View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: [Solved] Removing titlebar in fluxbox? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I was checking through the fluxbox documentation, and I've not yet found a way to just remove the title bar for a specific app. Removing the decor is possible, but then I lose the ability to resize the window which is not so great.

Anybody know if this is possible?

Last edited by ksool on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
misho
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this page out:

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Howto_edit_the_apps_file

The more important stuff is this:

* [Deco] {NONE|NORMAL|TOOL|TINY|BORDER|TAB}: Specify the decoration state. There are several predefined dec- oration sets:

* NORMAL - standard decorations
* NONE - no decorations
* BORDER - like NONE except keep the X window border
* TINY - titlebar with an iconify button
* TOOL - titlebar only
* TAB - like NONE except show external tabs only (in SVN version only)

If none of these do what you want (it seems that BORDER might), then it hasn't been implemented.

When you go to play with this, make note of the stuff at the top of the page about how Fluxbox will do its very best to overwrite the apps file after you edit it, destroying all your hard work.

EDIT: I lied. I was playing around with "bitmasks" whatever that means (it's on the page I linked above) and it seems that "[Deco] {6}" will do pretty much what you need ("[Deco] {BORDER}" won't let you resize). Also, if you figure out some way of knowing what the different numbers do, short of trial and error, please share.

EDIT2: Never mind... the site tells you:
titlebar, handle/grips, border, iconify button, maximize button, close button, menu enabled, sticky button, shade button, tabbing enabled, focus enabled

This is from least significant bit to most significant bit (which seems a little a backwards). So, if you want no titlebar (the LSB is 0), grips (2nd LSB is 1), border (3rd LSB is 1). So you end up with 110(bin) = 6(dec). Note that this also disables a bunch of other stuff like tabbing and the menu (because it's really 00000000110(bin)), which you can't get without the titlebar anyway (but a keyboard shortcut to pop open the menu would still do it).
ksool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks. Worked like a charm.
zz_fluke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misho wrote:
Check this page out:

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Howto_edit_the_apps_file

For those who search, doc stuff moved here http://fluxbox.org/help/man-fluxbox-apps.php
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: