Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved]Hosed my system (?) everything is read-only now.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_deaux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: [solved]Hosed my system (?) everything is read-only now. Reply with quote

After a couple of weeks of trial and error (mostly error) I finally got Gentoo, X, and Gnome 3.10.2 installed. While trying emerge firmware for my wireless card I somehow got myself into an environment where everything is read-only.

For instance, when I boot the system I am greeted with this:

This is (none).unknown_domain (Linux x86_64 3.12.21-gentoo-r1)

(none) login

I see a lot of read-only errors when the system tries to log events while booting and shutting down.

While I am proud of getting this far without asking for help, I just don't know how to search for this issue. I tried to boot from the DVD to reinstall but the system will not let me.

Any help would be appreciated.

System is a Lenovo T44s, thanks!

Last edited by john_deaux on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinstalling shouldn't be a solution. This behavior is never typical of how Gentoo behaves unless there is a major problem, either configuration or hardware.

First, lets get some more information.

Is /usr a separate partition? Did this update happen to include switching from openRC to systemd?

If no, then this may be more serous. It would probably mean your file system is damaged, which could mean your hard drive is dying. The first check is to run shutdown -rF now to force an fscheck and try to repair it. I am afraid this is the most likely cause. I had it happen to me on an old computer. I was emerging something then it wrote to a bad section in /var and then all hell broke loose.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
john_deaux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue solved!

I messed up by placing the following lines at the end of /etc/rc.conf instead of /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords.

=sys-firmware/iwl7260-ucode-23.214.9.0 ~amd64
=sys-firmware/iwl32160-bt-ucode-37.10.10-r1 ~amd64

I commented them out and now everything is peachy!

I also had some typo's in the above statements...

Last edited by john_deaux on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
john_deaux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Reinstalling shouldn't be a solution. This behavior is never typical of how Gentoo behaves unless there is a major problem, either configuration or hardware.

First, lets get some more information.

Is /usr a separate partition? Did this update happen to include switching from openRC to systemd?

If no, then this may be more serous. It would probably mean your file system is damaged, which could mean your hard drive is dying. The first check is to run shutdown -rF now to force an fscheck and try to repair it. I am afraid this is the most likely cause. I had it happen to me on an old computer. I was emerging something then it wrote to a bad section in /var and then all hell broke loose.

Thanks Doc., I just had to step away for a while and figure out what I did last.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: