EFI Stub boot on Mac without GRUB/rEFInd/etc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: EFI Stub boot on Mac without GRUB/rEFInd/etc Reply with quote

My goal is an attempt at booting Linux via EFI stub with only Apple's boot loader. Does it sound crazy?

I read this http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/efistub.html entire page about EFI stub loading and I think I have things right with kernel EFI stub enabled and the command line set to 'ro root=/dev/sda5'. Things boot but things are weird. This is OpenRC just to note (although I plan to switch to systemd ASAP).

I have managed to follow these instructions http://glandium.org/blog/?p=2830 within Gentoo (chroot on Live CD) and got a Gentoo logo booting EFI stub (no Grub or similar). It is pretty cool but..

There's no keyboard (keyboard lighting does not happen either), no mouse, no USB whatsoever. Can't SSH in because that would require USB support. No wireless auto-config either. Nvidia drivers (the real latest ones) appear to have loaded because otherwise KDM would never show up.

I am wondering, how do you get the normal verbose Linux console to load when you use EFI stub? Do we need an initrd in this case (there's no LUKS or anything similar)? I do plan to switch to LUKS later and know I will need initrd later but for now it does not appear to be necessary. I do have one though, generated by Dracut. Specifying it (correctly with \ instead of /) to the kernel arguments does not change anything.

This is the MacBook Pro 2014 latest model.
Tatsh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hit the point where OS X cannot start (searching for root volume). I'm using FileVault 2 and recovery won't even show a valid partition to start up into (where it would ask for a password). So somehow I have corrupted my set-up here.

I'm going to restore OS X back and start again, but with rEFInd as it seems a lot safer. I will still try to avoid getting a Hybrid MBR and the like as I want FileVault 2, LUKS on the Linux partition. Therefore unless I can share the ESP fully with the pure-EFI GRUB/kernel stub, I need 5 partitions, something you cannot do with a hybrid MBR.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: