View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: KDE Keeps Treating Local Time as GMT Reply with quote

I am running system 3.14.14-gentoo on an AMD64 system. I am also running KDE SC 4.14.1. My problem is that my system time keeps showing up as GMT.

I have my time zone set up for EST5EDT and time is set up as local time as I am dual booting Windows. What happens is that time will be fine for seveal days. Then it will show up 5 hours ahead of clock time. I can readjust the time manually and it will continue to be correct for several days.

As noted, the time display I am using is on the KDE control panel. I believe that it is also incorrect using date, but I haven't verified that recently.

Any ideas on how to correct this problem?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is called localtime.

There should be an article on the gentoo wiki

what is the output of the command date?

is it correct?
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unless we're talking about WinXP or earlier, Windows can be set up (at least it still could in Win7 - not sure about anything later) to use GMT fairly easily.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you could do would be to configure your installation to synchronise with a time server on the Internet so that the clock time is corrected whenever you boot, and periodically thereafter. If you're using OpenRC, I created a 'how to' a couple of years ago which might be of use: Synchronise your Gentoo Linux clock with an Internet time server (see Note below). If you're using systemd, I recently created a 'how to' for that too: Synchronising the clock using NTP in Sabayon Linux (the same steps apply in Gentoo, but the install & uninstall commands change of course).

Note: Things have become easier since I wrote that 'how to' for NetworkManagerDispatcher under OpenRC. These days it is no longer necessary to create a NetworkManagerDispatcher initscript; you just need to put the shell script you want NetworkManagerDispatcher to execute into the directory /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ and NetworkManager will take care of everything.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: