Unicode conforming archive managers?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Unicode conforming archive managers? Reply with quote

I use KDE as my primary desktop. The package 'kde-base/ark' is the default compressed file manager. Recently, I opened an Official Sound Track zip file of an Anime series I'm watching and was surprised with entries like:
Code:
01 - ????????????????????...mp3
02 - ??????????????????.mp3
03 - ????????????????????????????????????!.mp3

This is a surprise because I'm set up with unicode enabled by default as well as both US EN and JN locales and with two different Japanese character input methods and with several Japanese/Korean/Chinese Unicode fonts enabled.

Everwhere else such as 'ls' (in my konsoles) or in directory listings in all of my file managers, I see the correct Unicode characters in my file names. The currently installed version of 'ark':
Code:
# eix kde-base/ark
[I] kde-base/ark
     Available versions:  (4) 4.12.5(4/4.12)^t (~)4.13.3(4/4.13)^t{tbz2} (~)4.14.0(4/4.14)^t{tbz2}
       {aqua +archive +bzip2 debug +handbook lzma}
     Installed versions:  4.14.0(4)^t{tbz2}(11:15:21 AM 08/29/2014)(archive bzip2 handbook -aqua -debug -lzma)
     Homepage:            http://www.kde.org/applications/utilities/ark http://utils.kde.org/projects/ark
     Description:         KDE Archiving tool
doesn't indicate any Unicode USE flags so I assumed that 'ark' makes use of whatever default I set up for KDE.

To me, this implies that 'ark' doesn't conform but I haven't the knowledge or skills to determine that.

I'm assuming either I've misconfigured something somewhere or I need a Unicode conforming archive manager.

I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions here so help would be appreciated!

[Edit]

Using Dolphin's built-in 'extract to' tool extracts the files properly with the correctly appearing Japanese characters. This is apparently a display issue only with 'ark'. This kind of defeats the purpose of using 'ark' to see what's in a zip file prior to extraction. Oh well.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd still appreciate them. ;)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Unicode conforming archive managers? Reply with quote

dufeu wrote:
Using Dolphin's built-in 'extract to' tool extracts the files properly with the correctly appearing Japanese characters. This is apparently a display issue only with 'ark'. This kind of defeats the purpose of using 'ark' to see what's in a zip file prior to extraction. Oh well.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd still appreciate them. ;)

I'd ask in #gentoo-kde; the channel is still going strong.

(IRC:chat.freenode.net as I'm sure you know.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: