Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
native vs x86_64 Gentoo binaries (portability)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: native vs x86_64 Gentoo binaries (portability) Reply with quote

I had Gentoo in my old laptop and it was a Lenovo G475 (Brazil). Now I've a Dell 14.

But I'm a little sad because I lost my previous Gentoo installation. I would like to copy someway from G475 HDD to Dell 14 HDD my Gentoo, but I think it's impossible to boot with Dell this way, because my Dell wouldn't recognize the G475 binaries or could have serious bugs. I was thinking if I just use x86_64 I could just copy from one notebook to another (both amd64) and the unique thing to change would be install graphic wireless/cable network drivers.

I'm asking if this is possible and what could be the possible downsides?
What about the compilation time, would it be shorter?

EDIT: I don't know if it helps but my CPU is an Intel® Core™ i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz × 4
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible *IF* the arch that you built your system for is the same.

I upgraded my system from a Core2 to an i5 a few years back. march=core2 can run on an i5 so I literally rebuilt my kernel to ensure it was compatible with the additional hardware (mainly the harddrive controller) and just rebuilt the hardware. The system booted fine.

If you are moving from an AMD to an Intel however... you are going to be out of luck UNLESS your march is just a generic 64bit[/bug]
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib, I missed one fundamental info: my old notebook has AMD E-350 APU. So in this case it should be x86_64.

But from your experience I see this is possible. A generic 64 bit installation would be good as a march=native?
Maybe just the kernel with native does worth compile in this case (to get more fluid apps and system).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: