Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
EU monarchs more easily dethroned than congress
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: EU monarchs more easily dethroned than congress Reply with quote

Too much job security in congress

Quote:
On one measure, though, the House looks positively aristocratic. Since 2012, when its members were last up for election, 30% of Europe’s monarchies have put newcomers on the throne. By contrast, only around 17 out of 435 House seats—less than 4%—will be competitive in November’s mid-terms.

_________________
wswartzendruber wrote:
Well, every group has its nutjobs, and the Second Amendment crowd is no exception.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More willingness to dethrone. Interestingly, the Senate have longer terms to achieve more "stability" as compared with the "high turnover" within the House.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 4158
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
More willingness to dethrone. Interestingly, the Senate have longer terms to achieve more "stability" as compared with the "high turnover" within the House.
how's that working out
_________________
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1567
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another failure of collectivism and idiocracy. Our representatives are more loyal to their political party than to their constituents, and this is only possible because voters are pumped full of populist propaganda to the point that most of them just mindlessly vote a party line based on some irrational, unjustified fear.

Funny thing is that "democracy" and "democratic republics" have been like this since Athens and Rome. Supposedly, there is a science called "political science". Look at how much progress has been made in the past 2,500 years in most areas of science; and how much has been made in politics? If anything, we've gone backward (if you overlook the fact that a larger percentage of the human population is under democratic government).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Yet another failure of collectivism and idiocracy. Our representatives are more loyal to their political party than to their constituents, and this is only possible because voters are pumped full of populist propaganda to the point that most of them just mindlessly vote a party line based on some irrational, unjustified fear.

Funny thing is that "democracy" and "democratic republics" have been like this since Athens and Rome. Supposedly, there is a science called "political science". Look at how much progress has been made in the past 2,500 years in most areas of science; and how much has been made in politics? If anything, we've gone backward (if you overlook the fact that a larger percentage of the human population is under democratic government).

Plebs don't really have a choice without going into revolution and burning the senate and congress down, and going onto witch hunt on various shady organizations that may or may not have anything to do with it. You know, kniggits of malta, Deutsche Verteidigungs Dienst, Zionists, ex. nazi collaborators of jewish origin posing as liberals, etc etc.

The trick is not asking the right question and finding an answer. The trick is facing the answer. And what does it all mean anyway? That we as species cannot progress further and have played out our evolutionary path. Or split the species thanks to technology and eugenics, and give birth to ubermensch? Have you got an invitation? I didn't. Even if I did I doubt I'd go that way.
So why shouldn't we burn the house down?
Voting ... pah. We need Spartacus.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
how's that working out
It's working well. The problems are elsewhere.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1567
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
Yet another failure of collectivism and idiocracy. Our representatives are more loyal to their political party than to their constituents, and this is only possible because voters are pumped full of populist propaganda to the point that most of them just mindlessly vote a party line based on some irrational, unjustified fear.

Funny thing is that "democracy" and "democratic republics" have been like this since Athens and Rome. Supposedly, there is a science called "political science". Look at how much progress has been made in the past 2,500 years in most areas of science; and how much has been made in politics? If anything, we've gone backward (if you overlook the fact that a larger percentage of the human population is under democratic government).

Plebs don't really have a choice without going into revolution and burning the senate and congress down, and going onto witch hunt on various shady organizations that may or may not have anything to do with it. You know, kniggits of malta, Deutsche Verteidigungs Dienst, Zionists, ex. nazi collaborators of jewish origin posing as liberals, etc etc.

The trick is not asking the right question and finding an answer. The trick is facing the answer. And what does it all mean anyway? That we as species cannot progress further and have played out our evolutionary path. Or split the species thanks to technology and eugenics, and give birth to ubermensch? Have you got an invitation? I didn't. Even if I did I doubt I'd go that way.
So why shouldn't we burn the house down?
Voting ... pah. We need Spartacus.
that's what Lenin and Mao said (as did Idi Amin, etc.), and we know how that turned out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Prenj wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
Yet another failure of collectivism and idiocracy. Our representatives are more loyal to their political party than to their constituents, and this is only possible because voters are pumped full of populist propaganda to the point that most of them just mindlessly vote a party line based on some irrational, unjustified fear.

Funny thing is that "democracy" and "democratic republics" have been like this since Athens and Rome. Supposedly, there is a science called "political science". Look at how much progress has been made in the past 2,500 years in most areas of science; and how much has been made in politics? If anything, we've gone backward (if you overlook the fact that a larger percentage of the human population is under democratic government).

Plebs don't really have a choice without going into revolution and burning the senate and congress down, and going onto witch hunt on various shady organizations that may or may not have anything to do with it. You know, kniggits of malta, Deutsche Verteidigungs Dienst, Zionists, ex. nazi collaborators of jewish origin posing as liberals, etc etc.

The trick is not asking the right question and finding an answer. The trick is facing the answer. And what does it all mean anyway? That we as species cannot progress further and have played out our evolutionary path. Or split the species thanks to technology and eugenics, and give birth to ubermensch? Have you got an invitation? I didn't. Even if I did I doubt I'd go that way.
So why shouldn't we burn the house down?
Voting ... pah. We need Spartacus.
that's what Lenin and Mao said (as did Idi Amin, etc.), and we know how that turned out.
Yeah but there is difference between what they say and what they do. Leninism / Maoism is the pattern of perpetual war. It never seeks resolution, it is a play to remove one power axis and install another.
Which is btw how US foreign policy has been working since WW2 at least. So who's Leninist now? :lol:
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Yet another failure of collectivism and idiocracy. Our representatives are more loyal to their political party than to their constituents, and this is only possible because voters are pumped full of populist propaganda to the point that most of them just mindlessly vote a party line based on some irrational, unjustified fear.

Funny thing is that "democracy" and "democratic republics" have been like this since Athens and Rome. Supposedly, there is a science called "political science". Look at how much progress has been made in the past 2,500 years in most areas of science; and how much has been made in politics? If anything, we've gone backward (if you overlook the fact that a larger percentage of the human population is under democratic government).


don't be such a pessimist.

you have structural problems. I'll be the first to say that brits are no less mindless than americans. by my count, there was close to a 40% turnover in the british parliament in the 2010 election.
_________________
wswartzendruber wrote:
Well, every group has its nutjobs, and the Second Amendment crowd is no exception.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1567
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting, though. If you go back and read the details of Roman, Greek, and even Assyrian history, they had the same damned political issues that plague us today: populist demagoguery, partisan dichotomy and polarization, class conflict, propaganda, corruption, wag the dog, the threat of authoritarianism, etc.

On the other hand, outside of democratic states, most of these issues are far worse (they just can't complain or have given up) and the burden of oppressive authoritarianism far, far greater.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
It is interesting, though. If you go back and read the details of Roman, Greek, and even Assyrian history, they had the same damned political issues that plague us today: populist demagoguery, partisan dichotomy and polarization, class conflict, propaganda, corruption, wag the dog, the threat of authoritarianism, etc.

On the other hand, outside of democratic states, most of these issues are far worse (they just can't complain or have given up) and the burden of oppressive authoritarianism far, far greater.

Well yeah. We are monkeys. LSD to the people!
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1567
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever read Brave New World?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Have you ever read Brave New World?
yes but I am not talking about Soma, I am talking about taking it once and coming back with "oh I see it's ALL BULLSHIT". :D
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
Have you ever read Brave New World?
yes but I am not talking about Soma, I am talking about taking it once and coming back with "oh I see it's ALL BULLSHIT". :D


++

8)
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum