View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Localhost-29A
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: lxde works fine. Log in window doesn't Reply with quote

Hi , I barely installed gentoo after more than 3 days of trys and errors, and I'm still working on it.

The problem i'm having right now is that when I start my computer it loads all propperly but when I reach the log in screen it shows some bugged screen with very bad graphics and just an input box under the label "welcome $hostname" ($hostname is my actually host name). Then i can type my user name and press [enter] and it would ask me my password, and if I type a wrong password it deny my login's request. So far so good, but then if I type my password correctly it tries to load the DE but fails and returns to the log in window.

The thing is that I can go to tty1 with ctrl + alt + f1 (simple alt + f1 doesn't work at that point) and log in as root and then type the command startx and my lxde environment loads propperly (i'm writing this from there), but if i try just the same, but logging with my user name instead of root it just crashes when I type startx.

Does anyone have any clue about how can I fix it? I don't know which tecnical data to provide in this case, so if you need some, just ask please. I'd be very gratefull of your help.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: lxde works fine. Log in window doesn't Reply with quote

Which DM, DE and WM are you using?
E.g. I use fluxbox as WM and xdm as DM.
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: lxde works fine. Log in window doesn't Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
Which DM, DE and WM are you using?
E.g. I use fluxbox as WM and xdm as DM.

He said he uses lxde. I guess lxdm is also used then!?

/var/log/lxdm.log as well as an /var/log/Xorg.0.log from a working and non-working session would be interesting.
Is an xorg.conf in play? Then this would be helpful as well.

Cheers.
Localhost-29A
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using lxde with lxdm and the WM that comes by default (openbox might be?)
I think the problem was that i configured bad /etc/portage/make.conf (VIDEO_CARDS and INPUTS_DEVICE) , /etc/conf.d/xdm, and I don't know if something earls too, but I reinstalled gentoo again and it works fine... but i have to install and configure drivers (which was where my crash came from), i will be more carefull I guess...
Thanks for helping.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Localhost-29A wrote:
..., but I reinstalled gentoo again and it works fine...
As long as the system works on a tty there is no need for a complete reinstall. Although I did that too at the beginning.
Better start over with xorg-x11 using startx, then install and configure DE still using startx and the last step add xdm or other login manager to runlevel default. On each step, if something goes wrong, you could consult here in the forum.
Localhost-29A
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that my DE starts to get bugged when I emerge xorg-x11 and it only works fine with xorg-server. So, last time I emerged xorg-x11 and it got bugged, so I unmerged but then all crashed and I tried to re-emerge everything (xorg-server, xdm, lxde-meta and lxdm) but i couldn't make it work again, and at the point I reinstalled my keyboard and mouse didn't even response, and I don't know how to use gentoo.rescue ( /bin/bb ) xD.

My greatest problem is with the drivers, I install them but... they doesn't work, and when I try to fix it, I don't get any closer but crash everything instead. I'm trying to solve it on my own because I see very bad to ask every single issue I have,and I think I would learn more by doing that, but I've tried everything and got nothing good, so today/tomorrow I'm going to try with genkernel in order to see if my issue comes from a bad kernel configuration and start from something that works, comparing with what I was doing. If that doesn't work I will be here again bothering with my issues xD.

PD: for unmerging Xorg and the DE I updated @world, did emerge --depclean and revdep-rebuild after unmerging lxdm, lxde, xdm and xorg-server, once I unmerged xorg-x11 and saw the crash, and then i installing emerging everything again and didn't work.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar behaviour in my KDE recently. Suddenly I lost ability to log into user's desktop. Without any updates and changes.
I didn't reinstall all the system, solved it by deleting user with all it's profile and recreated it again.

Quote:
and at the point I reinstalled my keyboard and mouse didn't even response

Had such an trouble. Solved by 'make localmodconfig'
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: