Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Anyone have experience drilling for water wells?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Anyone have experience drilling for water wells? Reply with quote

Considering buying some land, wondering if anyone has had to deal with drilling. I'd prefer to avoid purchasing land and ending up with a bill for drilling that makes the land effectively unusable.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live ~500mt from a river, and I just used a small escavator to dig a 4mt deep hole, put a large pipe vertical inside and filled the hole again ..... 3-4h work, 200€ escavator rent, 30€ for the pipe.

But if the land is on rocky soil, far from water sources or the acquifer is too deep it can be expensive. As a rule of thumb here if the acquifer is no deeper than 150mt is worth drilling otherwise no. Consider also the expenses to find the acquifer, the geologist bill can potentiall be high, he will bore small holes to sample the land and find the optimal position for the well.
A professional drill can bore a 150mt well in a few hours.

You need to know if there is and how deep is the acquifer to estimate the costs. Possibly the national geologic survey can give you a generic idea of the acquifer depth in you area.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have experience drilling for water wells? Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Considering buying some land, wondering if anyone has had to deal with drilling. I'd prefer to avoid purchasing land and ending up with a bill for drilling that makes the land effectively unusable.

I've owned properties with wells, plus my in-laws had a well, and it is a hit and miss proposition. You really need to talk to adjacent property owners to get a somewhat reasonable idea of how deep they have to go, and the quality of their water. My Mom and Dad in law had a well that worked fine for a number of years, then it started drying out, only putting out a couple of gallons a minute then petering down to nothing. They ended up drilling deeper and installing a reservoir tank. My folks had a well and it produced a lot of water. "Hard" water that had to go through a filtration system to remove the minerals. But it really varies.

Bottom line: If you can, talk to people in the area.

[edit] My dad had a water witcher locate his well, and the guy nailed it. Just throwing that out there
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I figured it was a lot of experience / guess work. I'll eventually check with a drilling company, but thought I'd see what others had experienced, if anything.

From what little I've found so far, mountain wells are just drilled into rock until they hit water. At ~9k feet, I'm pretty sure no aquifers will be involved :)

There are no close neighbors, and certainly not at the same elevation. The specific property I've started looking at has the primary useable site at the top of a ridge, with a fairly steep draw to either side. The ridge is another couple hundred feet up from the road.

Apparently mountain septic systems are different too, and unsurprisingly more expensive than the traditional style.

At any rate, it'll be interesting to learn the details, but I most likely won't be buying this particular property. A shame, too, since it initially seemed approachable (it may still be, but after wandering around on it a bit, it seems a little less viable).

Someday.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Stupendous Man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dig it with a shovel you lazy fat fuck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: