mpv (badly) broken
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: mpv (badly) broken Reply with quote

My mpv package is severely broken (and I've tied re-emerging it, hell I even did "emerge -eav @world" just recently, had no effect)

The problem is that the application hangs after I use it.

Say I launch a file with it, it will play this file just me. I close it, but the process remains open and therefore I cannot open another file in another instance (i.e. I can only play one move file)

It is impossible for me it seems to terminate the process with killall -9 mpv and it also prevents my system from rebooting (because the process absolutely will not end my system hangs on reboot).

The process also does not end if I open it in the terminal and then press "ctrl+c" or even close the terminal.

I would really like a proper workaround for this, but in the meantime, is there any surefire way for me to end the process?

More info:
DE is KDE (highly doubt this is related)

The OSC (On screen controls ui) does not work.

the "audio-channels=5.1" option gets rejected but besides this, the player fails to properly launch if just "/etc/mpv/mpv.conf" exists at all.

Applicable useflags:
Code:
media-video/mpv-0.3.10  USE="X alsa cdio dvd enca encode iconv jpeg ladspa lcms libass mpg123 opengl postproc quvi shm vdpau xinerama xscreensaver xv -bluray -bs2b -doc-pdf -dvb -dvdnav -jack -joystick -libcaca -libguess -lirc -lua -luajit -openal -oss -portaudio -pulseaudio -pvr -radio -samba -sdl (-selinux) -v4l -vaapi -vcd -vf-dlopen -wayland"

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=corei7-avx -Os -pipe"

Code:

#ps aux | grep mpv
xandis    2834  0.0  0.1 239236 31672 ?        D    04:56   0:00 /usr/bin/mpv --really-quiet --force-window -- /mnt/storage/Anime/_Unseen/Ranma/S4/[ax]_ranma_-_season_04_-_01_-_the_return_of_the_hawaiian_headmaster_from_hell__mg_dvd_rip_[34a50834].mkv

Pearlseattle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just emerged mpv-0.3.10 (I had before 0.3.6 which worked perfectly on all PCs) and by running "mpv --really-quiet --force-window -- /myfile.mkv" it did not have any problems exiting from the video when I pressed the "q" key => maybe you try to terminate the app using some other method?

I don't have a "/etc/mpv/mpv.conf" file, so I did not understand if you have the problem only when such a file exists (and if yes, then only when it contains what) or always in any case + with all kind of files or if with only specific ones.

The problems with killing the application with ctrl+c are "normal" and not specific to mpv but common between mpv, mplayer and mplayer2.
If you kill the master thread with "kill <master_pid>" then does it still hang?

In any case:
weird that you're not able to kill it with "-9" => in such a case the OS should take complete control of the thread and terminate it in any case => do you see by chance if after issuing the command the threads are tagged (in top/htop/nmon/ps) as being "zombie"?

Personal question:
You're using "CFLAGS="-march=corei7-avx -Os -pipe"" => I always used since the recent gcc versions "-march=native" => isn't gcc supposed to make "-march=corei7-avx" superfluous/embedded with "-march=native"?
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't know about that march native vs corei7-avx really. I just followed something I found on the wiki about my processor (sandy bridge i7s). I doubt it's doing any harm, but running an i7 with makeopts set to 9 is a joy 8) . I have however heard that htere is no need to set this (i.e. native should do just fine for all processors, I wonder if it's an auto-detect thing, I just don't know). I don't know about the zombie thing, currently haven't got mpv emerged anymore, but I had problems with playback in VLC as well (rendering was all messed up and it refused to load subtitles) I guess I'm just destined to not watch stuff with this gentoo install :evil:

I confirmed that the audio-channels has been deprecated and replaced by "channels" but strange thing is that channels didn't work (i.e. I set 5.1 or 6 but only got 2ch sound, although perhaps this was because I was playing a 2ch file in that case and it actually would have worked if I had played a 5.1 file) I also had problems with mpv not launching on arch when my mpv.conf existed.

The problem was that I had the "VO" option set in that regard (it rejected my "vo=opengl-hq" for some reason and just crashed on launch) I did not get the process hang in there though like on here.
Pearlseattle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but running an i7 with makeopts set to 9 is a joy 8)

:D yes, it's fascinating seeing the prompt scrolling that fast :)
If Intel would be marketing Gentoo and make it gain market share than they wouldn't have at all problems selling at least as many CPUs as during their golden years :)

Quote:
it rejected my "vo=opengl-hq" for some reason and just crashed on launch)

You have something really wrong going on.
I use "--vo=opengl-hq:scaler-resizes-only" for all files I play (both anime and normal movies on a handmade mediacenter) and I have absolutely no problem.

Actually mpv solved for me a lot of problems with video scaling that I had before since forever with mplayer and mplayer2 and the only problem I have is that even if I use "--fs" some videos are not started in fullscreen (then I then just press "f" and it's ok).
All the rest is ok.

Can it therefore be that it has something to do with flags or HW?

If you ever switch back to mpv:

Flags I use (on the mediacenter - a bit oldish):
Code:
# eix media-video/mpv
[I] media-video/mpv
     Available versions:  ~0.3.5 (~)0.3.6 ~0.3.7 ~0.3.8 (~)0.3.9 **9999 {+X +alsa bluray bs2b +cdio -doc-pdf dvb +dvd dvdnav +enca encode +iconv jack -joystick jpeg ladspa lcms +libass libcaca libguess lirc lua luajit +mpg123 -openal +opengl oss portaudio (+)postproc pulseaudio pvr +quvi -radio samba sdl selinux +shm v4l vaapi vcd vdpau vf-dlopen wayland xinerama +xscreensaver +xv}
     Installed versions:  0.3.9(20:46:50 05/03/14)(X alsa cdio dvb dvd enca encode iconv joystick jpeg libass mpg123 opengl postproc quvi sdl shm v4l vaapi vcd vdpau xscreensaver xv -bluray -bs2b -doc-pdf -dvdnav -jack -ladspa -lcms -libcaca -libguess -lirc -lua -luajit -openal -oss -portaudio -pulseaudio -pvr -radio -samba -selinux -vf-dlopen -wayland -xinerama)
     Homepage:            http://mpv.io/
     Description:         Video player based on MPlayer/mplayer2

HW I use:
nVidia and Intel on all PCs - never ATI.

Other:
# eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
[1] nvidia *
[2] xorg-x11

Cheers

p.s.:
keep your eyes open - if you happen to have other weird problems on the same HW with other SW then it might be due to the CFLAGS or even with the PC itself.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this ever get solved?

I just spent a few hours banging my head against a wall trying to solve a different bug, and it turns out it was already fixed half a year ago upstream — the available ebuilds are months out of date. There are current ones there, but they're all masked. If you're still having problems, p.unmask it and try again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: