multitrack video recording
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: multitrack video recording Reply with quote

I know I am probably barking up the wrong tree here but I am not sure where to ask.

I am looking to use a linux machine to record multiple video streams, and an audio stream at the same time. the idea is to make an instructional video. One track will be my voice, another video track will be a camera looking over everything, and another will be a USB camera located inside a microscope that I am working with. Here is that camera. http://www.amscope.com/accessories/camera/10mp-usb3-0-real-time-live-video-microscope-digital-camera-10-mp.html

I have no idea how to try and implement this, but any idea to get me started researching or thinking in the right direction would be awesome.

My intended applciation is instructional videos. I will be recording three tracks at a time that I would like to be in sync. One is from a Crown CM-311a headset microphone. The second is from a USB microscope camera, so that you can see exactly what I am doing very close up. The third will be a camera that looks at everything – me, the tools, the device I am working on. I'd like some way to record these in sync so that I don't have to manually line them up after hitting record in 2 or 3 different pieces of software.

I'd like to be able to switch between the two video tracks, and occasionally have a split screen view so you can see both cameras. I would also like to use a video editor that makes some use of an NVIDIA GPU to offload some of the processing. I do not plan on any special effects, or video filters whatsoever. The work will be purely editing, and some work where I do split screen of the microscope camera & the overall camera.

a) Is it possible to record two video tracks and an audio track all at once?

b) Can any software do this?

Thank you very much!!
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins, thender!

I believe it should be rather easy to do with for example a script that starts two (or more) ffmpeg processes with different sources. I do something towards that by starting one for audio, and one for video recording (using one process for both sometimes leads in to ALSA bugger xruns).

I can't say I've tried two (or more) different video sources (yet), but in my mind at least it seems trivial. No idea how difficult it would be to have them in sync (no issue with audio and video the way I've done it).

As for editing, I don't have much experience on such software since command-line ffmpeg is usually enough for me. We have at least a few more or less recent topics floating around here, but I can only remember one title right now:

I know it's not much, but I hope this helps!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: