"enp0s7" vanishing after switching from udev to eudev
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruk1n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: "enp0s7" vanishing after switching from udev to eu Reply with quote

Hi,

I followed the HowTo from steveL : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7576254.html#7576254

and after :
Code:
emerge -avC udev
emerge -av eudev
dispatch-conf
/etc/init.d/udev --nodeps restart
rc-update add udev-postmount default
emerge -cq virtual/udev

The enp0s7 interface don't show anymore with ifconfig -a. There is only : eth0, lo and sit0.

Does the udev->eudev switch implies the enp0s7->eth0 switch ?

Thanks in advance
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik switching to eudev shouldn't rename you interface.
I had it as enp0s3 and had to append "net.ifnames=0" to kernel command line to get eth0 back (I prefer an old name).
BTW, what does
Code:
# cat /proc/cmdline

shows?
ruk1n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.14.14-gentoo root=UUID=94bfc54c-b25e-4bfd-b836-d7aefc45f4f7 ro

I replaced enp0s7 by eth0 in /etc/conf.d/net and in /etc/init.d. For now, it seems to work.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruk1n wrote:
I replaced enp0s7 by eth0 in /etc/conf.d/net and in /etc/init.d. For now, it seems to work.

Yeah, that's back to the traditional, more predictable-in-practice names. Unless you're going to multi-home, you typically only have one ethernet adaptor, and perhaps one wifi (wlan0); occasionally something is run over ppp or vlan.

The point is that for the vast majority of users, including me, that's all they're ever going to have; especially the desktop users this is meant to be aimed at. In 20 years I've met maybe 4 people IRL who actually had machines with more than one wired interface, and without exception, they all worked on network infra, in one way or another. If anything, the trend is toward smaller devices.

Network admins are another matter, and they can take care of themselves. None of the ones I've spoken to prefers the "new" method at all; they'd much rather have a simple /etc/mactab as I think mdev supports.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveL, I used to have an MSI board with two ethernets, one 100MB, the other 1G. That makes me the fifth person. Sometimes one would be eth0, sometimes the other. Usually I just switched plugs, but it was annoying and I really wanted the faster interface. Then, on the forum, I learned about udev rules and wrote one making the faster mac address eth0 and the slower eth1. No more trouble. I regard the new names as an abomination.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
SteveL, I used to have an MSI board with two ethernets, one 100MB, the other 1G. That makes me the fifth person.

Lul; this isn't real-life, though it's nice to emeet you ;) A few people on the forums have spoken from the net-admin perspective (which is what I read when i read the word "admin"); what was it you were working on?
Quote:
Sometimes one would be eth0, sometimes the other. Usually I just switched plugs, but it was annoying and I really wanted the faster interface. Then, on the forum, I learned about udev rules and wrote one making the faster mac address eth0 and the slower eth1. No more trouble. I regard the new names as an abomination.

Heh; yeah, the best proposal I've heard is mactab, 2 columns required, MAC INAME [SPOOF] where optional spoof means "use this MAC addr externally"; the hardware is always going to report the same MAC to the kernel on startup afaik, and that would reserve the interface name.

The spoof would be used for eg vhosts to switch to a configured external MAC, to avoid net clashes from the same vm image, though coding that feels a bit trickier at this point (because we haven't got the first part yet.)

Does that sound reasonable to you?
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruk1n wrote:
Instead of struggeling with confusing "predictable" device names and boot loader kernel lines, you could easily move from Gentoo net.* scripts to using dhcpcd.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Network_management_using_DHCPCD
Configuration is much easier.
CyberFoxx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By default, eudev uses the "old" naming scheme for network interfaces. Remerge eudev with USE="-rule-generator" to get it to use the new predictable naming scheme.
I ran into this problem myself and it was only looking through the ebuild for eudev that I saw reference to it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: