issues with plymouth
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gotyaoi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: issues with plymouth Reply with quote

So, I've been installing gentoo on my new laptop, and everything is working fine now. However, for a while there, I was having a bear of a time getting plymouth to work correctly.

I was having this problem where the bootsplash never left. My other consoles were accessible with ctrl-alt-f{2-6}, but f1 was the bootsplash. Even when removing the "quiet splash" part from my kernel line, keyboard input was messed up on f1. I tried upgrading to 0.9.0, but that just plain didn't work at all. It appears to not honor the VIDEO_CARDS USE setting like stable version does, and displayed nothing, while still not exiting. I downgraded back to stable.

Turns out I needed sys-boot/plymouth-openrc-plugin to get things working correctly, which is odd, because it has no stable version, and is apparently unmaintained? So yeah, while things are working now, I'm still a little confused and unsure if I did things correctly. Anyone using plymouth have any insight into these issues?
Maffblaster
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Plymouth Reply with quote

I'm using Plymouth, and I think this issue caused because most users have a display manager start the X server for them, which causes the tty7 to be used instead of tty1. If a display manager (gdm, kdm, slim, etc) is called the bootsplash screen will "disappear" because another virtual console will be used. Does that make sense? I'm definitely not sure if that's actually what's going on, but it's my best guess.

If you find out any more information let me know. There is very little documentation on Plymouth. I just updated the Plymouth Gentoo wiki today in order to help others install/configure it. I'd really like to broaden my knowledge of the subject.
gotyaoi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'll give it a shot. This was before I setup SLIM, so that might make a change.
gotyaoi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No joy. Without plymouth-openrc-plugin, slim does start, but plymouth is still running on tty1, and trying to log in through slim just gives a blank screen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: