Gentoo on the HP TouchPad
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crimjob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Gentoo on the HP TouchPad Reply with quote

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone's had a chance to play around with Gentoo on the HP TouchPad?

I've managed to resize the internal flash to give me a 12GB EXT4 partition, extracted stage3, chrooted, updated portage, but I'm curious to know what others might be doing?

Hoping to get a lightweight GUI going soon, but not quite sure where to go next. Some other distro's have specific packages for them, but I don't see any for Gentoo :(
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, haven't had a chance sadly, but it sure sounds interesting. Is there a free graphics driver you can use to run X?
Crimjob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now it only seems that we can chroot into Gentoo on the device and run what you wish there. I haven't seen anything specific as far as drivers or anything goes, I imagine once you're able to build a working chroot you can boot into it and have a pure Gentoo tablet, which is my goal, but it still seems a bit far off :)

I would imagine they're out there, as the source has all been opened up. Just might take some time and some curious Gentoo folks with knowledge unlike me :P
Crimjob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should post some details for the curious as well :)

Basics to set up a Gentoo chroot on the touchpad:
Quote:

Kill cryptofs:
Code:
pkill -SIGUSR1 cryptofs

Unmount /media/internal:
Code:
umount /media/internal

Verify you have a clean filesystem before you resize it:
Code:
/usr/sbin/fsck.vfat /dev/mapper/store-media

Resize the FAT USB Partition to 15GB (from it's original ~27GB)
Code:
resizefat /dev/mapper/store-media 15G
lvresize -L 15G /dev/mapper/store-media

Another cryptofs kill to be safe
Code:
pkill -SIGUSR2 cryptofs

Remount /media/internal
Code:
mount /media/internal

Create a new EXT4 (EXT2 and 3 work as well) partition and name it ext4fs
Code:
lvcreate -l 100%FREE -n ext4fs store
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/store-ext4fs

Mount root as RW (mounts as RO by default)
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /

Add our new Gentoo partition to fstab
Code:
echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext4fs /media/gentoo auto noatime 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

And back out
Code:
mount -o remount,ro /
mount -a

wget the latest ARM7a stage3 from your favorite mirror @ releases/arm/autobuilds/current-stage3-armv7a_hardfp/ and extract it to the new partition
Code:
cd /media/gentoo/
wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/arm/autobuilds/current-stage3-armv7a_hardfp/stage3-armv7a_hardfp-20111108.tar.bz2
tar xvjpf stage3-armv7a_hardfp-20111108.tar.bz2

And alas the chroot
Code:
chroot /media/gentoo/
env-update
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
source /etc/profile
ChrisHPTouchPad / # cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
processor       : 0
BogoMIPS        : 13.52

processor       : 1
BogoMIPS        : 13.52

Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x51
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0x02d
CPU revision    : 2

Hardware        : TENDERLOIN
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000

jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a HP Touchpad running a native Funtoo Linux. I'm using the "moboot" bootloader (that was first installed when I tried Cyanogenmod 7 Android ROM). Adding a uImage.Funtoo on /boot, containing a bootable kernel and an initramfs that mounts the root filesystem and then switch to it does the thrick. It took a lot of time to figure out how to do how this.

I use the Cyanogenmod HP Touchpad kernel that should contain everything that is needed for touchscreen/video/sound/wifi/etc.

I get an X but no touchscreen support for now (never tried this before!), and the colors/resolution are not working well.

Let me know if you want more info! I don't know if I can remember everything but I can definitely give you some pointers is you want!
Crimjob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means, post on! I followed pieces of that and a few other guides I found but I wasn't interested in losing portage
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so first of all you need a booting kernel.

I got CM7 kernel booting my touchpad with this howto :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1332629

See the post that says that it wasn't working but it worked using a particular GIT revision. I had to use this revision.

You also need an initrd that supports LVM for booting you Gentoo. I suggest better-initramfs:

https://github.com/slashbeast/better-initramfs

Depending on your configuration, you may have to tweak the script, or put default boot arguments in your kernel. Let me know if you don't know how to do that.

You also need the "Moboot" bootloader. I got mine installed using the CyanogenMod 7's installer. There is surely another way to get it but they bundle it and it may be easier to install it this way. And you'll get a WebOS/Gentoo/Android triple-boot :)

Finally, like me you may be stuck with an unusable X because of the lack of touchscreen support and correct video driver. If I get past those problems, I'll let you know! I understood that I need to use the "MSM video driver" but it isn't packaged (yet) for Gentoo/Funtoo. I'm working on this and let you know when it works!
Crimjob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for keeping me in the loop!

I'll take a look and see what I can't add to my current install. I'm currently working on a WebOS launcher for Gentoo, but these ipk's are a little tricky.
snekiepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also intersted in more information, I have the Cyanogen mod working, but really want my gentoo on this pad!!!
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snekiepete wrote:
I am also intersted in more information, I have the Cyanogen mod working, but really want my gentoo on this pad!!!

So far, I got Funtoo to boot, but I can't get the touchscreen and the X acceleration working. So for now without touchscreen this is pretty useless. If someone is experience with this I would be glad to know how to get it working...
Shiggity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all I know this thread is almost 3 years old, but I decided I wanted to have a project so I decided to start trying this. Regarding the video drivers, wouldn't xf86-video-freedreno provide the proper video driver and/or touchscreen functionality? Maybe that in CONJUNCTION with the MSM Video Driver? Right now my TP is running

Code:
root@TPizzle:/media/funtoo# xz -dc stage3-latest.tar.xz stage3.tar

and then I'll untar it. It's taking ages since I don't have a proper install of Überkernel installed on the webOS side of things... I might just scrap it and restore the TP to defaults and start over, but I'll wait a little longer.

I'd really like to see funtoo running on this baby. It might only be dual core, but it's not a bad device.

Thanks,
Shiggity

EDIT: I decided to nuke and redo my TP after all... that xz > tar conversion was taking EONS. I think I'll just get the tar.xz and convert it to .tar on my i7 and then copy the resulting tar onto the TP.

EDIT 2: Does the CM kernel allow for overclocking? 1.2 GHz stock is super slow especially since Gentoo/Funtoo needs to compile everything from source... Also, would a CM 11 kernel work? jeanfrancis I know you've sold off your TouchPad, but would you be able to help me get as far as you did at least?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: