Problems installing old nvidia-drivers ebuild
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
majoron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Problems installing old nvidia-drivers ebuild Reply with quote

Hello,
The story goes as follows: I need to run some software on a Nvidia Tesla s1070. I tried (almost) all nvidia-drivers ebuilds in the official portage tree and it doesn't work (one very old version of the package cannot be installed).
I go to Nvidia site and see that the recommended drivers version is 270.41.34, whcih as far as I know was never in portage, but also version 256.53 should support the card we have, and it was once upon a time in the portage tree. So I try to install the package. For that I did:
  • Add
    Code:
    PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
    to
    Code:
    /etc/portage/make.conf

• Create the
    Code:
    /usr/local/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
    directory
  • Download the old ebuild from attic
  • And run the following command:
    Code:
    ebuild /usr/local/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers/nvidia-drivers-256.53.ebuild manifest

However this last command produces an error:
Code:
# ebuild /usr/local/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers/nvidia-drivers-256.53.ebuild manifest
 * ERROR: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-256.53::x-portage failed (depend phase):
 *   Unsupported EAPI=2 (too old) for readme.gentoo
 * Call stack:
 *                      ebuild.sh, line 545:  Called source '/usr/local/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers/nvidia-drivers-256.53.ebuild'
 *   nvidia-drivers-256.53.ebuild, line   7:  Called inherit 'eutils' 'multilib' 'versionator' 'linux-mod' 'flag-o-matic' 'nvidia-driver'
 *                      ebuild.sh, line 277:  Called __qa_source '/usr/portage/eclass/nvidia-driver.eclass'
 *                      ebuild.sh, line  80:  Called source '/usr/portage/eclass/nvidia-driver.eclass'
 *           nvidia-driver.eclass, line  15:  Called inherit 'readme.gentoo' 'versionator'
 *                      ebuild.sh, line 277:  Called __qa_source '/usr/portage/eclass/readme.gentoo.eclass'
 *                      ebuild.sh, line  80:  Called source '/usr/portage/eclass/readme.gentoo.eclass'
 *           readme.gentoo.eclass, line  25:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *              die "Unsupported EAPI=${EAPI:-0} (too old) for ${ECLASS}"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-256.53::x-portage'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-256.53::x-portage'`.
 * Working directory: '/usr/lib64/portage/pym'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-256.53/work/nvidia-drivers-256.53'

I guess the ebuild is not compatible with the version of portage, or something like that.

I Imagine that even if I can create the ebuild, it will require an old version of the kernel and/or the X server, which looks to me like a tower of difficult problems due to my lack of experience with old ebuilds and, actually, also with low level details of portage.
So, the questions are: Is there an easy way to circumvent this problem? Do you, portage gurus, foresee a good end to this story?

Thanks in advance.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with an ebuild closer to the one you want, and then bump the EAPI, as well as the version (latter by simply changing the filename). Though you should compare with later ebuilds that do use a supported EAPI (4 and above iirc) and ask in #gentoo-dev-help on IRC: chat.freenode.org for help and review.
majoron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
I would start with an ebuild closer to the one you want, and then bump the EAPI, as well as the version (latter by simply changing the filename). Though you should compare with later ebuilds that do use a supported EAPI (4 and above iirc) and ask in #gentoo-dev-help on IRC: chat.freenode.org for help and review.

Oh, one answer! Thanks a lot!
I'll try it. Thanks for giving the link to the irc channel.

Best.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: