config file & preserved libs messages?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: config file & preserved libs messages? Reply with quote

After I succeeded to run 'emerge world' as you may see in the following topic: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-993462-highlight-.html -
I got the following output messages at the end of the running:
Code:
>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* Regenerating GNU info directory index...
 * Processed 129 info files.

!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: net-libs/libsoup-gnome-2.44.2
 *  - /usr/lib64/libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1
 *  - /usr/lib64/libsoup-gnome-2.4.so.1.7.0
 *      used by /usr/lib64/gstreamer-0.10/libgstsouphttpsrc.so (media-plugins/gst-plugins-soup-0.10.31)
>>> package: media-video/ffmpeg-1.2.6
 *  - /usr/lib64/libavutil.so.51
 *  - /usr/lib64/libavutil.so.51.73.101
 *      used by /usr/bin/mediatomb (net-misc/mediatomb-0.12.1-r7)
 *      used by /usr/bin/mencoder (media-video/mplayer-1.1.1-r1)
 *      used by /usr/bin/mplayer (media-video/mplayer-1.1.1-r1)
 *      used by 7 other files
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries

* IMPORTANT: config file '/etc/exports' needs updating.
 * See the CONFIGURATION FILES section of the emerge
 * man page to learn how to update config files.

* IMPORTANT: 2 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

As you can see there are two issues - Preserved libs & Config files - First, please give short explanation for the reasons to these issues:
Preserved libs: Please advise what command should I emerge (if I need at all...)?
Config files: This issue seems to be more important - It has to do to /etc/exports and at the moment I am facing with sharing problem -
I do not see share directory, that I already exported with NFS, from other machine -
I found in the hand book here: ttps://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=3&chap=4 -
Please advise if I need to run 'dispatch-conf' or 'etc-update' and how to do it?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would have been best added to your other thread, but never mind that.

Well, when libraries are updated sometimes the way they interact (called the API) changes. When that happens the software compiled against the old one breaks and will no longer run. Portage used to just let this happen and we had a tool to detect the breakages and fix them. It still exists (revdep-rebuild) but isn't needed as often. Now portage detects when this happens and does not break the packages. Instead it waits for the problem to be fixed before completing the update. See https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/faq.xml.

If you reread your output you will see that portage does tell you what to do: you need to run emerge @preserved-rebuild I recomend adding -av since having portage ask before doing anything and turning on verbosity for more information is good operating practice.

Next, config files. Since portage doesn't know what are edits you have made and what are changes in the config files it requires you to check. If you don't things will break. The page you linked to is an excellent source. Personally I prefer dispatch-conf. I find it to be easer to use than etc-update and safer. It is just too easy to make a mistake with etc-update. Conveniently, both commands are the name of the program. A general rule is that if you edited the file then you should check the changes carefully. If you have never touched it, update it.

The way to read these guides is anything in a code block is a command that is run from a terminal or the contents of a file.

There is actually a third issue in your emerge output and that is news. Important information is distributed issued via the news. This can range from thinks like "ruby18 is no longer supported and you should switch to a newer version" to "OpenRC just hit the tree. Read and follow this guide or your system will not boot"

Use eselect news read all to read all your news. Personally, I purge mine after I deal with it (eselect news purge all). This just cleans it up and makes interacting with it a little easer.

I also recommend you learn about your friend the man command. For example, man emerge will open the manual for emerge, man man will open the manual pages for the manual, etc.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: