EU monarchs more easily dethroned than congress
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: EU monarchs more easily dethroned than congress Reply with quote

Too much job security in congress

Quote:
On one measure, though, the House looks positively aristocratic. Since 2012, when its members were last up for election, 30% of Europe’s monarchies have put newcomers on the throne. By contrast, only around 17 out of 435 House seats—less than 4%—will be competitive in November’s mid-terms.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More willingness to dethrone. Interestingly, the Senate have longer terms to achieve more "stability" as compared with the "high turnover" within the House.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
More willingness to dethrone. Interestingly, the Senate have longer terms to achieve more "stability" as compared with the "high turnover" within the House.
how's that working out
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another failure of collectivism and idiocracy. Our representatives are more loyal to their political party than to their constituents, and this is only possible because voters are pumped full of populist propaganda to the point that most of them just mindlessly vote a party line based on some irrational, unjustified fear.

Funny thing is that "democracy" and "democratic republics" have been like this since Athens and Rome. Supposedly, there is a science called "political science". Look at how much progress has been made in the past 2,500 years in most areas of science; and how much has been made in politics? If anything, we've gone backward (if you overlook the fact that a larger percentage of the human population is under democratic government).
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Yet another failure of collectivism and idiocracy. Our representatives are more loyal to their political party than to their constituents, and this is only possible because voters are pumped full of populist propaganda to the point that most of them just mindlessly vote a party line based on some irrational, unjustified fear.

Funny thing is that "democracy" and "democratic republics" have been like this since Athens and Rome. Supposedly, there is a science called "political science". Look at how much progress has been made in the past 2,500 years in most areas of science; and how much has been made in politics? If anything, we've gone backward (if you overlook the fact that a larger percentage of the human population is under democratic government).

Plebs don't really have a choice without going into revolution and burning the senate and congress down, and going onto witch hunt on various shady organizations that may or may not have anything to do with it. You know, kniggits of malta, Deutsche Verteidigungs Dienst, Zionists, ex. nazi collaborators of jewish origin posing as liberals, etc etc.

The trick is not asking the right question and finding an answer. The trick is facing the answer. And what does it all mean anyway? That we as species cannot progress further and have played out our evolutionary path. Or split the species thanks to technology and eugenics, and give birth to ubermensch? Have you got an invitation? I didn't. Even if I did I doubt I'd go that way.
So why shouldn't we burn the house down?
Voting ... pah. We need Spartacus.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
how's that working out
It's working well. The problems are elsewhere.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

Plebs don't really have a choice without going into revolution and burning the senate and congress down, and going onto witch hunt on various shady organizations that may or may not have anything to do with it. You know, kniggits of malta, Deutsche Verteidigungs Dienst, Zionists, ex. nazi collaborators of jewish origin posing as liberals, etc etc.

The trick is not asking the right question and finding an answer. The trick is facing the answer. And what does it all mean anyway? That we as species cannot progress further and have played out our evolutionary path. Or split the species thanks to technology and eugenics, and give birth to ubermensch? Have you got an invitation? I didn't. Even if I did I doubt I'd go that way.
that's what Lenin and Mao said (as did Idi Amin, etc.), and we know how that turned out.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Prenj wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

that's what Lenin and Mao said (as did Idi Amin, etc.), and we know how that turned out.
Yeah but there is difference between what they say and what they do. Leninism / Maoism is the pattern of perpetual war. It never seeks resolution, it is a play to remove one power axis and install another.
Which is btw how US foreign policy has been working since WW2 at least. So who's Leninist now? :lol:
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:

don't be such a pessimist.

you have structural problems. I'll be the first to say that brits are no less mindless than americans. by my count, there was close to a 40% turnover in the british parliament in the 2010 election.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting, though. If you go back and read the details of Roman, Greek, and even Assyrian history, they had the same damned political issues that plague us today: populist demagoguery, partisan dichotomy and polarization, class conflict, propaganda, corruption, wag the dog, the threat of authoritarianism, etc.

On the other hand, outside of democratic states, most of these issues are far worse (they just can't complain or have given up) and the burden of oppressive authoritarianism far, far greater.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
It is interesting, though. If you go back and read the details of Roman, Greek, and even Assyrian history, they had the same damned political issues that plague us today: populist demagoguery, partisan dichotomy and polarization, class conflict, propaganda, corruption, wag the dog, the threat of authoritarianism, etc.

On the other hand, outside of democratic states, most of these issues are far worse (they just can't complain or have given up) and the burden of oppressive authoritarianism far, far greater.

Well yeah. We are monkeys. LSD to the people!
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever read Brave New World?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
yes but I am not talking about Soma, I am talking about taking it once and coming back with "oh I see it's ALL BULLSHIT". :D
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
yes but I am not talking about Soma, I am talking about taking it once and coming back with "oh I see it's ALL BULLSHIT". :D

++

8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: