Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
$2,400 'Introduction to Linux' course made free.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_deaux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: $2,400 'Introduction to Linux' course made free. Reply with quote

I saw this in Linux Voice magazine and thought I'd post about it.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2014/03/linux-foundation-build-massive-open-online-course-program-edx

I've worked with Linux for the past 10 years but don't really know as much as I should so I signed up for the class, which begins August 1st.

The one thing that bothers me is the certificate of completion, I can pay them $250 and get actual credit hours or for nothing I can get an honorary certificate. Still mulling this one over...

Anyway, I hope someone will find this helpful.

J_D
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Upon completion of this training you should have a good working knowledge of Linux, from both a graphical and command line perspective, allowing you to easily navigate through any of the major Linux distributions. You will be able to continue your progress as either a user, system administrator or developer using the acquired skill set.

That's a rather vague set of learning objectives for a "$2,400 course".
john_deaux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Quote:
Upon completion of this training you should have a good working knowledge of Linux, from both a graphical and command line perspective, allowing you to easily navigate through any of the major Linux distributions. You will be able to continue your progress as either a user, system administrator or developer using the acquired skill set.

That's a rather vague set of learning objectives for a "$2,400 course".

Maybe so. I'm going to give it a go and I'll comment on it while I'm going through it.

J_D
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like it was intended as linux familiarization training for corporate workers. If you've been using Gentoo for some time, I suspect that you are well beyond most of what it's going to cover.

I bought a book oriented at preparation for LPI Linux certification, worked my way through it, and I got a lot out of that. There are other certification programs as well. Those are fairly in-depth, have very clearly defined requirements coordinated among groups of people, and if you end up getting a certification, you've got something useful to show for it (not a "certificate of completion", meaningless because nobody's ever heard of the course and it has unknown standards). They also cost money, although there is some free training material available, and there are books you can use to educate yourself (which are inexpensive compared to most training).

Since this is free though, what the hell. It can't hurt. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: