View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: The simplicity of the Middle East conflict Reply with quote

The Middle East Problem

Facts > Hate propaganda
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best solution to all parts
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The simplicity of the Middle East conflict Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
The Middle East Problem

Facts > Hate propaganda

he spent very little time on the division of israel. My guess is canadian, brits and americans wouldn't like it if the UN gave have the country away.
cazort
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The simplicity of the Middle East conflict Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
The Middle East Problem

Facts > Hate propaganda

he spent very little time on the division of israel. My guess is canadian, brits and americans wouldn't like it if the UN gave have the country away.

I agree. I think the video side-steps the way Israel was formed, dividing up land that other people were living in, and taking it by force...and more land being taken by force later in the 6-day war.

I think the video itself borders on a form of hate speech, because it makes extreme negative generalizations about Arabs, Muslims, and people involved in the Palestinian side of the conflict. The video states the conflict can be summed up with "one side wants the other side dead". I've talked to people active in a number of campus organizations to promote Palestinian interests, and I don't know anyone personally who advocates violence--everyone I've come into contact with personally, in my social network, universally renounces violence. The concerns I hear are that people want land given back, land that was taken from people by force.

It's an ugly situation...if you look at that region, you find that most, if not all land, has at some point been taken by force, over and over again throughout history. So there may be no easy solution. But I think that if you don't acknowledge that the modern state of Israel was formed by forcibly evicting people from the land, your narrative is going to be ignoring a very basic truth of the situation.
zixnub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this conflict is very well described by the video. It's clear language and complete absence of perspective makes it portray an accurate story of the current conflict. In fact, the video does such a great job explaining the complexity of the conflict, it could be shown to toddlers so they can make a well informed and completely unbiased opinion.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a balance of perspective here. Where are Jew-hating energyman76b, cokehabit, and that insane Cuban who claims to be from Switzerland?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFOf1ezyfI
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is hilarious. The guy who looks like Seinfeld is great. He reluctantly admits "Yeah, my name's David."
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
That is hilarious. The guy who looks like Seinfeld is great. He reluctantly admits "Yeah, my name's David."

Yeah poor guy. :lol:
There is the one when he dresses up in KKK outfit and drives around in black neighborhood. Ari Shaffir. :D
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
We need a balance of perspective here. Where are Jew-hating energyman76b, cokehabit, and that insane Cuban who claims to be from Switzerland?

The OP was hardly balanced. He pretends not to oversimplify, but then gets the world championship trophy for it.
zixnub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

The OP was hardly balanced. He pretends not to oversimplify, but then gets the world championship trophy for it.

but it's the world's most simple conflict!

you have one side: bad
you have the other side: good

wha't not to simple about it?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zixnub wrote:
juniper wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

but it's the world's most simple conflict!

you have one side: bad
you have the other side: good

wha't not to simple about it?

Agreed. Not to mention that it's universal logic applied by both sides. What's not to like?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

It sounds like you're complaining that I said the OP was balanced. I thought I said the opposite.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

It sounds like you're complaining that I said the OP was balanced. I thought I said the opposite.

yeah, i know. didn't mean to come across that way.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The simplicity of the Middle East conflict Reply with quote

cazort wrote:
juniper wrote:
Muso wrote:
The Middle East Problem

Facts > Hate propaganda

I agree. I think the video side-steps the way Israel was formed, dividing up land that other people were living in, and taking it by force...and more land being taken by force later in the 6-day war.

I think the video itself borders on a form of hate speech, because it makes extreme negative generalizations about Arabs, Muslims, and people involved in the Palestinian side of the conflict. The video states the conflict can be summed up with "one side wants the other side dead". I've talked to people active in a number of campus organizations to promote Palestinian interests, and I don't know anyone personally who advocates violence--everyone I've come into contact with personally, in my social network, universally renounces violence. The concerns I hear are that people want land given back, land that was taken from people by force.

It's an ugly situation...if you look at that region, you find that most, if not all land, has at some point been taken by force, over and over again throughout history. So there may be no easy solution. But I think that if you don't acknowledge that the modern state of Israel was formed by forcibly evicting people from the land, your narrative is going to be ignoring a very basic truth of the situation.

Bullshit. Hamas, the Muslim Brotherhood, and many Muslim States, including Iran, have publicly stated they do not recognize Israel, and their intent is the destruction of the country.

How can one have hate speech when it concerns muzzies? They are ignorant, superstitious xenophobes that are a waste of space for the rest of us.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

yeah, i know. didn't mean to come across that way.

Do ten pushups.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The simplicity of the Middle East conflict Reply with quote

cazort wrote:
I think the video side-steps the way Israel was formed, dividing up land that other people were living in, and taking it by force...and more land being taken by force later in the 6-day war.
Historically speaking, it wasn't their land. So how long before Israel's ownership becomes the defacto of being? By some measures, 19 years is a generation, so it has been almost 3.5 generations since it was created. And Palestinians have demonstrated time and again that they aren't interested in peace. And that ignores other regional genocidal evils.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys you ought to know better than to attempt to sound sincere when engaging into an argument along the lines of "who was there first".
Just accept the fact that you live in US which is sometimes referred to as "Jewmerica", and your naturally more biased (or attuned if you wanna put it that way) to cheer for Israel. I mean I find Islam fucked up and horrifying as well, and I grew up surrounded by it and have friends and some family there. It's OK.
You can say "because we can" but you cannot keep your halo. Nobody is perfect.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Nobody is perfect.
Except Palestinians. Or at least those who live in Neverland and ignore every atrocity committed by the terrorists see it that way.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Guys you ought to know better than to attempt to sound sincere when engaging into an argument along the lines of "who was there first".
Just accept the fact that you live in US which is sometimes referred to as "Jewmerica", and your naturally more biased (or attuned if you wanna put it that way) to cheer for Israel. I mean I find Islam fucked up and horrifying as well, and I grew up surrounded by it and have friends and some family there. It's OK.
You can say "because we can" but you cannot keep your halo. Nobody is perfect.

The Jews were there long before the Arabs. That's just simple historical fact. But, you know who was there before the Jews? The Canaanites. And, you know who was there first? The Ethiopians, about 160,000 years ago. So we should give all of the Levant to Ethiopia. And before that, there were Neanderthals. And before that, there were Homo Habilis and Homo Erectus and Homos with Erections.
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
And before that, there were Homo Habilis and Homo Erectus and Homos with Erections.

:lol: And I think you may have found a candidate that the surrounding Arab states might hate having as neighbors even more than the Jews living there.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crazyness comes from both sides claiming "god given rights" and shizzle. Monkeys with mental issues.
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: The simplicity of the Middle East conflict Reply with quote

cazort wrote:

I agree. I think the video side-steps the way Israel was formed, dividing up land that other people were living in, and taking it by force...[/url].

Yeah, the British and French really made a fine mess of dividing up the Ottoman empire after World War I. A damn fine mess, indeed.

The British should get special recognition for their spectacular mismanagement of the Palestinian Mandate, which did a fantastic job setting the stage for the current conflict. They made promises for selfish gains to both the Arabs and Jews living in the area after World War I about how the land would be divided up. Then they hightailed it out of the area after World War II without really fulfilling any of the conflicting promises. It was really a masterful text-book case for anyone studying how to start a conflict between two ethnic groups.

European and Russian xenophobia and racism reaching a fever pitch in the 19th and 20th century with their bouts of pogroms and outright genocide were also an excellent catalyst to flame the Zionist movement into action. It's funny how nobody really gave a shit when those Jewish ex-pats came flooding down from Eastern Europe buying up what a lot of Arabs in the area thought of as useless land in the then Ottoman ruled Nablus Sanjak and surrounding areas.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: The simplicity of the Middle East conflict Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
cazort wrote:

I agree. I think the video side-steps the way Israel was formed, dividing up land that other people were living in, and taking it by force...[/url].

Yeah, the British and French really made a fine mess of dividing up the Ottoman empire after World War I. A damn fine mess, indeed.

The British should get special recognition for their spectacular mismanagement of the Palestinian Mandate, which did a fantastic job setting the stage for the current conflict. They made promises for selfish gains to both the Arabs and Jews living in the area after World War I about how the land would be divided up. Then they hightailed it out of the area after World War II without really fulfilling any of the conflicting promises. It was really a masterful text-book case for anyone studying how to start a conflict between two ethnic groups.

European and Russian xenophobia and racism reaching a fever pitch in the 19th and 20th century with their bouts of pogroms and outright genocide were also an excellent catalyst to flame the Zionist movement into action. It's funny how nobody really gave a shit when those Jewish ex-pats came flooding down from Eastern Europe buying up what a lot of Arabs in the area thought of as useless land in the then Ottoman ruled Nablus Sanjak and surrounding areas.
don't forget the terrorist attacks by the jews on the british forces to force the creation of Israel ;) (quite often forgotten by all, especially Israelis. The irony a nation created out of terrorism is themselves plagued by it is not lost on me :) ).

On the topic of the Ottoman empire... imagine if it wasn't broken up. All that oil in one empires control... WW2 would have been decided earlier depending on the side that allied with - imagine if it was Germany? Hindsight and coulda woulda shoulda is lovely
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: The simplicity of the Middle East conflict Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
On the topic of the Ottoman empire... imagine if it wasn't broken up. All that oil in one empires control... WW2 would have been decided earlier depending on the side that allied with - imagine if it was Germany? Hindsight and coulda woulda shoulda is lovely
What do you mean, germany won anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytnINw6kqoE
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: