Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pulseaudio: the other black sheep. Using it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use pulseaudio on your main workstation?
Yes, because of %&(#$ closed source Skype
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, it integrates well with Gnome or some other DE
30%
 30%  [ 16 ]
No, I use ALSA directly
63%
 63%  [ 33 ]
No, I use JACK
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
No, I use esound, nas, arts, or something else
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, I'm using OSS directly
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
My sound hardware doesn't work yet :(
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't want my sound hardware to work (I only admin servers)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm deaf, you insensitive clod!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 52

eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Pulseaudio: the other black sheep. Using it? Reply with quote

And it seems that along with systemd, pulseaudio gets flak for being crap.
On my boxes, oddly enough, pulseaudio goes with the systemd boxes (or rather, it seems to go well with Gnome. After considerable pain with wine + pulseaudio in the past, it actually seems to finally work now.)

And the xfce boxes... do fine without pulseaudio.

So... do you use Pulseaudio?

I figure poll will be less popular than the init system poll... but we'll see...
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulseaudio: the other black sheep. Using it? Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
And it seems that along with systemd, pulseaudio gets flak for being crap.
I don't know if I would go that far. Most of the flak I see it get is for being unnecessary. A solution in search of a problem (which generates problems due to its complexity.)

Anyway, I'm for using alsa directly because I don't need any of pulseaudio's features.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using oss4 for a number of years now, with different chips (different mb's) and it works fine.
So I don't use either alsa or pulseaudio.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know deaf have device to transform sounds to text/light/vibrations... ?
So they do use sound. Better change that not funny joke option.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
You know deaf have device to transform sounds to text/light/vibrations... ?
So they do use sound. Better change that not funny joke option.

That would be interesting if there is an ALSA sink for PA to vibration, text, light output. But I don't think any exist, care to elaborate?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think the device need any handling?
The device just need to "hear" sound.

You don't need to plug a baby to alsa to have a device vibrate when baby cry :)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the deaf is not listening to/watching a youtube video for baby cries either.

However what would be interesting is an alsa sink for speech-to-text... This would be an actual good use for pulseaudio as it could redirect it to the STT application.

Again I don't know if one exists.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r,

I'm sure one of our hearing impaired users will be along in a minute to "fill you in" :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone just listen a youtube video of a baby crying, so picture must be important too ; so deaf can also enjoy youtube video of baby crying.
I hope your next poll will be on lennart as you seems in poll mood :)

lol neddyseagoon
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, when the deaf is watching a youtube video, they couldn't care less about what was coming over the speakers, they are focusing on the video. Sound goes straight to /dev/null.

That is unless there is a STT application.

But yes, that would be interesting - For those hearing impaired, what audio system do you have installed on your computers? Also, what about games?
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, what about games?

I have disabled sound in WoW as they are simply annoying and give no information above whatever is on screen. (Yes, quite a few people were really, REALLY surprised it's possible to play without sound)
Unfortunately another game requires you to listen to radar's beep or you don't know when to dodge bullets. And some of those get you killed with a single hit. No way to play it without sound.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using oss4 for quite some time once I needed some form of mixing - its great
Some program a few years ago "forced" me to goto pulseAudio... it isn't that bad tbf, it could have been alot worse. As a pseudo-catch all to the shortcommings of alsa, yer sure
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
I have disabled sound in WoW as they are simply annoying and give no information above whatever is on screen. (Yes, quite a few people were really, REALLY surprised it's possible to play without sound)

Yes it's fortunate that WoW actually reports most events on the combat log which can be intercepted to display on the screen so technically you don't need sound indeed, but it can help as it helps reduce load on the eyes to watch for other things.

I guess for WoW and other MMORPGs there's a high likelyhood you also need to be coordinated through VoIP to your other teammates anyway, and that data tends to be more important. But for the hearing impaired that's still a problem...
mackal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of the yes options imply forced to use it, which I was not. I choose to use it.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I selected "Yes, it integrates well with Gnome or some other DE" (I use KDE in an installation using OpenRC), although I would not go so far as to say it integrates perfectly. For example, I have to disable the so-called PulseAudio 'glitch-free' mode (oh, the irony) or I cannot hear nor be heard via Skype.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
I selected "Yes, it integrates well with Gnome or some other DE" (I use KDE in an installation using OpenRC), although I would not go so far as to say it integrates perfectly. For example, I have to disable the so-called PulseAudio 'glitch-free' mode (oh, the irony) or I cannot hear nor be heard via Skype.

I don't use skype. But I also selected "Yes, it integrates with gnome blah blah blah...", but there was not the perfect option for me to choose, because I also use jack. I was not happy having to click the pulseaudio button, but it was the nearest thing for my situation.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess for WoW and other MMORPGs there's a high likelyhood you also need to be coordinated through VoIP to your other teammates anyway

I found addons more efficient in every case that can be covered. When you see yout reammate is stunned you react faster than when he sees he is stunned, he yells for help, you hear it, and then check your cooldowns for something you can use to save him. Ok, I don't say voice chat is always bad, it can help you learn new strategy or call something unexpected (howeveer if something unexpected happens you usualy die and have a lot of time to type it while running back), but if you depend on it you will always be too slow to go above average.
The thing I really miss in MMO is good camera control. Something that would not interfere with movement or abilities. Say, camera angle bound directly to joypad stick would propably do. Moviing screen with mouse pointer I need for panic heal in a good survival fight does not. I wonder how would it feel to play with mouse and joypad though.
Anyway, if you actually need sound in a game, it means GUI team screwed up :lol:
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe two years ago I installed pulseaudio on a system. It worked out of the box, tho never for more than 24 hours. After a few weeks I went back to alsa.

Sure alsa was a pain in the early days, however, I don't remember a single issue since before pulseaudio came along.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Yay, polls! \ö/

ALSA here (sometimes JACK, too).

I believe I might have briefly tested PulseAudio at some point a few years ago, but it didn't last for more than a few days, I think, if even that many. Guess I just don't feel like I have any use for it, and since Wine doesn't support it (I know there are ways), it's definitely not for me considering how much I play around with Wine (gaming).

I do some music, too, so audio is quite important for me (gaming, music, video).

Can't say I've had any issues with it, and most of the time, I've used things out-of-the-box. That is to say I never really went into configuring an .asoundrc, except for rather recently when I changed my set-up so that the PCI-card (Creative Labs SB X-Fi) is used for audio playback, and the motherboard's integrated (Intel HDA) device is used for recording.

This because I think Steam for some reason started hogging the audio device so that I was unable to record audio with ffmpeg.

The only issue I have always had is that, sometimes the audio gets corrupt-like and starts looping distorted/garbled sounds which change by any audio that is played then. It keeps going even if the audio is stopped, and I haven't figured out how to re-set it aside from terminating certain processes. It seems to usually happen when Wine is running some game(s), and a web-browser uses adobe-flash (could that thing just go away already?).

It is somewhat rare, however, and I haven't been able to reliably reproduce it. I suspect it might be specific to the device, and as such, I don't know why I haven't tried switching completely to the integrated one just to test (or at least I don't remember doing that).
kick6
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Quote:
Also, what about games?

Unfortunately another game requires you to listen to radar's beep or you don't know when to dodge bullets. And some of those get you killed with a single hit. No way to play it without sound.

Interesting, I like the audible feedback when my abilities hit vs miss...even though I have a combo point counter front and center on the screen.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to start using pulse because ALSA doesn't work with audio over Bluetooth. Pulse works but also comes with its own set of annoying bugs.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah... very true, forgot about pulse and bluetooth A2DP profile. You're right that is needed, think it has been always needed (were there other ways to use A2DP in Linux?)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: