Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reup wrote:
I just downloaded the new DVD livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-20140826 and wanted to try it on VirtualBox before making a usb pendrive

unfortunately I cannot load the ISO as LIVECD in Virtualbox while I can do it with other distro

has someone noticed some error in the DVD format ? I downloaded twice on different system to check if there was something wrong with the first file

reup

I getting an error too. Mine says it failed to open the iso, with VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED, and Could not get the storage format. Here are the details:

Code:

Result Code:
VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component:
Medium
Interface:
IMedium {05f2bbb6-a3a6-4fb9-9b49-6d0dda7142ac}
Callee:
IVirtualBox {fafa4e17-1ee2-4905-a10e-fe7c18bf5554}
Callee RC:
VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
reup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same error.

sorry I did not post it before but I was not anymore on the right system :-(

reup

"Don't wiggle the tail of the frog in the oil of the frying peanuts"
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm the error and confirm that the miltilib version works.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
reup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-20140826 is the multilib right ?

so do you mean tha tit works if building a system or booting from DVD or USB but does not work on virtualbox ?

in my work, I use a USB pendrive with multiple live distro (multiboot) and would love to add Gentoo on it

reup

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reup,

livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-20140826 has a 32bit userland. I'm not sure if the kernel is 32 bit or not as it won't start in VBox.

livedvd-amd64-multilib-20140826.iso is the multilib version on top a 64 bit kernel. That boots for me.
I didn't do much with it as I use a dvorak-uk key map and its not one of the options.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
reup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried different settings in VirtualBox, for 32b processor and 64b as well, with the same result

I am happy that the 64b will work, I was hoping to get the multilib (32 and 64) to work as it would be easyer on older system

yes, there is still 32b systems out there :D

Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that the best installation CD ever!
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great!
Am I to understand this newest Gentoo Live dvd can be used to do an entire fresh install on one partition ( for example, only on sda3, with no seperate /boot or /home partitions),
along with its own Grub2 on sda3, which is booted from another Gentoo grub2's "advanced options" menu (in this case, on sda8)?

I have an at least 4-5 year old (but all currently updated) Gentoo 32bit installation (on sda3 only) that I'd like to update to 64bit, and then replace all data and email back.
My other 64 bit Gentoo installs have noticeably better overall performance than my three remaining 32 bit Gentoos. so I figure it's finallly time to abandon 32 bit forever.

IIRC, previously the Gentoo live dvds weren't able to do fresh installs.
A reliable and installable Gentoo 64 bit live dvd would sure make the migration less time consuming.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.7.2 USE=experimental python3_11
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944,

The LiveDVDs have always supported installing via the handbook. You have never needed more than a single partition for Gentoo but in days of old a separate /boot was recommended as some BIOSes could not read the entire HDD, which can cause intermittent hard to diagnose boot issues, depending on where some files reside on the drive.
Swap can go in a file if you are short of partitions.

Over the years, it has got easier to use the liveDVD as the basis of a binary install but this is not encouraged. If you do that, you get likewhoas Gentoo, not your own.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon,
Thanks for the reply. :)
I was thinking more along the lines of the Gentoo Live dvd being similar to any other distro (binary) and just running an installer and installing the gentoo live dvd "as is" onto sda3 (grub2, home, and boot included) just like you'd normally do with Mint, Kaos, Mageia, etc., etc.

Then I'd just edit the default etc/make.conf to my usual custom configuration, maybe build a new lean kernel, and then run emerge -e @world and let it do its thing.

But am I to understand it doesn't have a GUI installer (other than following the handbook)?

I could do that with a binary Sabayon dvd I suppose, but while Gentoo based that distro does have some quirks and even using portage instead of the Sbayon binary update system I'd still probably need have to figure out and modify a bunch of Sabayon scripts and configs. Might take more time than a fresh Gentoo install.

Maybe the best and simplest workaround would be to just:
1. Backup my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles, and all other sda3 data I need to preserve.
2. Reformat my old sda3 32bit ext3 target partition to ext4.
3. Clone one of my current 64 bit Gentoo partitions, and restore it on sda3 (it's on the same box, so no hardware changes)
4. Replace all backed up profiles and data back onto sda3.

Seems like that ought to do the trick. Am I missing anything?

EDIT: Hmmm. Since I'll be moving from ext3 to ext4, maybe it's better not to use cloning software, but mount both partitions, and use a simple cp -a /mnt/source/* /mnt/destination from a live cd environment? Or maybe DD- only problem is the destination partition is slightly smaller than the source?

SORRY- just realized I'm getting way off the topic of this thread :roll: No more about the copy/clone subject.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.7.2 USE=experimental python3_11
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944,

You can do a binary install from the liveDVD but there is no istaller to do it for you.

This is/was an "Install Wizard" on the desktop but it only appears on 1st April. :)
It may not be in the current liveDVD

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reup wrote:
unfortunately I cannot load the ISO as LIVECD in Virtualbox while I can do it with other distro

What's the issue? I would guess that you are trying to use the livedvd on the stable virtualbox package i.e arch and since the livedvd uses the ~arch (unstable/testing) version it has a conflict. Upgrade vbox to ~arch otherwise you won't be able to take advantage of accelerated gpu drivers.
splurben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Happy Happy Reply with quote

I'm having great results on INTEL UEFI motherboards with the new LIVEDVD Iron Penguin, legacy and new.

So far, so great!
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-984942-highlight-.html please make solved my theme :)

Im trying to test one.

Iron Penguin, it remindes me Stone Cold Penguin )))

Hurray for moving forward and up!
edborasky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Documentation on how to make a Gentoo Live DVD? Reply with quote

Is there documentation somewhere on how to create a Gentoo Live DVD like "Iron Penguin?" I'm currently making live DVDs based on Fedora but want to switch to Gentoo.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Documentation on how to make a Gentoo Live DVD? Reply with quote

edborasky wrote:
Is there documentation somewhere on how to create a Gentoo Live DVD like "Iron Penguin?" I'm currently making live DVDs based on Fedora but want to switch to Gentoo.

Creating the liveDVD is not trivial since it contains lots of manual tweaks but you can create a liveDVD with just KDE fairly easy with catalyst which is what was used to create this liveDVD plus some black magic after.
edborasky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Documentation on how to make a Gentoo Live DVD? Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:
edborasky wrote:

Creating the liveDVD is not trivial since it contains lots of manual tweaks but you can create a liveDVD with just KDE fairly easy with catalyst which is what was used to create this liveDVD plus some black magic after.

Thanks! I actually don't want a lot of desktops - either LXQT or GNOME 3 + GNOME Classic will work. KDE has too many options, tweaks and configuration settings for my taste but if that's what I get out of the box I can live with it, I guess.
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Radeon KMS problem Reply with quote

I'm trying out this one. On an older system it works without any problems, however on a recent UEFI system I encountered some inconvenience which perhaps should be called a bug.

This system has a fairly new Radeon videocard (can't look up the model right now since the LiveDVD seems not to include lspci, will add that later). On boot the system freezes in text mode. Upon closer inspection I found out that KMS (kernel modesetting) caused the problem. Disabling this allow the system to boot. Sadly, however, it boots in a 1024*768 resolution on my fullHD monitor...
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Radeon KMS problem Reply with quote

Helena wrote:
I'm trying out this one. On an older system it works without any problems, however on a recent UEFI system I encountered some inconvenience which perhaps should be called a bug.

This system has a fairly new Radeon videocard (can't look up the model right now since the LiveDVD seems not to include lspci, will add that later). On boot the system freezes in text mode. Upon closer inspection I found out that KMS (kernel modesetting) caused the problem. Disabling this allow the system to boot. Sadly, however, it boots in a 1024*768 resolution on my fullHD monitor...

Unfortunately this is a problem that is hard to fix since drivers for your specific card might have issues with the kernel in use. You might be able to set a higher resolution once you're on the terminal using xrandr but for reference do show us your 'lspci -k' output and if lspci is not on livedvd, just emerge it.
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Radeon KMS problem Reply with quote

Sorry for a longer reply but it's probably best to include a little more information. I started the USB stick in UEFI mode. First, here is the driver situation (both lspci and lsmod):
Code:
livecd ~ # lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 0c00
        Kernel driver in use: hsw_uncore
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c31
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
        Kernel modules: xhci_hcd
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c3a
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c2d
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
        Kernel modules: ehci_pci
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device c892
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c26
        Kernel modules: ehci_pci
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation B85 Express LPC Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c50
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c02
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c22
        Kernel modules: i2c_i801
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Curacao PRO [Radeon R9 270]
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology Device e271
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series]
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology Device aab0
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 10a1
        Kernel driver in use: alx
        Kernel modules: alx
livecd ~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
thermal                 8295  0
ipv6                  252547  30
x86_pkg_temp_thermal     4327  0
intel_powerclamp        7222  0
coretemp                5100  0
kvm_intel             119679  0
kvm                   224240  1 kvm_intel
alx                    24589  0
crct10dif_pclmul        4274  0
crc32_pclmul            2563  0
snd_hda_codec_realtek    42614  1
uvcvideo               58375  0
crc32c_intel           13665  0
snd_usb_audio         103135  3
videobuf2_vmalloc       2400  1 uvcvideo
ghash_clmulni_intel     3394  0
snd_usbmidi_lib        16533  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     31246  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    38177  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
mdio                    2663  1 alx
videobuf2_memops        1495  1 videobuf2_vmalloc
serio_raw               4473  0
microcode              11447  0
snd_hda_intel          16583  9
videobuf2_core         22936  1 uvcvideo
snd_rawmidi            16493  1 snd_usbmidi_lib
videodev               88868  2 uvcvideo,videobuf2_core
joydev                  8583  0
pcspkr                  1715  0
snd_hda_controller     14334  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec          66108  5 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_seq_device          4516  1 snd_rawmidi
snd_hwdep               5357  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                62623  5 snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
i2c_i801                8478  0
snd_timer              17150  1 snd_pcm
snd                    49451  36 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_usb_audio,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device
processor              22569  4
xts                     2663  0
aesni_intel           141407  0
lrw                     3125  1 aesni_intel
gf128mul                5210  2 lrw,xts
glue_helper             3721  1 aesni_intel
ablk_helper             1580  1 aesni_intel
cryptd                  6686  3 ghash_clmulni_intel,aesni_intel,ablk_helper
aes_x86_64              7231  1 aesni_intel
iscsi_tcp               7708  0
libiscsi_tcp           10474  1 iscsi_tcp
libiscsi               30892  2 libiscsi_tcp,iscsi_tcp
scsi_transport_iscsi    59308  2 iscsi_tcp,libiscsi
vmxnet3                31896  0
virtio_net             16495  0
tg3                   127780  0
libphy                 19047  1 tg3
sky2                   41912  0
r8169                  47026  0
pcnet32                27970  0
mii                     3283  2 r8169,pcnet32
igb                   116710  0
ptp                     8716  2 igb,tg3
pps_core                6072  1 ptp
dca                     4216  1 igb
e1000                  85823  0
bnx2                   64594  0
atl1c                  28315  0
fuse                   65777  1
zfs                   796661  0
zunicode              315704  1 zfs
zavl                    3925  1 zfs
zcommon                29803  1 zfs
znvpair                35876  2 zfs,zcommon
spl                    48929  5 zfs,zavl,zunicode,zcommon,znvpair
nfs                   100809  0
lockd                  51038  1 nfs
sunrpc                151314  2 nfs,lockd
btrfs                 667548  0
zlib_deflate           17443  2 spl,btrfs
multipath               5408  0
linear                  3199  0
raid0                   6283  0
dm_raid                14639  0
raid456                54793  1 dm_raid
async_raid6_recov       1241  1 raid456
async_memcpy            1342  1 raid456
async_pq                3780  1 raid456
async_xor               2833  2 async_pq,raid456
async_tx                1686  5 async_pq,raid456,async_xor,async_memcpy,async_raid6_recov
raid1                  24952  1 dm_raid
raid10                 35336  1 dm_raid
xor                     9992  2 btrfs,async_xor
raid6_pq               89350  3 async_pq,btrfs,async_raid6_recov
dm_snapshot            23636  0
dm_bufio               12865  1 dm_snapshot
dm_crypt               14209  0
dm_mirror              11563  0
dm_region_hash          6663  1 dm_mirror
dm_log                  7268  2 dm_region_hash,dm_mirror
dm_mod                 68230  6 dm_raid,dm_log,dm_mirror,dm_bufio,dm_crypt,dm_snapshot
firewire_core          45718  0
hid_sunplus             1384  0
hid_sony                9865  0
led_class               2803  1 hid_sony
hid_samsung             2733  0
hid_pl                  2238  0
hid_petalynx            1865  0
hid_monterey            1480  0
hid_microsoft           3194  0
hid_logitech           13614  0
hid_gyration            2003  0
hid_ezkey               1329  0
hid_cypress             1785  0
hid_chicony             2112  0
hid_cherry              1464  0
hid_belkin              1581  0
hid_apple               4972  0
hid_a4tech              1745  0
sl811_hcd               8983  0
usbhid                 22634  0
xhci_hcd               83876  0
ohci_hcd               17215  0
uhci_hcd               19821  0
usb_storage            43933  1
ehci_pci                3016  0
ehci_hcd               37819  1 ehci_pci
mpt2sas               118891  0
raid_class              3092  1 mpt2sas
aic94xx                62582  0
libsas                 56943  1 aic94xx
lpfc                  526324  0
qla2xxx               469609  0
megaraid_sas           79444  0
megaraid_mbox          23820  0
megaraid_mm             6768  1 megaraid_mbox
megaraid               34531  0
aacraid                67692  0
sx8                    11212  0
DAC960                 61302  0
hpsa                   63327  0
cciss                  43419  0
3w_9xxx                28994  0
3w_xxxx                20732  0
mptsas                 32902  0
mptfc                  10301  0
scsi_transport_fc      38789  3 lpfc,qla2xxx,mptfc
scsi_tgt                8136  1 scsi_transport_fc
mptspi                 11115  0
mptscsih               15937  3 mptfc,mptsas,mptspi
mptbase                54932  4 mptfc,mptsas,mptspi,mptscsih
atp870u                22505  0
dc395x                 26384  0
qla1280                20112  0
dmx3191d                9521  0
sym53c8xx              61147  0
gdth                   71253  0
advansys               43608  0
initio                 14668  0
BusLogic               19535  0
arcmsr                 23578  0
aic7xxx               102762  0
aic79xx               107490  0
scsi_transport_spi     16989  5 mptspi,sym53c8xx,aic79xx,aic7xxx,dmx3191d
sg                     21046  0
pdc_adma                5101  0
sata_inic162x           6389  0
sata_mv                23057  0
ata_piix               23767  0
ahci                   22627  0
libahci                18068  1 ahci
sata_qstor              4916  0
sata_vsc                3897  0
sata_uli                2948  0
sata_sis                3581  0
sata_sx4                7692  0
sata_nv                17938  0
sata_via                7555  0
sata_svw                4205  0
sata_sil24              9959  0
sata_sil                7119  0
sata_promise            9575  0
pata_sl82c105           3565  0
pata_via                8204  0
pata_jmicron            2371  0
pata_marvell            2851  0
pata_sis               10134  1 sata_sis
pata_netcell            2185  0
pata_pdc202xx_old       4350  0
pata_triflex            3095  0
pata_atiixp             4387  0
pata_amd               10111  0
pata_ali                9029  0
pata_it8213             3370  0
pata_pcmcia             9676  0
pcmcia                 28635  1 pata_pcmcia
pcmcia_core            10520  1 pcmcia
pata_ns87415            3188  0
pata_ns87410            2744  0
pata_serverworks        5084  0
pata_artop              4806  0
pata_it821x             8349  0
pata_hpt3x2n            5356  0
pata_hpt3x3             2976  0
pata_hpt37x            10832  0
pata_hpt366             4832  0
pata_cmd64x             6834  0
pata_efar               3518  0
pata_rz1000             2701  0
pata_sil680             4513  0
pata_radisys            2898  0
pata_pdc2027x           6179  0
pata_mpiix              2822  0

I included the lsmod output since it may be a framebuffer problem. This is further demonstrated by the following lines from dmesg:
Code:
[    0.717355] Linux agpgart interface v0.103
[    0.717391] efifb: probing for efifb
[    0.717398] efifb: framebuffer at 0xe0000000, mapped to 0xffffc90004680000, using 3072k, total 3072k
[    0.717400] efifb: mode is 1024x768x32, linelength=4096, pages=1
[    0.717402] efifb: scrolling: redraw
[    0.717403] efifb: Truecolor: size=8:8:8:8, shift=24:16:8:0
[    0.718798] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
[    0.720088] fb0: EFI VGA frame buffer device
[    0.720143] input: Power Button as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0
[    0.720168] ACPI: Power Button [PWRB]
[    0.720202] input: Power Button as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input1
[    0.720224] ACPI: Power Button [PWRF]
[    0.720288] xenfs: not registering filesystem on non-xen platform
[    0.720315] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[    0.720334] [drm] VGACON disable radeon kernel modesetting.
[    0.720351] [drm:radeon_init] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!
[    0.720369] drm/i810 does not support SMP
[    0.720994] brd: module loaded
I have an already running Gentoo implementation on this system and I will post the same output from there shortly.
Helena
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the promised output from an already running gentoo-system, booted in normal mode (not UEFI):
Code:
OberonGentoo ~ # lspci -k     
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 0c00
        Kernel driver in use: hsw_uncore
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c31
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c3a
        Kernel driver in use: mei_me
        Kernel modules: mei_me
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c2d
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device c892
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c26
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation B85 Express LPC Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c50
        Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
        Kernel modules: lpc_ich
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c02
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 8c22
        Kernel modules: i2c_i801
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Curacao PRO [Radeon R9 270]
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology Device e271
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series]
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology Device aab0
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 10a1
        Kernel driver in use: alx
        Kernel modules: alx
OberonGentoo ~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nct6775                37467  0
hwmon_vid               3036  1 nct6775
hid_generic             1057  0
usbhid                 35458  0
snd_hda_codec_generic    47950  1
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     35646  1
radeon               1299817  3
x86_pkg_temp_thermal     4495  0
snd_hda_intel          17587  4
snd_hda_controller     15842  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec          77608  4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
snd_pcm                70508  4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_controller
alx                    27612  0
drm_kms_helper         33225  1 radeon
snd_timer              17535  1 snd_pcm
pcspkr                  1867  0
ttm                    59383  1 radeon
mei_me                 10157  0
snd                    54514  14 snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
i2c_i801               10054  0
lpc_ich                13592  0
coretemp                5908  0
mdio                    2991  1 alx
mei                    46320  1 mei_me
mfd_core                3025  1 lpc_ich
soundcore               4970  2 snd,snd_hda_codec
and some details from dmesg:
Code:
[    1.422948] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
[    1.423123] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (PITCAIRN 0x1002:0x6811 0x174B:0xE271).
[    1.423133] [drm] register mmio base: 0xF0000000
[    1.423134] [drm] register mmio size: 262144
[    1.423179] ATOM BIOS: C63001
[    1.423227] radeon 0000:01:00.0: VRAM: 2048M 0x0000000000000000 - 0x000000007FFFFFFF (2048M used)
[    1.423229] radeon 0000:01:00.0: GTT: 1024M 0x0000000080000000 - 0x00000000BFFFFFFF
[    1.423229] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=2048M, BAR=256M
[    1.423230] [drm] RAM width 256bits DDR
[    1.423256] [TTM] Zone  kernel: Available graphics memory: 4049242 kiB
[    1.423257] [TTM] Zone   dma32: Available graphics memory: 2097152 kiB
[    1.423258] [TTM] Initializing pool allocator
[    1.423260] [TTM] Initializing DMA pool allocator
[    1.423270] [drm] radeon: 2048M of VRAM memory ready
[    1.423271] [drm] radeon: 1024M of GTT memory ready.
[    1.423281] [drm] Loading PITCAIRN Microcode
[    1.424916] [drm] radeon/PITCAIRN_mc2.bin: 31100 bytes
[    1.424918] [drm] Internal thermal controller with fan control
[    1.424953] [drm] probing gen 2 caps for device 8086:c01 = 261ad03/e
here the radeon kernel driver does load
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not work radeondrmfb

System hang up after switching vesafb to radeondrmfb on my notebook. Otherwise nofb booted without problems!

On other systems works GOOD, Tested livedvd-amd64-multilib-20140826.iso with qemu-x86_64 cdrom boot and on nvidia platforms!

On qemu-x86_64 i had a problem with grub-0.97-r12 setup. Drive /dev/xvda1 doesn't seen by grub command
Quote:

# grub
grub> root (hd0,0)

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

Otherwise Gentoo-amd64-multilib-2012.1.iso see drive like /dev/sda1 and grub can setup bootloader without a problems...

Maybe i can use other drivers for Xen block device? Or /boot/grub/device.map edition!?

ifconfig eth0 IP.IP.IP.IP/MASK dropes IP by NetworkManager every network scans!?

Good work! Now i have DOCACHE Option!!!! I'm very happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P/S After boot nofb kernel with docache option and removing USB Flash drive i try to start Chromium and SystemSettings and nothing is started !? Maybe docache option working with bugs?

This The best LIVE DVD i ever used!!!!
ycaniou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just trying it now. It looks great.
One thing: since the keyboard layout is asked when the CD boots (azerty for fr here), it would be great to keep this layout in KDE when it starts.
-- and maybe ask before if the user wants the corresponding locale, or asking if he wants a specific locale before KDE starts actually, would improve the user experience.

Great work!

----- Edit
Yet some troubles, present also in the minimal installation CD for amd64:
- the keyboard, if azerty, does not have most of the Alt-Gr keys and others are obtained differently (pipe is Alt-Gr 1 instead of Alt-Gr 6 for example)
in console.
- the issue concerning the Broadcom BCM57780 chipset is present. As mentioned at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_Configuration,
some modules have to be loaded in a given order:
# modprobe -r tg3
# modprobe broadcom
# modprobe tg3
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: