UEFI boot cd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wizumwalt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: UEFI boot cd Reply with quote

I've been unable to get UEFI to boot a live cd or systemrescuecd. When I go into the BIOS and change mode from UEFI to BIOS, I am able to boot a minimal live cd. And from there I used gdisk to create two partitions, the first is GPT (FAT32), and the second is the LVM container where everything to include / and /usr reside.

But then when I go back into the BIOS and change mode to UEFI and try to boot systemrescuecd where I select bootx64.efi which then takes me to a GRUB screen, I then make a selection from there, and the screen just goes blank. And even now, I seem not to be able to boot back using BIOS mode.

Anyone have ideas where I'm going wrong?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the make/model of your machine?
What have you done about secure boot?
Wizumwalt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Dell r920 and I have been looking for secure boot, but was unable to find it within the BIOS settings.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the manual for the r920 does not mention secure boot
it does mention TPM a lot
it says
Quote:
Choosing The System Boot Mode
System Setup enables you to specify the boot mode for installing your operating system:
• BIOS boot mode (the default) is the standard BIOS-level boot interface.
• UEFI boot mode is an enhanced 64-bit boot interface based on Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)
specifications that overlays the system BIOS.
You must select the boot mode in the Boot Mode field of the Boot Settings screen of System Setup. Once you specify the
boot mode, the system boots in the specified boot mode and you then proceed to install your operating system from that
mode. Thereafter, you must boot the system in the same boot mode (BIOS or UEFI) to access the installed operating
system.
Trying to boot the operating system from the other boot mode will cause the system to halt at startup.
NOTE: Operating systems must be UEFI-compatible to be installed from the UEFI boot mode. DOS and 32-bit
operating systems do not support UEFI and can only be installed from the BIOS boot mode.
NOTE: For the latest information on supported operating systems, go to dell.com/ossupport.

The highlighted quote does exactly explain the behavior you report. You probably need to talk to DELL about installing an unsupported operating system. The BIOS does have a reset; that may clear the boot mode established.

Last edited by DONAHUE on Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:40 am; edited 3 times in total
fernan82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: UEFI boot cd Reply with quote

Wizumwalt wrote:

I've been unable to get UEFI to boot a live cd or systemrescuecd. When I go into the BIOS and change mode from UEFI to BIOS, I am able to boot a minimal live cd. And from there I used gdisk to create two partitions, the first is GPT (FAT32), and the second is the LVM container where everything to include / and /usr reside.

But then when I go back into the BIOS and change mode to UEFI and try to boot systemrescuecd where I select bootx64.efi which then takes me to a GRUB screen, I then make a selection from there, and the screen just goes blank. And even now, I seem not to be able to boot back using BIOS mode.

Anyone have ideas where I'm going wrong?

It may be booting but the video mode is wrong. Do you have a caps lock LED? If the led works when you press caps lock then it's booting. You can try editing the grub entry to set a different video mode (not on the kernel command line but in grub before loading the kernel) and the kernel should support the EFI or simple framebuffer but a live CD should already do that.
Wizumwalt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, I am doing everything correctly about boot modes. I think I screwed up by not putting anything on the GPT partition, it's empty.

So when I now power up the machine, I'm at the point where GRUB2 is loaded (and to answer the last post, the CAPS lock does light up the Caps Lock LED on the keyboard when in GRUB2). But if I choose any one of the kernel options from the GRUB2 menu list, they all boot up with a blank screen.

If I select 'e' to edit from GRUB2, the SystemRescueCd (64bit boot options) look like this.
set gfxpayload=keep
linux /isolinux/rescue64
initrd /isolinux/initram.igz

And then booting from here, leads to a blank screen as well and no Caps Lock LED light functionality. I'm really hating GRUB2. Eventually, I think I'm going to build a kernel and just install it on the GPT partition. But for now, might there be an easier way to get a livecd/systemrescuecd to boot?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: