Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
admincd breaks emerges that install setuid files?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: admincd breaks emerges that install setuid files? Reply with quote

I was doing an install in a vm from a stage3 autobuild and used the admincd iso (201305620) for the first time to see what might be different with the usual minimal installer.

During emerges from inside the chroot, emerge blew out installing libutempter (1.1.6-r1) with a permission problem when trying to chmod a file setuid. I tried to continue on but it blew out installing other packages that needed setuid. I googled around when shadow failed and saw something about a grsecurity patch in the kernel that might be the culprit.

Switching back to booting minimal installer and then chrooting, and now everything is fine again.

So is this a bug or some intentional "feature" of this admincd that I've discovered? FWIW the new root was btrfs. What was supposed to be different about the admincd in the first place anyway?
Bardioc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: admincd breaks emerges that install setuid files? Reply with quote

vaxbrat wrote:
I was doing an install in a vm from a stage3 autobuild and used the admincd iso (201305620) for the first time to see what might be different with the usual minimal installer.

During emerges from inside the chroot, emerge blew out installing libutempter (1.1.6-r1) with a permission problem when trying to chmod a file setuid. I tried to continue on but it blew out installing other packages that needed setuid. I googled around when shadow failed and saw something about a grsecurity patch in the kernel that might be the culprit.

Switching back to booting minimal installer and then chrooting, and now everything is fine again.

So is this a bug or some intentional "feature" of this admincd that I've discovered? FWIW the new root was btrfs. What was supposed to be different about the admincd in the first place anyway?

I had the same issue. Apparently, the people that designed the admin-cd made it use a hardened kernel with GrSecurity enabled. That influences what you can do in a chroot-environment. I wonder what made this design decision, cause the admin-cd is not really useful when you want to fix boot issues in a gentoo environment. Disabling various settings via sysctl helped but I ended up using the simple install-cd iso instead.

Regards,

Heiko
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: