Zen kernel and Liquorix kernel install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janga8
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Zen kernel and Liquorix kernel install? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I read that the Zen kernel or the Liquorix kernel can increase performance, which is valuable as I play games on a laptop.

I have two questions being:

1) Why is zen-sources hardmasked, what is unstable about it in gentoo and why does it not even say the package is available for any architecture (as said here: http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-kernel/zen-sources) but is listed in emerge -s?

2) How can I replace my current kernel with the Zen kernel? Every time I try and change my config and install the new one my system does not boot.
The commands I run to do this are
Code:

make menuconfig

make && make modules_install

make install

Thanks in advance,
Janga
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Not sure, why zen is hardmasked ( project was abandoned probably) , but all u need from zen u can find in pf-sources or geek-sources (init6 overlay, but i recommend pf anyway).
Performance might come from BFS cpu scheduler, or its rather more smooth desktop I think.

2) U dont have initrd, but u might not need, just enable all u need to boot as NOT module - probably disk controllers and extX support, come back later with some errors.

U might need also to do make firmware_install, and using make xconfig instead menuconfig is simpler
janga8
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the response.

I will install pf-sources (these are masked too, do you know why?)

My kernel boots fine, it is only when I try to update/reconfigure my kernel that it screws over.

my config can be found here, http://bpaste.net/show/497614/ I am not very good at knowing what to enable/disable as this is my first manual kernel config so if there is anything I need to enable/disable can you say so? Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: