View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Napoleon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Whent back to login manager from Lock screen Reply with quote

Hello everybody o/

I used lightDM as a login manager and xscreensver to lock my screen. A user Alpha witch find a screen locked by a user Beta can whent back to the login manager by clicking on “New login” in the xscreensaver interface. Because, according to Arch documentation I put the following line on the ~/.xscreensaver:

Code:

newLoginCommand: dm-tool switch-to-greeter

But sometimes, when I click on “New login” lightDM didn’t apear and xscreensaver freeze. So Alpha could whent back to the login manager only by CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE, it’s weird also because it kill the X.org server of Beta :/

I haven’t this problem with GDM or KDM but, twice are very very heavy. I have to instsall a lot of dependencies.

I am ready to use some other login manager but I need to be able to went back to it from the locked screen. But the Arch documentation didn’t tell how to do that for other login managers. This page talk about a lot of DM but didn’t tell me the command xscreensaver have to execute to show the login screen.

Thank you.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems you want two users beeing able to use a seperate x-session.

In the past it was possible to start severeral x-servers on virtual screen.

there was someting in the past to add a second entry to
Code:
cat /etc/inittab
but to behonest it needs some research on the net myself.

Also the x-server and things may have changed a bit.

It may help when you define your problem.

do you want to have two persons using really two seperate x-sessions or is it enough when they log on as the same user with different virtual screens? both is possible but it nees some tweaking and there are plenty of howtos on the net (afaik in the past for that topic)

It may help when you could tell us the requirements first. thanks
Napoleon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:

do you want to have two persons using really two seperate x-sessions or is it enough when they log on as the same user with different virtual screens? both is possible but it nees some tweaking and there are plenty of howtos on the net (afaik in the past for that topic)

It may help when you could tell us the requirements first. thanks
I whant to persons to be connected on two separate x-sessions, not same user on two screens.

But this isn't as complicated as you describe it tw04l124, I also can do that with gdm and kdm. It didn' need much more tweeks as you can see on the arch documentation.

The problem is kdm and gdm need a lot of gtk and qt dependences. lightdm, failed someting and lxdm need the `lxdm` command, but this command is only for sudoers on gentoo :/

The arch documentation didn't detailed the command for slim and xdm.

It's a very simple question tw04l124. Witch command can I use to get the login screen with lxdm and slim. It no need a lot of configuration I think.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a search machine and clicking on the first result gives => http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/85383/how-to-start-a-second-x-session

Quote:

I think you can do it with this:

$ startx -- :1

Note that you need to be on a text console. If you do this from an X session, you may not be authorized. First Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a text console and log in there.

Press Ctrl+Alt+F7 and Ctrl+Alt+F8 to switch between the X sessions (the F key numbers may vary depending on your distribution).

If you want more control you can add more options to the command like so:

$ startx gnome-session -- :1 vt8

This will start up gnome-session on display :1 and run it on virtual console 8 (Ctrl+Alt+F8).

Code:
startx -- :1
=> Works for me to get a plain x-server when i log in with my another user who is not configured.

Up to you at the end...

As gnome has died for personal reasons after 2.32.x I can not test it anymore
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: