Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] What "-march" to use first time installing Gentoo!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P1neapple
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] What "-march" to use first time installin Reply with quote

Hello! I'm studying the Gentoo Handbook in my spare time :D
I'm following the amd64 handbook but I am concerned about the
Code:
-march
option because k8 is apparently for AMD processors according to this source:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.1/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html#i386-and-x86_002d64-Options
However I have an Intel Processor:
Code:
model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz

So is k8 safe to use as according to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=5 ?

Thanks in advance! :wink:

Last edited by P1neapple on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply use "-march=native -mtune=native", which will give the best for your CPU.
P1neapple
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I heard of that option before.

However I am curious if k8 will work on an Intel i3.

PS I also heard that not including march at all will make it default to native. Is this true?
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also heard that not including march at all will make it default to native. Is this true?
it's very likely.
Quote:
However I am curious if k8 will work on an Intel i3.
as long as i3 is at least the same arch as k8. I think that would mean it must be x86_64.
Most of stuff should just work, media players are likely to make heavy use of CPU or even crash though, as different CPUs not always share the same extensions.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P1neapple,

-march=k8 will tell gcc to use instructions taht only appear on AMD processors.
That will break multimedia apps mostly

man gcc:
       -march=cpu-type
           Generate instructions for the machine type cpu-type.  In contrast to -mtune=cpu-type, which merely tunes the generated code for
           the specified cpu-type, -march=cpu-type allows GCC to generate code that may not run at all on processors other than the one
           indicated.  Specifying -march=cpu-type implies -mtune=cpu-type.

The choices for cpu-type are:

native
               This selects the CPU to generate code for at compilation time by determining the processor type of the compiling machine.
               Using -march=native enables all instruction subsets supported by the local machine (hence the result might not run on
               different machines).  Using -mtune=native produces code optimized for the local machine under the constraints of the
               selected instruction set.

core2
               Intel Core 2 CPU with 64-bit extensions, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and SSSE3 instruction set support.

k8
           opteron
           athlon64
           athlon-fx
               Processors based on the AMD K8 core with x86-64 instruction set support, including the AMD Opteron, Athlon 64, and Athlon
               64 FX processors.  (This supersets MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNow!, enhanced 3DNow! and 64-bit instruction set extensions.)

You will not have 3DNow! nor enhanced 3DNow!

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
P1neapple
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I re-read the page in the handbook and followed your advice and it seems like march=native is the best way to go :wink:

Thanks
john_deaux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is after the fact since you used "native", but I remember running something that told me what to put in the "-march=" for my Lenovo ThinkPad T440s.

I first consulted the the page here: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T440s which recommended "-march=core-avx-i -mavx" as a safe CFLAGS entry. But the thing that I ran showed that I should use "-march=corei7-avx -mavx2".

Again, I can't remember what I ran to determine that as I wasn't taking detailed notes then.

J_D
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XavierMiller wrote:
Simply use "-march=native -mtune=native", which will give the best for your CPU.

What does mtune do?
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not very well explained, but as far as I could make out, mtune optimizes the generated code style for a particular CPU, but without using the special instructions for that CPU. (e.g. -mtune pentiumpro would optimise the code for things like superscalar and out-of-order execution on the pentium pro but without actually using pentium-pro specific instructions, so it'd still run on e.g. a 386)

IIRC you don't need to specify -mtune if you are using -march as e.g. -march <moocow> will also default -mtune to <moocow> as well (I suppose you could set -march and -mtune to different CPUs if you had a new CPU that had the instruction set of, e.g. a Kaveri but had a codepath like a 386 XD)
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
IIRC you don't need to specify -mtune if you are using -march as e.g. -march <moocow> will also default -mtune to <moocow> as well (I suppose you could set -march and -mtune to different CPUs if you had a new CPU that had the instruction set of, e.g. a Kaveri but had a codepath like a 386 XD)

Cyker ... actually it will default to '-mtune=generic', but as all cows are sacred one moo is as good as another ;)

Code:
# gcc '-###' -e -v -march=native /usr/include/stdlib.h 2>&1 | grep mtune
 /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/cc1 -quiet /usr/include/stdlib.h "-march=pentium-m" -mno-cx16 -mno-sahf -mno-movbe -mno-aes -mno-pclmul -mno-popcnt -mno-abm -mno-lwp -mno-fma -mno-fma4 -mno-xop -mno-bmi -mno-bmi2 -mno-tbm -mno-avx -mno-avx2 -mno-sse4.2 -mno-sse4.1 -mno-lzcnt -mno-rdrnd -mno-f16c -mno-fsgsbase --param "l1-cache-size=32" --param "l1-cache-line-size=64" --param "l2-cache-size=2048" "-mtune=generic" -quiet -dumpbase stdlib.h -auxbase stdlib -o /home/khayyam/tmp/ccDfVfVF.s "--output-pch=/usr/include/stdlib.h.gch"

best ... khay
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some common CPUs, "generic" is the optimised setting. I get a different one here:

Code:
 /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.8.3/cc1 -quiet /usr/include/stdlib.h "-march=atom" -mno-cx16 -msahf -mmovbe -mno-aes -mno-pclmul -mno-popcnt -mno-abm -mno-lwp -mno-fma -mno-fma4 -mno-xop -mno-bmi -mno-bmi2 -mno-tbm -mno-avx -mno-avx2 -mno-sse4.2 -mno-sse4.1 -mno-lzcnt -mno-rtm -mno-hle -mno-rdrnd -mno-f16c -mno-fsgsbase -mno-rdseed -mno-prfchw -mno-adx -mfxsr -mno-xsave -mno-xsaveopt --param "l1-cache-size=24" --param "l1-cache-line-size=64" --param "l2-cache-size=512" "-mtune=atom" -quiet -dumpbase stdlib.h -auxbase stdlib -o /tmp/ccaAuOKJ.s "--output-pch=/usr/include/stdlib.h.gch"
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can limit code to i686 but still optimize its usage for corei7 (in that case, it make poor sense, just to provide i686 code that run better when run on corei7 if possible)
Code:
gcc '-###' -e -v -march=i686 -mtune=corei7 /usr/include/stdlib.h 2>&1 | grep mtune
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-e' '-v' '-march=i686' '-mtune=corei7'
 /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.4/cc1 -quiet /usr/include/stdlib.h -quiet -dumpbase stdlib.h "-march=i686" "-mtune=corei7" -auxbase stdlib -o /tmp/ccYnE3PS.s "--output-pch=/usr/include/stdlib.h.gch"

Not all optimizations are cpu code base, some are done by branching size, caching, or a cpu family strength (or weakness) ; like a stupid example if a cpu is better at /2 than shifting, you can ask march=i686 mtune=stupidcpu and compiler should provide i686 code that always use /2 instead of shifting because mtune tell it the cpu is weak at doing it ; providing i686 code, that indeed will run faster on that cpu.

So -march will use the cpu family code, while mtune will optimize the selected -march code to run (better) on a specific cpu type.
Some cpu family have no specific strength/weakness or tweak (or it wasn't made for them), so you only have generic, but still you get optimize code for them because of the -march selected code.
It's then logic if -mtune is not specified that you provide code optimize for the cpu family the -march was set for as default, and to generic when none exist.

You can even provide something that might looks weird : -march=corei7 -mtune=pentiumpro if you know your cpu can run corei7 code but do poor result with corei7 optimizations and play nice with pentiumpro optimization style.
And in theory a pentiumpro will run fine with -march=pentiumpro -mtune=corei7 as you are asking valid code generation, just the optimization won't be that good (in theory, because i'm not sure all gcc devs have stick to that).

To sum up, i don't know why one would want do that, but it should work to use intel cpu with -march=x86-64 -mtune=k8, while -march=k8 is sure failure as no intel cpu handle 3dnow set.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
Cyker ... actually it will default to '-mtune=generic', but as all cows are sacred one moo is as good as another ;)

Are you sure? My gcc manpage says
Code:

-march=cpu-type
           Generate instructions for the machine type cpu-type.  The choices
           for cpu-type are the same as for -mtune.  Moreover, specifying
           -march=cpu-type implies -mtune=cpu-type.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
khayyam wrote:

Are you sure?

Cyker ... well, as Ant P. points out above this is not the same for all architectures, some will set this to the same as -march. I'd always assumed that 'generic' was the default ... I guess as I've never seen it set to anything other than that when -march was set.

Cyker wrote:
My gcc manpage says
Code:
  -march=cpu-type
      Generate instructions for the machine type cpu-type.  The choices
      for cpu-type are the same as for -mtune.  Moreover, specifying
      -march=cpu-type implies -mtune=cpu-type.

Yes, but as you see in the output from gcc above "implies" doesn't necessarily equate to "sets".

best ... khay
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
Cyker wrote:
khayyam wrote:

Are you sure?

Cyker ... well, as Ant P. points out above this is not the same for all architectures, some will set this to the same as -march. I'd always assumed that 'generic' was the default ... I guess as I've never seen it set to anything other than that when -march was set.

On older cpu's I think mtune defaulted to generic if not set, with newer chips, it seems to follow the march flag.

When I first started paying attention to those flags, I was using 4.7.2 now 4.7.3, not sure if there have been changes internal to gcc in that regard.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PS I also heard that not including march at all will make it default to native. Is this true?

I don't think so. (Although I am never sure of anything in this regard.)

Here is my reason: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/CFLAGS contains the following advice

Quote:
To see what -march=native or -mtune=native enables for your specific CPU, run gcc -march=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1

On my amd fx-8350 here are some sample outputs, using gcc-4.9.0:

(1)
Code:
gcc -march=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1
 /usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.9.0/cc1 -E -quiet -v - -march=bdver2 -mmmx -mno-3dnow -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -msse4a -mcx16 -msahf -mno-movbe -maes -mno-sha -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mabm -mlwp -mfma -mfma4 -mxop -mbmi -mno-bmi2 -mtbm -mavx -mno-avx2 -msse4.2 -msse4.1 -mlzcnt -mno-rtm -mno-hle -mno-rdrnd -mf16c -mno-fsgsbase -mno-rdseed -mprfchw -mno-adx -mfxsr -mxsave -mno-xsaveopt -mno-avx512f -mno-avx512er -mno-avx512cd -mno-avx512pf -mno-prefetchwt1 --param l1-cache-size=16 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=2048 -mtune=bdver2 -fstack-protector-strong

(2)
Code:
gcc -mtune=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1
 /usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.9.0/cc1 -E -quiet -v - --param l1-cache-size=16 --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l2-cache-size=2048 -mtune=bdver2 -march=x86-64 -fstack-protector-strong

and (no -march and no -mtune)

(3)

Code:
gcc  -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1
 /usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.9.0/cc1 -E -quiet -v - -mtune=generic -march=x86-64 -fstack-protector-strong

My own experience is also that omitting -march and using -march=native result in different compilation failures when used in conjunction with other (aggressive) cflags
such as lto.
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap wrote:
omitting -march and using -march=native

I guess you meant "omitting -march and using -mtune=native".

For me
Code:
gcc $HOLYCOW -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1

gives this results:
"-march=native -mtune=native" == "-march=native" != "-mtune=native" != ""
So, the omission of -march doesn't imply native, while -march implies -mtune.
nlsa8z6zoz7lyih3ap
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over many years I have really enjoyed fussing with CFLAGS and USE Flags concerning various hardware features of the chip that I am actually using.
However I have never really noticed any significant performance benefit from doing so. Are there any opinions as to whether setting

Code:
-march=native
in the CFLAGS or just entirely omitting -march make much practical difference at all?

Regardless of the answer, I will continue to experiment with CFLAGS as it is fun and I learn lots by doing so.

Current cpu: FX-8350

PS: Currently playing with -lto and graphitte options.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: