View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed KDE from all my machines. It sucks. I am using IceWM and that works fine. It's small, has all I need, is Motif compatible, looks alright and runs fast on a local X terminal as well as a remote one.
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed KDE from all my machines. It sucks. I am using IceWM and that works fine. It's small, has all I need, is Motif compatible, looks alright and runs fast on a local X terminal as well as a remote one.
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motif :-)
I am going to play a bit with my sparcstation4 during the summer holidays, I found on some EBAY auctions some parts to make it become a sparcstation5 ....
still using the last CDE available for 32bit sparc, motif had potential but the APIs were really too convoluted and impossible..... and if that wasn't enough the CDE APIs on top of that ....
NeWS was 1000s times better, it was a shame that Motif/CDE won the desktop battle back than, it was a bad product since the beggininng and infact it did not go anywhere.

And I like more Intel and their product Wayland than HP and their Motif/CDE
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:

The only problem is that sometimes it causes me to make duplicate posts.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildhorse wrote:

The only problem is that sometimes it causes me to make duplicate posts.
Aiken
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:

I have a static ip6 subnet, a /48 and after weeks also got the reverse dns delegation, my plan to run an ip6 only smtp server failed because there are too many ip4 only smtp servers out there ....... basically an ip6 only smtp server receives emails from google, yahoo and a few others .......

I have a static /56 and ptr delegation. For 3 weeks I had an ipv6 only mail server set up and had it listed as one of my mx. The other mx are dual stack. Most of my ipv6 smtp traffic is between the mx, ipv6 to/from google, ipv6 to anyone at the same isp I am with with ipv4 the return path. Yahoo for me is all ipv4 and so is nearly everyone else.

The only upside I found was spammers did not touch it.
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiken wrote:

The only upside I found was spammers did not touch it.

exactly :!: :!: :!: :!:

That is the best part :-)

Now I am refusing non tls connection & fail2ban for 24h at the first spam attempt :-)

At least most ip4 smtp deliver with tls.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys use dnssec or similar?
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your ip address is more or less stable you can set up a dns at home and point a freedns.afraid.org subdomain to your NS, and play with DNSSEC. This will slow you down quite a lot when browsing your sites from outside however. NS must point to a A address so a 'fixed' ip is a requirement.

Quote:
Type: NS - Point subdomain.domain.com to another NAMESERVER. If you choose this option, then whatever subdomain.domain.com address you choose using FreeDNS will have to be configured and setup on the destination ADDRESS (nameserver) that you choose. This option basically means you are delegating a FreeDNS host to another DNS server all together, so when you choose this option you are telling every computer on the internet to ask the 'address' where subdomain.domain.com is located at. If the host you point an NS record to is not configured to answer for the subdomain.domain.com that you are using in FreeDNS then the subdomain.domain.com host will not resolve.

Aiken
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not played with dnssec. For my ipv6 ptr delegation and for 1 sub domain I had previously done what erm67 mentioned about setting a dns on the home connection to play. How well that works would depend on the connection. I am on adsl that suffers bad congestion during peak times. Have a download going in peak times and the down delay can hit 3500ms which does not help dns lookups from either end of the adsl link. Have a download going out side of peak times and nothing bad happens.

Have 2 vps I use and thinking of having the home dns as master with the bind in each of the vps as slave. Then can makes the changes at home, the 2 slaves sync and are on a more reliable connection to the net. So instead of the ipv6 ptr and the sub domain pointing to home would have them pointing to the 2 vps instead.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: