NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine,

I have two issues with your original post
1) that website hits can be used to imply market share
2) that it matters anyway.

For 1, maybe windows is at the top because windows users are not used to googling around for things so use wikipedia more, thus inflating the Windows 'market share'.
For 2, an operating system is a tool to do a job - everyone should use the tool that suits their job.

It would be nice to see Linux desktop market share get past 10%, which it where server software vendors took a serious interest in Linux.
That would make closed source software vendors take Linux seriously. Thats not to say they would open source their applications - just much more likely to make them available for Linux.
Its the applications that get the job done, rather than the underlying operating system.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Linux has 1% of Linux desktop marketshare Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
Wikipedia posted some statistics for browser user agents:

http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportOperatingSystems.htm

It seems that Linux has 2.04% market share (91,155K requests) while Gentoo Linux has 0.02% marketshare (849K requests). Gentoo Linux therefore has approximately 1% Linux desktop marketshare. Gentoo Linux is also more popular than Red Hat Linux (counting CentOS separately).

By the way, Ubuntu Linux is at 37% market share. We should do something about that. How do people feel about asking Ubuntu Linux users to try Sabayon Linux?
WOW! Gentoo has minimum ~850K users! And here I was thinking only me and NeddySeagoon used Gentoo Linux...:-D
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Linux has 1% of Linux desktop marketshare Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:

It seems that Linux has 2.04% market share (91,155K requests) while Gentoo Linux has 0.02% marketshare (849K requests). Gentoo Linux therefore has approximately 1% Linux desktop marketshare. Gentoo Linux is also more popular than Red Hat Linux (counting CentOS separately).

By the way, Ubuntu Linux is at 37% market share. We should do something about that. How do people feel about asking Ubuntu Linux users to try Sabayon Linux?
WOW! Gentoo has minimum ~850K users! And here I was thinking only me and NeddySeagoon used Gentoo Linux...:-D

Those are HTTP requests, not users.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Linux has 1% of Linux desktop marketshare Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
devsk wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:

Those are HTTP requests, not users.
at least they would be from unique IPs? no? what good are those numbers otherwise.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need to hit the 1 million users mark this year! I hope to be part of that process!
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Linux has 1% of Linux desktop marketshare Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
And here I was thinking only me and NeddySeagoon used Gentoo Linux...:-D

I'm sorry, i might not be the person that should tell you that, but NeddySeagoon doesn't use gentoo, that's a legend. I'm afraid you're alone using it.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be more concerned about increasing Desktop Linux market share, after that Gentoo's will increase too.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hits on a website are a really silly way to gauge market share. A large percentage of Gentoo boxes are going to be servers anyway.

Sabayon is a (sorry to say it) failed attempt to make Gentoo into Ubutnu. That equo package management system is what made me figure out how to get Gentoo to recognize my witless card.
It is very fragile and breaks packages frequently (and using portage to fix it breaks it even more because it does not check for what portage has done). So I would say that if Ubuntu grew in market share, to 10% of the total, then the nerds will branch out to other distros like Fedora, Gentoo, Slackware, and (Insert obscure distro here)
The point is, that Ubuntu gets people started even if the don't stick with it.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin swordmaster wrote:
Hits on a website are a really silly way to gauge market share. A large percentage of Gentoo boxes are going to be servers anyway.

Sabayon is a (sorry to say it) failed attempt to make Gentoo into Ubutnu. That equo package management system is what made me figure out how to get Gentoo to recognize my witless card.
It is very fragile and breaks packages frequently (and using portage to fix it breaks it even more because it does not check for what portage has done). So I would say that if Ubuntu grew in market share, to 10% of the total, then the nerds will branch out to other distros like Fedora, Gentoo, Slackware, and (Insert obscure distro here)

This is about desktop marketshare, not server marketshare.
Wing0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
Anyway, 1% of the Linux desktop market is huge for any distribution. I made a small comment about expanding it and everyone seemed to jump at me. Is it wrong to want people to use your favorite distribution?

No It is not wrong to want people to use your favorite distribution. But I think you are targeting the wrong Operating Systems.
I think we should ask windows XP users to try Gobo Linux. (file systems are similar)
deefster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:

Agree that Ubuntu is basically training wheels for Linux, although I know many who have simply decided to migrate to it because they have gotten...what's the word...lazy, and don't want to spend lots of time on upkeep and care for their systems.

Bottom line is people will end up where they are comfortable. There's no real reason to actively recruit, because people will seek out what hole they are trying to fill. Do they want rolling updates or scheduled releases? Do they want more power over how packages are built and installed, or do they just want next-next-finish?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very strange thread. It brings to mind what depontius wrote about culture clashes, and people bringing their cultural attitudes with them. As others have pointed out, Gentoo users don't tend to care about evangelising to other people that much. We might recommend Gentoo in some situations, but we're also likely to recommend something else, depending on the person and what type of usage.

There is no competition, except in the heads of people who want that old narrative. Move on, ffs.
hasufell
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
As Gentoos philosophy is to stick as close to ${UPSTREAM} as possible, it would make no difference to Gentoo.

That's not even true for the only stable "kernel sources" in the tree. Even base system is partly heavily patched, including non-trivial packages like openssl.

Then we have python eclasses which are a big magic wrapper and assume a lot of things that often work and sometimes go horribly wrong which may force devs to write custom python scripts to make the ebuild work.

Then we have QA standards about unbundling libraries which often involve heavy patching and may go horrible wrong as well (e.g. irrlicht).

Our lua packages have adopted pure debian hacks, randomly adding sonames. A lot of people also think it's good to add/change pkgconfig files downstream (we barely escaped a pkgconfig.eclass! check the dev ML history)... oh, I could go on about this.

Point is: there is no consistent attitude about how close to stick to upstream.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: