portage output making threads difficult to read
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: portage output making threads difficult to read Reply with quote

hello ...

It seems that now the emul-* packages are being phased out and mutilib support is implimented with abi_* we are seeing a lot more threads with a string like the following in code blocks ...

Code:
"category/package:3[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?]"

This cause the thread (this one included) to have the width of the above string, and so fail to wrap to width of the browser window. Reading becomes extreamly difficult as you have to scroll right, then left, to follow whats written. Its always been a problem to some degree, but the problem seems to have grown exponentially since the above abi_* was introduced.

I can't think how it can be solved (other than via reporting it and having a mod break the string) ... but none the less too many threads right now have this issue and so I thought it worth pointing it out in the hope that something might be done.

best ... khay
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've fixed my amount of these during all these years.

Quite annoying, as you say. The problem with the forum is probably the same we have in some other areas: the fact that we are understaffed and that no one seems to have enough interest to work on this. Several discussions over the years have pointed out a few problems with the forum engine, but the fact that the code base has diverged from the stock phpbb2 codebase doesn't help much in attracting developers to do the porting/update to something else.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
The problem with the forum is probably the same we have in some other areas: the fact that we are understaffed and that no one seems to have enough interest to work on this. Several discussions over the years have pointed out a few problems with the forum engine, but the fact that the code base has diverged from the stock phpbb2 codebase doesn't help much in attracting developers to do the porting/update to something else.

Speaking as someone who's worked with phpbb2 code (to integrate it properly with postNuke + AD, many years ago) I've read that before, and it doesn't inspire confidence: if you want to get developers to work on it, you have to tell them what you did, not how.

What I mean is, outline exactly what functionality you want, and they'll build it. If it's "look at this codebase and tell us what we changed, then replicate it once you've worked it out, and can tell us why we did that" then it's really not very appealing. Apart from being a pig of a job, it implies you're going to get real issues with requirements down the line. Which isn't usually how Gentoo folks are; ime they normally know exactly what they want.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: