Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Your Gentoo: what init system do you use?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What init system do you use?
All OpenRC (Default init system)
72%
 72%  [ 86 ]
Mostly OpenRC
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
About half OpenRC and half Systemd
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Mostly Systemd
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
All Systemd
16%
 16%  [ 20 ]
Basic SysVinit or something else in portage
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Launchd, Upstart, or something else because I really like pain
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I wrote my own init system, you insensitive clod!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 118

tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap wrote:
PS I am very suspicious of Red Had because I got very badly bitten by their gcc-2.96 about 10 years ago, which caused me great deal of wasted effort in my own work.
(cf https://lkml.org/lkml/2000/12/14/154) I can only hope that systemd will be more reliable than that.

I think in the server market, where Redhat's real money is, this whole thing is going to bite them in the ass big time. Above anything in the whole systemd debate, I defy anyone to justify using system on a server. It means having very complex, unnecessary code running as root all the time and gains you nothing in a server environment. If I were in an IT department I wouldn't go within 1000 miles of RHEL 7.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My server uses OpenRC, and my other computers alternate between the two.
natrix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other diferent opinion:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-983774.html
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As interesting as the poll results are now (overwhelming use of openRC only) I wonder how this picture would change if the results where broken down into server vs desktop. Right now I assume that the results are a mix of the two. To (loosely) quote Feynman this leads to the problem of averaging.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
As interesting as the poll results are now (overwhelming use of openRC only) I wonder how this picture would change if the results where broken down into server vs desktop. Right now I assume that the results are a mix of the two. To (loosely) quote Feynman this leads to the problem of averaging.

The sample here is tiny and excludes the large number of Gentoo-based servers in commercial organisations. Most servers are not even represented in the votes in this poll of a handful of active forum users. If you were to include all the servers in data centres that run Gentoo, I'll bet the percentage of Gentoo installations using OpenRC would be more like 99.99%.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While yes, the sample size is small, that's what we have to deal with. But no, having the non-FGO users wouldn't necessarily affect the polls by that much. Because even if that one person was running 1000 OpenRC-only machines, they'd add just one vote. This poll was meant to be by-person not by-machine.

I am a bit surprised and can't explain why the Spanish forum split differs than this one. Now that is interesting. Unfortunately I don't know Spanish but I can make out a bit of theology war there too... It crosses language boundaries...
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Openrc (why I can't fill the poll ? ).
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polls are timed.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
warrens wrote:
You realize that you still can use app-admin/metalog or app-admin/syslog-ng for text logs with systemd, do you not?

Of course: Activating the metalog unit was my first command when I had installed systemd.
However, metalog is activated only very late in the boot process by systemd, so it didn't help me in the mentioned problem.
As I said: Binary logging is fine, until the very moment when you really need the log...
Of course, the problem was not only the logging, but the lack of a possibility to insert some debug sequences like "I got until here...": This "great" idea to do everything in som binary code monster instead of shell scripts which you can modify in case of problems... All the problems due to the broken systemd concept which were foreseeable and predicted by everybody with some experience already showed their ugly face on my system - and I bet not only on my system...

Yep! It's called Windows as that is exactly what SystemD reminds me of and Gate's is smiling all the way to the bank since MS has embraced and extended Linux. Now it's just a matter of time before they extinguish it. What will be left for those of us that believe
Quote:
I bought the hardware and it's mine to do what I want with unless it's to run any operating system other then that blessed by Gates/Jobs
I am not and never have been a fan of binary only modes. That's the entire reason I moved to Gentoo from RH/FC/Debian - a significant lack of control and choice.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: