Laptop screen stays blank after lid is opened
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hololeap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Laptop screen stays blank after lid is opened Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm working on an install on my Asus Q200E and everything is nearly perfect except one annoying little issue. Sometimes the screen will remain blank after I shut my laptop lid for a while and then re-open it. It doesn't seem to happen unless it is left alone for a little bit, although I don't know how long that is... maybe 30 minutes or more. I am currently booting straight into KDE 4.12.5 and have not used the laptop without X to see if the problem is related to X or KDE.

If I can log into a console or SSH into it, I can remedy the problem with the following:

Code:
echo 100 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

This tells me that something is setting the backlight to 0 when the lid is closed for long enough or perhaps when the system has no user input for a certain amount of time.

Here are some relevant snippets:

uname -a
Quote:
Linux epitome 3.14.14-gentoo #4 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 6 17:01:27 MDT 2014 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2365M CPU @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

lspci -v
http://pastebin.com/MiYNiSu8

eix --world --and --not --system
http://pastebin.com/91k6rjBj

zcat /proc/config.gz
http://pastebin.com/ZGcehP1H
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

did you check if Kde is configure to do something when the lid is close? Something like put the system in suspend mode. See Kde System Settings in Power Management section. Also, the Screen Saver section can be review.
hololeap
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For each of the power configurations I had it set to "Turn off screen" when the lid is closed. I have now set that to "Do nothing" and the screen does in fact still turn off when I shut the laptop.

The screen saver is turned off as far as I can tell. Under Display and Monitor > Screen locker the type is set to "Simple Locker" and "Start automatically after" is unchecked.

Also, under Power Management > Advanced Settings I have "Lock screen on resume" and "Never prevent an action on lid close" unchecked.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Systemd, in /etc/systemd/logind.conf, you can set those lines
Code:
HandleLidSwitch=ignore
LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=on

to tell Systemd to do nothing when the lid is close. The screen will go blank, that's all. Note that I am testing presently on for LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited. It may be off.

The logind.conf Systemd configuration file is important for the power key, the lid switch, etc behavior.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: