screencasting software recommendation?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: screencasting software recommendation? Reply with quote

I need to record my desktop using gentoo and debian.
I'm running xfce4

I looked at this wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_screencasting_software

I wanted the query gentoo users to see what others are using.
I've experimented with vlc and ffmpeg which will take a lot of work.

What screencasting software are you using?
Please throw me a bone.
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: screencasting software recommendation? Reply with quote

cwc wrote:
I need to record my desktop

Ironically enough, there is a package in portage called recordmydesktop.

Code:
$ equery list -p -f recordmydesktop
 * Searching for recordmydesktop ...
[-P-] [  ] media-video/gtk-recordmydesktop-0.3.8-r1:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/gtk-recordmydesktop-0.3.8-r2:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/gtk-recordmydesktop-0.3.8-r3:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/qt-recordmydesktop-0.3.8-r2:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/recordmydesktop-0.3.8.1:0
[-P-] [ ~] media-video/recordmydesktop-0.3.8.1-r1:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/recordmydesktop-0.3.8.1-r3:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/recordmydesktop-0.3.8.1-r4:0
cwc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: screencasting software recommendation? Reply with quote

russK wrote:
cwc wrote:
I need to record my desktop

Ironically enough, there is a package in portage called recordmydesktop.

Code:
$ equery list -p -f recordmydesktop
 * Searching for recordmydesktop ...
[-P-] [  ] media-video/gtk-recordmydesktop-0.3.8-r1:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/gtk-recordmydesktop-0.3.8-r2:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/gtk-recordmydesktop-0.3.8-r3:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/qt-recordmydesktop-0.3.8-r2:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/recordmydesktop-0.3.8.1:0
[-P-] [ ~] media-video/recordmydesktop-0.3.8.1-r1:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/recordmydesktop-0.3.8.1-r3:0
[-P-] [  ] media-video/recordmydesktop-0.3.8.1-r4:0

I saw that. I might try it. Then decide if I'll keep it.
Actually I really appreciate the tip " equery list -p -f recordmydesktop
Just thought I'd ask for advice.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately not suitable for recording games, media players, and probably other things using opengl
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw ffmpeg works pretty great; I use a wrapper script that gets coordinates from xwininfo and passes them to `ffmpeg -i x11grab`.

The main problem is that it's absolutely useless at keeping audio/video synced in its output, the only method I've found that works is to record those to separate files and remux afterwards to fix it.
cwc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Raw ffmpeg works pretty great; I use a wrapper script that gets coordinates from xwininfo and passes them to `ffmpeg -i x11grab`.

The main problem is that it's absolutely useless at keeping audio/video synced in its output, the only method I've found that works is to record those to separate files and remux afterwards to fix it.

Could you send me your script please.

Wow: xwininfo
This is an interesting tool. xwininfo is worth it's wait in gold. thanks
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

2020-07-08 Edit

There is also 'media-video/obs-studio' these days, which can be pretty convenient!

2020-07-08 End Edit

Ant P. wrote:

I use something very similar, probably, and I seem to remember having sync-issues as well. I found that using libx264 and libvo_aacenc in a mp4 container work well for keeping sync, as long as the demonic ALSA buffer xrun can be kept away...

It's working pretty well for almost any recording, but if there is something CPU-intensive enough running, the outcome isn't too great. Them xruns will creep out from their hidey-spots, and the video will be staggering in all the terrible ways (as an example, I might mention Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which runs so fast with the “command-stream patches” that it takes around 200% of my six (6) cores when not divided by six).

cwc wrote:

Could you send me your script please.
Wow: xwininfo
This is an interesting tool. xwininfo is worth it's wait in gold. thanks

Indeed. I'm pretty sure the one I first stumbled upon looked something like this (retrieved from https://gist.github.com/flussence/1361164):

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# this bit came from youtube.com/watch?v=_XDa1ahl7fw
INFO=$(xwininfo)
WIN_GEO=$(echo $INFO | grep -oEe 'geometry [0-9]+x[0-9]+' | grep -oEe '[0-9]+x[0-9]+')
WIN_XY=$(echo $INFO | grep -oEe 'Corners:\s+\+[0-9]+\+[0-9]+' | grep -oEe '[0-9]+\+[0-9]+' | sed -e 's/\+/,/' )

AUDIO_INPUT="-f alsa -i hw:0,0 -ac 2"
VIDEO_INPUT="-f x11grab -r 30 -s $WIN_GEO -i :0.0+$WIN_XY"
#AUDIO_CODEC="-acodec pcm_s16le"
AUDIO_CODEC="-acodec flac"
VIDEO_CODEC="-vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast"
EXTRA_OPTS="-async 100"
EXTRA_OPTS="$EXTRA_OPTS -threads 2"

# seems to make it laggier
#schedtool -I -e \
    ffmpeg \
        $AUDIO_INPUT $VIDEO_INPUT \
        $AUDIO_CODEC $VIDEO_CODEC \
        $EXTRA_OPTS \
        -y screencap-$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S).mkv

I would like to hand over a thank you to whomever it was that whipped it together and first put it into circulation.

I don't remember where I first saw it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't at github. Might have been through these forums, might have been a surprise find on a stroll around. In any case, thanks to everyone who mentioned it!

At least now, there exist quite a lot of guides, such as this one at ffmpeg trac.

It was a great tool to me for a long time since from when I found it some years ago. It also gave me ideas towards creating a script for taking shots of the screen, which I tend to do quite a bit. Quite a bit too much, probably, and since they're often from different applications, sorting thousands if not tens of thousands of images never proved to be too much of fun times when they all have basically the same name.
So it was, that a spark went off somewhere and I first started experimenting with shell-scripting. I managed to add a 'feature' which takes the active window-title and uses that in the naming of the file. That is something I should have done a long time ago, for it was quite simple to do indeed, and proved to be huge success of sorts.

For a long time, it remained unchanged. Sure, it worked fine, except for... one might guess something along the lines of “what of titles that have URLs or file-paths in them?” Creating files with such names of course wouldn't work, so, rather recently, I finally took it upon myself to learn some more, and I managed to stick in some safe(?) checks which, if need be, adjust the name. Thus, no slashing should occur...

Why stop there, said a pillar to an ant.

For yet another set of time, I had the ffmpeg-script set to select the window to record and had bound it to am extra-key of a Logitech G15 keyboard (I never really made use of its macro-keys :\). Most of the time, I really didn't need to be able to select the window, so I adjusted it to what I had done with the screen-shooting-script; make it record the active window, automagically, when triggered.

What if I wanted both, or full-screen even? No pro—blamo, I thought, while I added in options: -a --active-window, -s --selected-window, and -f --full-screen, which makes things quite convenient since I can simply bind it with different options set to different keys!

Some features I removed, namely those bits invoking sed and tr, which required a new process for each to be started every time, which doesn't seem too practical (although visible slowdowns are probably not too likely to occur in such a small script, but anyblue...). I figured using making use of Parameter Expansion in their place would be (a) good practice.

I'm not entirely sure it's ready for anyone else to see (I don't want steveL to pass out from the shock, for example), and I've been fiddling in my mind with ideas of having the script talk to the user, making it possible to configure save-paths, video/picture\audio formats, etc., but I'm not sure if I'm thinking too far to the side. I also suspect many have already done this, and done it better, so it may be best left as something I learn with, personally.

Moreover, portability certainly hasn't been a thing, for I set out to learn Bash, and stick using Bash with regards to this “project”.

A quick (yet huge) thank you also goes to Greg's Wiki, for the guides and lore, as well as ShellCheck, the fun application which checks some scripts, and gives helpful tips!

Huh. I just wanted to provide the script I once used, and somehow it turned into that.

Oh whell... blubb!

Last edited by Chiitoo on Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
cwc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: thanks Chiitoo l33t Reply with quote

thanks Chiitoo l33t

this is a very detailed response everyone will benefit from.
Plus I've got some homework to do to understand it all :)

Smiles
cwc
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Yep, I remember using that bash script myself a long time ago... though these days I have a huge perl5 wrapper full of experimental stuff for multiple input sources and streaming. One day I'll finish cleaning it up for normal people to use...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: