ibm t21 kernel modules
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moescher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: ibm t21 kernel modules Reply with quote

hey folks...

i'm very new at the gentoo stuff...

i got a cheap "ibm thinkpad t21" and wanted to breath a little life in it...
i figured out, that only gentoo would be able to get a hardware 3d acceleration working...

i found http://jeremysands.com/?p=252 and it helped me so far...

but: what should my /etc/conf.d/modules look like?

can i just lsmod in chroot and copy every entry into my modules config file?
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's play a bit, almost everything in that blog note is also true for my X30

Now, modules: you can either load them manualy, and yes, you can lspci to see what you need there ( `lsmod | awk '{ print $1 }' | sort | uniq` might help)
You can also have udev/eudev automagicaly load needed modules for you and be done with it. Gentoo has udev by default right now.

So, thirst thing to do is download stage3 for x86 (my P3 runs i686) and follow regular installation manual. The true fun begins when you want to get GPU back to work. There are still kernel modules running dev-forsaken GPU (i810), but xorg doesn't support them anymore. intel-video-2.20.13 seems to only work with i915, and I can't make 2.19.0 compile at all (the oldes in portage tree). No idea if it supports i810, but i wanted to try it since runing in vesa mode sucks. 100% CPU load while moving a window. Well, newest drivers are worse, 100% CPU load and a window is floating slowly behind mouse pointer.

Anyway, what have you done so far in terms of bring the dead horse back to live? Perhaps we could actually get those toys run like they used to in last millenium :lol:

Oh, one hint on building gentoo for your old laptop: build gentoo first, using some other, much stronger PC. If you tried compiling everything on P3 you would grow old before it finnished. You can mount / over NFS, build binary packages, or use any other way to move the hard work related to building stuff to another machine.
moescher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...
For a short time i broke up the project and installed Vector Linux 7 (Mesa 7.10.2) but not happy with that... I tried to play a Movie, recorded from my Dreambox, but only green and grey artifacts... -.-' Lubuntu 14.04 was able to even stream those files, let's say, smooth in opposite to that...

Do I have to say udev to autoload missed modules or does he automated? (Gentoo automated?!? o.0)

Yesterday (and I guess later again) I had a running Terminal-only-i686-Gentoo with the config files from that site. I wannted to install Xorg-server but portage threw me some errors relating masked/unmasked-stuff i didn't understand. The "APPs"/libs from the package.mask where shown in the error message but with different versions...
Sorry I'm really noob at the Gentoo stuff... Linux not so much... But i really hope to get that granny walking again without crutches^^

Compiling on other hardware? I heard of it but... I got time... I hoped that it won't take more than 1-2 weeks to install Gentoo on it. I got a family and have to work and stuff like that ;) but yeah installing grub took me a half hour maybe a bit more. And my "workstation" is not so much powerfull. (AMD X2 2.61GHz @ 2 GB ram).
and first I have to install a Linux on it... :oops:
But I guess sooner or later I will have a look at this.
But I never got a compiling running on a "normal" Linux before...

Last but not least I wanna thank you for being willed to help an dump, little, no native english, gentoo noobish, no time and money having idiot =)

so far

edit: maybe this thread should be renamed and removed to some more beginners related forum... Sorry Mods... :'(
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building on a T23 took about 2:45 for Xorg-X11 and 16 hours for Gnome 2.x. I don't generally
updated a system once it's built - just re-install every year or so, and I have a bunch of scripts
to semi-automate the process and download all the files I'll need for a full build, including all
the various apps I've accumulated.

The T23 is a magic beast, but its graphics has finally put it out of contention for a modern Linux.
I'm not even sure that the video chip is capable of running Gnome 3.x, though I haven't tried
very hard. It was my main machine until last year, and I still miss it.

Will
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: