View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philip
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Is there a better GUI alternative than networkmanagement Reply with quote

I use a Lenovo Carbon X1 laptop with wifi

I have tried KDE4's kde-misc/networkmanagement for a while. And I am quite disappointed.
Plugging and pulling the ethernet cable almost never render a smooth transition between wlan and ethernet for my internet traffic. E.g sometimes when I plug the ethernet cable, the routing is not clean through the ethernet i/f, but packets leave via the wlan i/f.

Is there a better GUI alternative for networkmanagement (or a completely differerent suite than kde-misc/networkmanagement and net-misc/networkmanager)?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used wicd in the past (ncurses frontend boundt to a key combo).

It worked without problems.

Now I am using gnome-connman, for no particular reason. A few quirks here and there (mostly suspend-related), but nothing serious.

Note that I don't use gnome (nor kde). I use that package because it provides a GUI without much dependencies. It should work ok with any desktop. You need to enable the connman service for the GUI to work.

Code:
rc-update add connman default
/etc/init.d/connman start

However, in my experience, I'll tell you that the big problems are usually not in the frontend, but in the network drivers; particularly in the closed binary firmware/blob that some cards need to work. No frontend can act in a decent way when it has to rely on a driver that does unexpected things in broken ways.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: