Need some help with blocked packages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Need some help with blocked packages Reply with quote

It's been a while since this machine was updated. I've posted what I believe is the important part of the emerge error message:

Code:
Total: 369 packages (345 upgrades, 8 new, 4 in new slots, 12 reinstalls, 2 uninstalls), Size of downloads: 1,664,429 kB
Conflict: 5 blocks (1 unsatisfied)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

dev-lang/perl:0

(dev-lang/perl-5.18.2-r1:0/5.18::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    =dev-lang/perl-5.18* required by (virtual/perl-IO-1.280.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^              ^^^^^                                                                                                                                     
    (and 1 more with the same problem)

(dev-lang/perl-5.16.3:0/5.16::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    dev-lang/perl:0/5.16=[-build(-)] required by (dev-perl/libwww-perl-6.50.0:0/0::gentoo, installed)
                 ^^^^^^^^
    =dev-lang/perl-5.16* required by (virtual/perl-IO-Zlib-1.100.0-r4:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^              ^^^^^                                                                                                                                     
    (and 25 more with the same problems)

It may be possible to solve this problem by using package.mask to
prevent one of those packages from being selected. However, it is also
possible that conflicting dependencies exist such that they are
impossible to satisfy simultaneously.  If such a conflict exists in
the dependencies of two different packages, then those packages can
not be installed simultaneously. You may want to try a larger value of
the --backtrack option, such as --backtrack=30, in order to see if
that will solve this conflict automatically.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-power/upower-0.99.0-r1:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.12.1-r1:2/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.99[introspection] required by (gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.12.2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    >sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (x11-wm/mutter-3.12.2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    >=sys-power/upower-0.99 required by (gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.12.2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(sys-power/upower-pm-utils-0.9.23-r2:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by (net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8.10-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    sys-power/upower-pm-utils required by @selected

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

The following packages are causing rebuilds:

(media-video/ffmpeg-2.2.4:0/52.55.55::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (media-video/mplayer-1.2_pre20130729:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
  (media-libs/x264-0.0.20140308:0/142::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (media-video/mplayer-1.2_pre20130729:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
  (x11-misc/colord-1.2.1:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (x11-libs/colord-gtk-0.1.25:0/1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
  (virtual/libudev-208:0/1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (x11-misc/colord-1.2.1:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What command did you run to produce that output? It looks like the block is because Portage wants to upgrade to Perl 5.18, but some installed packages forbid it. If you did not do a sufficiently deep update, Portage may be trying to hold those packages at their current incompatible versions.

Does the failure change if you use emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --verbose @world?
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use emerge -uDNva world, will post the output of the command you specified.

*edit*

Looks like the same output.
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full output of command: http://www.bpaste.net/show/523490/
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bpaste output does not repeat the messages about slot conflicts. Have you fixed something since your initial post? The remaining problem is a simple conflict between upower and upower-pm-utils. You need to decide which one you want and exclude the other. The output shows that upower is currently not installed. If this is what you want, then you need to prevent it from being selected. You can use --tree to cause emerge to indent the output to show why upower is included. You could also add a local package.mask entry for upower to force Portage not to select it, which will likely cause some other error message until you remove the package that is pulling upower.
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
The bpaste output does not repeat the messages about slot conflicts. Have you fixed something since your initial post? The remaining problem is a simple conflict between upower and upower-pm-utils. You need to decide which one you want and exclude the other. The output shows that upower is currently not installed. If this is what you want, then you need to prevent it from being selected. You can use --tree to cause emerge to indent the output to show why upower is included. You could also add a local package.mask entry for upower to force Portage not to select it, which will likely cause some other error message until you remove the package that is pulling upower.

I just read one of the gentoo portage news releases that addresses this exact blocker. It has to do with systemd, I would need to mask the new package if I intended to not use systemd. Since it seems Gentoo is pushing that direction, I'm attempting to switch now. Will report back how it goes.
kurly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:
I just read one of the gentoo portage news releases that addresses this exact blocker. It has to do with systemd, I would need to mask the new package if I intended to not use systemd. Since it seems Gentoo is pushing that direction, I'm attempting to switch now. Will report back how it goes.
I'd argue you misread the news release; Gentoo is not "pushing" that direction, merely making it available. Certain upstream software is pushing that direction, but reasonable alternatives are readily available.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: