Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Sound not working (volume control in KDE is up, but says 0%)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathias_redd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Sound not working (volume control in KDE is up, but says 0%) Reply with quote

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why my sound doesn't work. I have the volume controllers in alsamixer turned up all the way, and the master volume in KDE soundmixer turned up all the way, but the sound controller in KDE still says 0% when I hover over it. The default device was incorrect when I installed Gentoo and KDE, so I changed the following three lines in my alsa.conf to look like this:

Code:
localhost matthew # nano -w /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf

defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card Creative
defaults.pcm.device 0

Code:
localhost matthew # alsamixer

Card: HDA Creative                                                                                                                                       F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: Creative SB0880 X-Fi                                                                                                                               F2:  System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All                                                                                                                 F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item: Master [dB gain: 0.00]                                                                                                                             Esc: Exit               │

│          │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│                                                              │
│          │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│           ┌───── Sound Card ──────┐           │▒▒│                                                              │
│          │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│           │-  (default)           │           │▒▒│                                                              │
│          │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│           │0  HDA ATI HDMI        │           │▒▒│                                                              │
│          │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│           │1  HDA Creative        │           │▒▒│                                                              │
│          │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│           │   enter device name...│           │▒▒│                                                              │
│          │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│           └───────────────────────┘           │▒▒│                                                              │
│          │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│             │▒▒│                                                              │

│          ├──┤             └──┘             ├──┤             ├──┤             ├──┤             ├──┤             ├──┤             ┌──┐             ┌──┐           Disabled         │
│          │OO│                              │OO│             │OO│             │OO│             │OO│             │OO│             │OO│             │OO│                            │
│          └──┘                              └──┘             └──┘             └──┘             └──┘             └──┘             └──┘             └──┘                            │
│          100            100<>100         100<>100         100<>100           100              100            100<>100                                                            │
│   <     Master     >      PCM             Front           Surround          Center            LFE              Side            S/PDIF      S/PDIF Default P  Auto-Mute Mode      │

Also, here is the output of 'aplay -L':

Code:
localhost matthew # aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0
    HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
default:CARD=Creative
    HDA Creative, SB0880 X-Fi Analog
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Creative
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Creative,DEV=0
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Creative,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Creative,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Creative,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Creative,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Creative,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers                                                                                                           
iec958:CARD=Creative,DEV=0                                                                                                                                                         
    HDA Creative, SB0880 X-Fi Digital                                                                                                                                               
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

Any help would be of much appreciation. Thanks in advance.
mathias_redd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Update: Reply with quote

This may be a little off topic, but might help in determining the problem. One of the first things that I installed after Gentoo was sys-kernel/linux-firmware and radeon-ucode. When I tried to install linux-firmware again, I got this:

Code:
localhost matthew # emerge -av sys-kernel/linux-firmware

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20131230  USE="-savedconfig" 20,717 k
[blocks B      ] x11-drivers/radeon-ucode ("x11-drivers/radeon-ucode" is blockin
[blocks B      ] sys-kernel/linux-firmware[-savedconfig] ("sys-kernel/linux-firm

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 20,717 kB
Conflict: 2 blocks (2 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20131230::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulle
    sys-kernel/linux-firmware

(x11-drivers/radeon-ucode-20140204::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    x11-drivers/radeon-ucode required by @selected

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just KDE or does sound not work at all?

e.g. can you use aplay or mpg123 or xmp to play sound from the console?

I think the firmware thing is normal; the linux-firmware pulls in loads of firmwares and I suspect that includes the radeon one which is why the block happens. If you need the full-fat linux-firmware, it should be safe to remove the radeon one so it can install.
mathias_redd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no sound anywhere in linux or 'KDE'. Aplay does not work. I can't hear mp3's, flash content, or KDE system sounds. If it helps any, my sound card is Creativelabs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional. I am using (or trying to use) logitech 5.1 Surround sound speakers.
The sound is completely non-existent.
mathias_redd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked into this and have come to the conclusion that there is no ALSA driver for this sound card (emu20k2). I turned on my on-board sound and I unfortunately have to use it. What I'm wondering is if someone can tell me what driver to load for my on-board sound. My motherboard is an MSI 890FXA-GD70. It uses a RealTek audio chip and is model ALC889. I can't find any info in the ALSA Sound Matrix for any RealTek chips.
swathe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have access to my home machine so cannot check but I run a x-fi PCI-E card under arch and it works fine. I will try to remember to check after work for you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: