why conservatives are conservative
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: why conservatives are conservative Reply with quote

Some scyents for ya:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/biology-ideology-john-hibbing-negativity-bias
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience people become conservatives by being around too many control freak leftists. And people become libertarian by being around too many control freak conservatives.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
In my experience people become conservatives by being around too many control freak leftists. And people become libertarian by being around too many control freak conservatives.
True that. And if surrounded by both kind, you go to mountain :D

EDIT: The confusion may come from the fact that liberal vs conservative has nothing to do with political parties. It's a mindset.

for example:
a.) person A is a lawyer and a parent, and a child wants to be car driver. The parents mindset is that he wants the kid to be best driver that it can be, and the slimmer the chances the more training he should try and provide. It's a liberal point of view. The conservative point of view would be to hope that everything is a phase from which the kid should grow out of, because the only thing that is NOT a phase is the stuff that "the parent knows just works, and is". Which is essentially conservative position, they are conserving whatever they base their existance and not seeking further development.

it works in reverse as well:

a parent may be a hippy, and the kid is fucking sick of Jefferson Airplane and Jim Morrison and want's to be a lawyer. The parent may have a knee-jerk reaction until it can see the benefit the society could have from a good lawyer (good as in not corrupted by money interests). However the race here may be even steeper than grooming a race car driver, because it becomes political. So the brave thing to do would be to enable the kid to do what it wants, and hope for the positive outcome regardless how it plays out.

So yeah, liberal is the perception that things get better if we replace stuff that doesn't work ASAP, even though the process is not 100% bulletproof (it's like any kind of development, software development, whatever. You take your chances, with higher goal in mind.) The conservative thing would be to stick with what you know.

That's why you still have companies running windows servers. Not that it works per se, but appearences of "proper corporate blabla" appeals their conservative senses. :lol:
arttuv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love the way these get reported - or even researched. Flinch when you see a large spider with fangs jumping at you in an image? You negatively biased person! Don't like pictures of vomit? You negatively biased person!
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arttuv wrote:
Gotta love the way these get reported - or even researched. Flinch when you see a large spider with fangs jumping at you in an image? You negatively biased person! Don't like pictures of vomit? You negatively biased person!

Love the reaction of people gauging their reaction as "the norm". So conservative. :)

As for the spiders, why should it bother you, really?
arttuv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Love the reaction of people gauging their reaction as "the norm". So conservative. :)

I find it funny mostly when the (self-claimed) liberals do it with their groupthink and hivemind. "You must like X because it's the enlightened thing to do, du jour!"

Quote:
As for the spiders, why should it bother you, really?

I see what you did there. Well done, Sir. But why stop at shaming the out-group which carries a different opinion on spiders? We can actually ban their heretic opinion and lock them up! We'll make the wrong opinion a medical condition! Let's call it arachnophobia for starters.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arttuv wrote:
I find it funny mostly when the (self-claimed) liberals do it with their groupthink and hivemind. "You must like X because it's the enlightened thing to do, du jour!"
That is your interpretation of the things. I am just stating that I don't think like you do, and I won't think like you do even if I was completely alone. It is also observation of how you think.
Why do you don't like how you think? Do you wan't to rule the world and be Absolutely Right? What is it that you are afraid of?
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Haidt

What do you think of this guy's work?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Marley wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Haidt

What do you think of this guy's work?
Never read any of his work, but he sounds like a Social Intuitionist. 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: