View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spidey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: adobe-flash crashing all the time in firefox Reply with quote

I've updated my system, kernel and packages, and now firefox is not working very well with flash. Even on YouTube, some videos crash while seeking and changing the quality settings.
I was using amd64, both firefox and flash. I've tried emerging nspluginwrapper and I currently have adobe-flash with 32 and 64 bits versions. Should I purge the 64 bit one to make sure I'm using the 32 bit version?

[I] www-plugins/adobe-flash
Available versions: 11.2.202.378^ms {debug kde selinux sse2 ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_X86="32 64 x32"}
Installed versions: 11.2.202.378^ms(22:46:25 28-06-2014)(sse2 -debug -kde -selinux ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32")
Homepage: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer.html
Description: Adobe Flash Player

I thought Adobe was discontinuing 32 bit flash for Linux or something.
Spidey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just did that, emerged adobe-flash with -abi_x86_64 and emerged nspluginwrapper, flash seems to be behaving better now. Let me try it like this for a while.
Spidey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a problem. Even though running the 32bit flash is much better in terms of not crashing all the time, I lose hardware acceleration provided by libvdpau-va-gl. I need that to play 1080p videos on YouTube, since my Core i3 can't handle it without droping lots of frames. Any guesses?
Spidey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one with the same problem? Flash just sucks and that's it?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been having troubles with flash every now and then, too. I've started thinking about Chrome or Chromium - the Google browser. I get the impression that flash development is still alive there.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins, Spidey!

I've been using adobe-flash without nspluginwrapper since it was possible to do so, I think, and never really had problems with it (not to the extent you are describing).

Here's the latest info on it:

Code:
www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.2.202.394 was built with the following:
USE="kde sse2 (-debug) (-selinux)" ABI_X86="64 -32 -x32"

Reminds me I can probably drop the kde-flag from it...

Spidey wrote:
I thought Adobe was discontinuing 32 bit flash for Linux or something.

I believe they ceased developing adobe-flash for Linux; 64-bit version is still there, but the package as a whole is only receiving security updates going forward.

Quote:
Flash just sucks and that's it?

Pretty much, yeah. That is my general understanding of it, hoping it will be gone for good sooner than later! >.<

Usually using Opera, which is done for, and QupZilla, which I'm not too sure yet. I do have Firefox around too, but I generally don't use it these days.

Chrom{ium,e} is/are not, and wont be an option to me, mostly probably due to their hatred towards options, and well, the Google part in general... though I'm not sure if it's too sane to try and avoid them at this point.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, after a system upgrade 64-bit flash always crashes when I try to play Amazon Prime videos but YouTube seem okay although I haven't played many of them. A few days ago I got 11.2.202.400 to work with Amazon. Once it started working I could watch video after video but I can't remember the trick I used to get it first started. Maybe it was a fluke.

I tried downgrading (and restarting) udev and reinstalling hal-flash but that didn't help. I switched to 32-bit flash and that fails on Amazon when it is trying to "load video player". I tried to downgrade flash from ebuilds in the archives but that fails when trying to build the manifest because it can't download some i386 file(s) from adobe. This is very strange because the file it is choking on seems to be in /usr/portage/distfiles. Also I have not purged/cleaned that directory for a very long time. I suspect that if I could install the older version then it would work again. I keep clearing the cache, "rm -r ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/\#SharedObjects" but that hasn't helped either.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just second that you might want to give chromium a try with the www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins. This is an actively developed flash implementation for Linux, and I think chromium gives a better user experience than Firefox, but that is just my opinion.'

I also haven't noted a lack of configurability on chromium.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
I'll just second that you might want to give chromium a try with the www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins.

The description of www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins is:
Quote:
Binary plugins from Google Chrome for use in Chromium

Google-chrome (at least on Linux) does not work with Amazon videos. It used to work and then Amazon blocked it or something. Do you think chromium with the chrome plugins will be any different?

I tried downgrading firefox and that didn't help. Next I'm going to try pipelight.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *almost* have pipelight working with Firefox. I don't think it works with Chrome anymore. Both Amazon and NetFlix require that you use SilverLight. Pipelight is very cool. You can enable any plugin they have available with:
Code:
pipelight-plugin --accept --enable $PLUGIN
I disabled NoScript and https-everwhere as instructed. I also used User Agent Overrider.

On both sites I can get audio but the video is messed up. It is a static image with horizontal stripes of different parts of video. I messed around and could get it to show my desktop background (I think). No buttons or controls seemed to be available but right-clicking on the "video" gave me a little pipelight/silverlight menu.

It could just be an issue of configuration. There is a silverlight configuration for pipelight (with 3 or 4 different versions of silverlight). The user agent string seems to be critical. If it's not a problem with my lack of HDMI then I I've gotten past the DRM and just need to get the video configuration right to work on my system.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
Google-chrome (at least on Linux) does not work with Amazon videos. It used to work and then Amazon blocked it or something. Do you think chromium with the chrome plugins will be any different?

That is unfortunate. I was unaware of that since I don't use Amazon videos very frequently.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
shazeal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
I *almost* have pipelight working with Firefox. I don't think it works with Chrome anymore. Both Amazon and NetFlix require that you use SilverLight. Pipelight is very cool. You can enable any plugin they have available with:
Code:
pipelight-plugin --accept --enable $PLUGIN
I disabled NoScript and https-everwhere as instructed. I also used User Agent Overrider.

For Netflix at least you do not need Pipelight or Silverlight etc when using Chrome afaik. Just remove all those and change your user-agent to reflect a Windows Chrome agent. Quite a few posts on Google about it, I think you need the actual Chrome not Chromium for it though since it uses Licenced codecs.

I personally just gave up on Flash in Firefox, and TBH I have not really noticed the downside. 99% of Youtube still works, Vimeo works, and any other site that tries to show me a video I could care less about since its mostly spam/rubbish anyway.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shazeal wrote:
For Netflix at least you do not need Pipelight or Silverlight etc when using Chrome afaik. Just remove all those and change your user-agent to reflect a Windows Chrome agent.

I tried this just as you said. Netfix then insists I must install silver light and we are back to the same old problem of sound but no video. Upgrading Firefox to 24.7.0 didn't help either. I'm going to try editing the pipeline-silverlight config.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: