Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't boot with systemd (OpenRC used instead)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twenynge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Can't boot with systemd (OpenRC used instead) Reply with quote

I've got a fresh install and I'm planning on using gnome with systemd. Followed the directions in the gentoo handbook as well as the directions to install gnome/systemd from scratch, but I can't get the installation to use systemd for boot. For the sake of troubleshooting, it is safe to assume that I followed the handbook exactly with the exception of the modifications listed in http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd/Installing_Gnome3_from_scratch (which were also followed exactly). It keeps using openrc regardless of whether I add
Code:
reai_init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
to my /etc/default/grub file.

I'm using an initramfs, so I'm guessing that is the problem, but the directions on the wiki do not address how to modify an initramfs to use systemd instead of openrc. I have two questions:

1) How do I get my system to use systemd instead of openrc?
2) Is http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd/Installing_Gnome3_from_scratch wrong? If so, do I have the ability to add a comment to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Twenynge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! My plan worked. It seems the first step in troubleshooting any Linux problem is to accuse someone else of being wrong (in this case the wiki). Then you have at least a 50% chance finding out that it was your own screw up all along. It turns out the key line in /etc/default/grub was commented out. Who said sticking your foot in your mouth was a bad thing...
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twenynge wrote:
Who said sticking your foot in your mouth was a bad thing...

Twenynge ... that would be me, though what I actually said was "it tastes like gorgonzola left out on a warm summers day". There is a word for such things: pebkac ... there are many of them operating in layer 8.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: