Pulseaudio & absolute values
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Pulseaudio & absolute values Reply with quote

Someone I know is having trouble with Pulseaudio and a USB DAC which uses absolute values for min/max, inc/dec, etc instead of using db values. Pulseaudio seems to use the absolute values as if they were db values instead of percentages. Can anything be done about this?
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, the ALSA driver will use what the hardware provide. Did you try with an ALSA mixer?

If that doesn't work, a solution can be to make a wrapper script using mc for the calculations dB/value.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying continue using pulseaudio but use an ALSA mixer to change the volume? I would just try it but I don't use pulseaudio myself, I'm trying to help someone else so I want to be sure I have that right.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123 wrote:
So you're saying continue using pulseaudio but use an ALSA mixer to change the volume? I would just try it but I don't use pulseaudio myself, I'm trying to help someone else so I want to be sure I have that right.

I said to try with an ALSA mixer. PA use ALSA, so if it work with an alsa mixer (both amixer and alsamixer support dB if the sound card and the driver support them, which is at least most of them), this is a bug in pulseaudio.

If it doesn't work in dB with amixer, it can be a bug in the ALSA driver or the hardware that doesn't support dB. In that last case, the only solution to have dB support is to make some script using mc for the calculation and amixer to control the card, or look if pulseaudio can emulate it (I don't know, I am running JACK and pulseaudio is not even installed in my system, but I made some ALSA mixer scripts it was some time ago for fvwm-crystal). In the other cases, you should report it as a bug to pulse or alsa, and use a script in the main time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: