View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superstoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, so much for reviving old threads...

Konqueror is kind'a a dead project, I don't believe anybody works on that anymore, so if that is an issue - take over maintenance or move to another browser... Sorry.

About the syncing in general, when push comes to shove, the kernel has to solve this... See http://marc.info/?l=kde-devel&m=119263355617149&w=2
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstoned wrote:
Konqueror is kind'a a dead project, I don't believe anybody works on that anymore, so if that is an issue - take over maintenance or move to another browser... Sorry.

It's still a much better file manager than Dolphin. Much quicker, and midnight commander mode is lovely.

You can't have my Konqueror nor its profile button. Sorry ;-)
Quote:
About the syncing in general, when push comes to shove, the kernel has to solve this... See http://marc.info/?l=kde-devel&m=119263355617149&w=2

No, that's not true: he's right, you just use fsync or fdatasync (preferably for something like this) though he got the name of that muddled.

Using sync is just silly. (Weird esoteric cases notwithstanding.)

Whether it's needed for history is another question. But even if it is, you don't sync everything, just the file you've written. That's the point of the POSIX interfaces.
superstoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
superstoned wrote:

It's still a much better file manager than Dolphin. Much quicker, and midnight commander mode is lovely.

You can't have my Konqueror nor its profile button. Sorry ;-)

hehehe yeah, konqi was/is epic. I haven't used it in a long time but I still have fond memories. With the split screen functionality and locking you could do some weird shit! It would be darn awesome if somebody would pick it up again... Until then, Dolphin does very well for me and I think does the 99% usecase just fine, so - cool. Heck, loving the build in git support!

I do find it hard to believe konqi is faster, at least - a modern version hardly could be, as it shares its file management parts with Dolphin. Afaik :D

Quote:

No, that's not true: he's right, you just use fsync or fdatasync (preferably for something like this) though he got the name of that muddled.

Using sync is just silly. (Weird esoteric cases notwithstanding.)

Whether it's needed for history is another question. But even if it is, you don't sync everything, just the file you've written. That's the point of the POSIX interfaces.[/quote]
hmm, ok, I don't know the details. It might be worth pushing that patch (or an updated version) again, bringing us back to the "take over maintenance" point... I don't know if it is still maintained at all.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstoned wrote:
hmm, ok, I don't know the details. It might be worth pushing that patch (or an updated version) again, bringing us back to the "take over maintenance" point... I don't know if it is still maintained at all.

OFC it is, it's the base browser for the desktop.

It just so happens to be a much nicer file manager than Dolphin, ime. Each to their own ofc.

As to what they use with config files going forward in KF, no idea, though from what I read before, KConfigFile is still around.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: