[SOLVED] Networking blues on a new box
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Networking blues on a new box Reply with quote

EDIT:: Fixed (rather, "circumvented") the problem by manually downloading all necessary files, (ie, from the web) copying to USB and then porting them over to the new machine.
-the Stage3 was first extracted in root directory,
-portage was extracted to /usr,
-and then all /usr/portage/distfiles were taken from an existing installation.
-Went trigger-happy with emerge, was able to compile the kernel. Will try this with a newer kernel version.

Hey, all.
Not entirely sure what info would be useful or useless, so apologies for the wall of text or lack of info, etc etc.

Anyway, the title says it all; long story short, in preparation for a PC I've just finished building, I've "rehearsed" the installation enough to where I'm sufficiently familiar with the process to get almost everything working--except a working internet connection.
Prior to this installation, I'd installed Gentoo on a VM as well as a fairly old laptop, so in the former case, connection was automatic, and the latter required very little intervention. So this was all quite painless.

So here's my conundrum:
-Although I *do* have a wireless device, Gentoo doesn't display it under ifconfig; # lspci, however, shows this entry near the bottom of the list:
Code:
03:00.0  Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4352 902.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)

ifconfig simply displays eno1 and lo. ( Side note; I can't seem to find any info in the documentation as to what these two actually are. Is it safe to assume that eno1 is *ethernet*? )

So it looks like wireless isn't gonna be a thing, at least for now. Problem is, though, a direct ethernet connection is going to take me a while to get a hold of, so that's not an option either. (I know this sounds utterly stupid, but the house here has a weird set up, so just bear with me.), so that's two ways I'm SOL.

My main question:
-So THEN I thought I could set up a shared network with the aforementioned laptop (which does, in fact, have wifi.), since I do have an ethernet cable.
Can I do this and how would I do it during installation?

Last edited by Crackerjackthe4th on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:56 am; edited 3 times in total
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking blues on a new box Reply with quote

Forgot to mention:

I AM able to ping the host machine, but nothing else. Using links, wget, etc, or pinging anything else yields no results.
The laptop itself, if it matters, is still running Ubuntu (now 14.04)
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I do this and how would I do it during installation?
Yes, but it would be painful. You need to set the laptop up to act as a router.

A more elegant solution is to use the system rescue CD as an install media. It has much better hardware support than the Gentoo minimal CD and will not change the installation in any way.

Failing that, an easy solution would be to use emerge --fetchonly on your laptop and then transfer the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles from your laptop to you new desktop. You would need to manually untar the portage snapshot instead of emerge-websync it.

Although, ifconfig just says that your wireless isn't active. If ifconfig -a doesn't find it then you are missing the driver. Given it is a Broadcom, this is very likely.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

Just successfully got systemrescue all set up, and loaded on my system. However, ifconfig (even with -a argument,) still isn't detecting my wireless device.
You mentioned I'd be missing a driver? If I can find the driver, would I be able to manually bring it over to the new box, and how exactly would I go about that?
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think I may have just found the driver...

I'm assuming that I can just put it on a USB, move it into the installation environment and extract it? Anything else I need to know? Because this would be the first time I've done anything like this.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should examine dmesg to see why your NIC is not working before you do anything else.
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
You should examine dmesg to see why your NIC is not working before you do anything else.

Thanks for the heads up. What exactly should I be looking out for, though? dmesg is currently just giving me a bunch of nonsense about "USB devices" being "disconnected" and "detected," etc.

On a side note, for now I'm just taking the Doctor's advice and manually moving everything to the new desktop via USB. I successfully got the stage3 and Portage this way, but there's one last thing I'm not too clear on:
I can manually download the "vanilla" Linux sources, but those "added features," patches, etc mentioned in the manual kinda worry me. *can* I just do this with the Kernel and later get all those added features by just updating the system? Because:

The Doctor wrote:
Failing that, an easy solution would be to use emerge --fetchonly on your laptop...

I forgot to mention; I don't currently have an active installation of Gentoo. I'd only intended to keep it installed on this box. ( Though I could probably rectify this if that's necessary. )
And for the life of me I can *not* find gentoo-sources for manual download anywhere.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge --fetchonly can be used in two ways.

One will give you the exact links you need to the sourcecode. For example
Code:
emerge --fetchonly -pv =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.12.21-r1

These are the packages that would be fetched, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/linux-3.12.tar.xz http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-3.12.tar.xz

http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/genpatches-3.12-23.base.tar.xz http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/gentoo/distfiles/genpatches-3.12-23.base.tar.xz http://gentoo.ussg.indiana.edu/distfiles/genpatches-3.12-23.base.tar.xz http://gentoo-distfiles.mirrors.tds.net/distfiles/genpatches-3.12-23.base.tar.xz http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/genpatches-3.12-23.base.tar.xz

http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/genpatches-3.12-23.extras.tar.xz http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/genpatches-3.12-23.extras.tar.xz http://gentoo.ussg.indiana.edu/distfiles/genpatches-3.12-23.extras.tar.xz http://gentoo-distfiles.mirrors.tds.net/distfiles/genpatches-3.12-23.extras.tar.xz http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/gentoo/distfiles/genpatches-3.12-23.extras.tar.xz
You don't need to be version specific and there are multiple mirrors listed. Usually, you only need one download because everything is packaged in a tarball. Others, like gentoo-sources, has several. This is usually due to patches. In this case, there are 3 different downloads.

The other is to use your VM to actually fetch the source code. Then you just need to copy your /usr/portage/distfiles directory via a usb (or other media) to your new install. This is the first place portage stores the source code after it fetches it. Using your VM in this way is probably the easiest way to do a sneakernet install since you don't actually have to find and download the code yourself. Sorry if this was unclear in my previous post.

If you don't have the VM anymore then you will need to use the first method. In this case I would advice against installing extra packages that are not required (like a cron) until you have networking. This will probably still be quite a long list since you need at minimum wpa_supplicant, dhcpcd and linux-firmware. You will have to get wireless working from the command line which is a real pain but there are several good guides on the topic.

Actually, This you may find this post to be a clearer explanation than mine.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response-- work, and all.

I'll get right on that. Thanks again; will post results soon as I'm able.
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crackerjackthe4th wrote:

And for the life of me I can *not* find gentoo-sources for manual download anywhere.

The file isn't called gentoo-sources; you need a linux-xxx.tar.bz2 file, a genpatches-xxx.base.tar.xz file
and a genpatches-xxx.extras.tar.xz file; I think that's the lot, but there may be more odds and ends.

Life's easier if you can boot a Gentoo system and run "emerge --fetchonly gentoo-sources". With
no net connection it will fail, but it will tell you which files it wants to download. Sneakernet is then
your fiend ...

Will
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwr wrote:
Crackerjackthe4th wrote:

The file isn't called gentoo-sources; you need a linux-xxx.tar.bz2 file, a genpatches-xxx.base.tar.xz file
and a genpatches-xxx.extras.tar.xz file.

Thanks, though I actually meant online, since I was just going to download everything in one place and then cart it over to the new install manually.
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side note: What else would I have to do to get this thing working? As far as I can see, copying all my distfiles didn't really make much of a difference.
I can see that the patches (extra and base) and the kernel are also there.
.....and there's also a bunch of other useful looking stuff here, too, though I'm not sure where to put all of it.
EDIT: Brainfart: completely overlooked the fact that emerge can install stuff without a connection. It's been one of those days, I guess.

I read over your last post, and I pretty much followed it to a t, but having wpa_supp, dchpcd, etc, won't really help me a whole lot right now, since Gentoo won't so much as *detect* my wireless adapter.

Although on *that* note: found a wireless driver that works like a charm, (tested it in other distros) but I have to build it from a makefile, and the Make utility seems to be giving me some strange error:
Code:
KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd`
make: *** /lib/modules/3.12.21-gentoo-r1/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make *** [all] Error 2

Building it in another distro and porting it over also yields poor results. The above error message makes me think I need 3.12.21-gentoo-r1, which, as I recall, should be in /usr/src , if memory serves?
( It's from this: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php )

So I guess that makes two questions:
distfiles has been completely copied as per my other installation. So what now?
Any way to work around this, or have I already ported over the tools I need for this?

Last edited by Crackerjackthe4th on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crackerjackthe4th wrote:
I read over your last post, and I pretty much followed it to a t, but having wpa_supp, dchpcd, etc, won't really help me a whole lot right now, since Gentoo won't so much as *detect* my wireless adapter.
Ahh, that is a key point. The idea isn't to get your network working during the install. The idea is for it to work after the install is completed.
Crackerjackthe4th wrote:
emerge <package> should work. This should allow you to follow the handbook. If it fails to work it should give you the url it is trying to download so you can use your working connection to download the file and manually transfer it.
Crackerjackthe4th wrote:
Any way to work around this, or have I already ported over the tools I need for this?
The tools I listed should be enough, provided your enable the correct driver in the kernel. Broadcom isn't the most friendly wireless adapter, but it should work okay once all the peices are in place. I don't know which driver you need specifically. Generally speaking you will get into trouble if you try to pull files and/or programs from different distros since Gentoo won't know what to do with them.

Quote:
Although on *that* note: found a wireless driver that works like a charm, (tested it in other distros) but I have to build it from a makefile, and the Make utility seems to be giving me some strange error:

I did some googling on this. Actually, you do NOT want to do that. What you want to do is emerge broadcom-sta Using packages provided by Gentoo is always the best solution if possible.

Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Crackerjackthe4th wrote:
Ahh, that is a key point. The idea isn't to get your network working during the install. The idea is for it to work after the install is completed.

Eh, I figured as much...

The Doctor wrote:
Crackerjackthe4th wrote:
emerge <package> should work.

Yeah, I actually edited that shortly ago. Forgot about that. Been one of those days, I guess.

Quote:
Quote:

I did some googling on this. Actually, you do NOT want to do that. What you want to do is emerge broadcom-sta Using packages provided by Gentoo is always the best solution if possible.

Good to know.

Thanks again; trying all of that now.
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm hoping this is nothing, but....
I just ran "emerge gentoo-sources," as per the handbook, and according to the rest of this topic, I should be fine, but I'm getting some errors here:

Code:

FAILED to emerge sys-devel/bc-1.06.95, Log file:

>>> /var/tmp/portage etc etc...

*ERROR: sys-devel/bc-1.06.95::gentoo failed (compile phase0:
   econf failed

And it goes on for a little while.

Is this just a timestamp thing? I'm aware that portage gets regular updates and the files I'm using *are* from yesterday.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this just a timestamp thing? I'm aware that portage gets regular updates and the files I'm using *are* from yesterday.

This shouldn't be a problem. Sources should be just fine no matter when they were downloaded. The only catch is if your versions don't match and portage will catch that.

Actually, this bc thing is something to worry about. What you posted is actually not very helpful. It should tell you where the log file is. If you could please post it (or rather upload it to a pastbin site and post the url).

Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to copy the file over and paste it somewhere. For now, this is what sorta worries me from the output:

Code:

checking for a BSD-compatible install.... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
[b]checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables[/b]
see 'config.log' for more details.

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/bc-1.06.95/work/bc-1.06.95/config.log

So I'm assuming the ~~/bc-1.06.95/config.log is what they're talking about, but I'd have to paste that one in a minute or two. That's a lot to type out.
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, wait a minute.... lemme change what I said, I made a boo-boo.

It seems I had [unintentionally] ignored the handbook's own advice in not over-engineering the CFLAGS variable. I just removed "-ggdb" and "-frecord-gcc-switches" from CFLAGS, which I can't even recall *why* I would have put those in my cheat sheet, but anyway...

After getting rid of those, emerge suddenly worked. : /
So.... yeah. Let's pretend that didn't happen.
Crackerjackthe4th
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT::
Technically, this did solve the original problem I'd asked, so I'm going to mark this off as solved.
Thanks again, this has been really educational.

So emerging everything worked really well, and I think if I ever feel like doing this again it'll go really smoothly because of it.
I'm done with the Kernel configuration and....pretty much everything except getting a bootloader. Of course, as soon as I do that, I'm not sure how to describe it but code is just *flying* across the screen, and portage returns this message:

Code:
The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see package.use in portage man for more details)
# required by dev-libs/icu-52.1 [doc]
# required by dev-tex/bibtexu-3.71_p20120701
# required by blah blah blah...
>=app-doc/doxygen-1.8.5 dot

Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files....

I think I've read about this; is this where I would have to "unmask" the package? How would I go about doing that?

---> Or better yet, do I even *need* Grub? Because I've been intending to make use of the EFI I've got in my system here. Though the two guides on the wiki are a bit confusing, am I right in concluding that I wouldn't *need* a bootloader in this case?
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crackerjackthe4th wrote:
EDIT::
So emerging everything worked really well, and I think if I ever feel like doing this again it'll go really smoothly because of it.
I'm done with the Kernel configuration and....pretty much everything except getting a bootloader. Of course, as soon as I do that, I'm not sure how to describe it but code is just *flying* across the screen, and portage returns this message:

Code:
The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see package.use in portage man for more details)
# required by dev-libs/icu-52.1 [doc]
# required by dev-tex/bibtexu-3.71_p20120701
# required by blah blah blah...
>=app-doc/doxygen-1.8.5 dot

Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files....

The doc flag tends to pull in interlocking dependencies, which need some tinkering to fix. Since I don't see the point of a source-based distro without docs I generally spend time messing with the -doc flags in package.use until I get a clean emerge, but to start with you may be better off putting "USE=-doc" in /etc/portage/make.conf. (Or adding -doc to the current USE variable.) You still get the man pages for reference.

Not only does the doc flag pull in interlocking dependencies, but some of the packages needed, eg: texinfo, are huge; a gigabyte or so of downloads. Perhaps best avoided, at least initially.

Will
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: