Issues Installing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlsmithjr56
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Issues Installing Reply with quote

Hello, I want to install gentoo but i cant get connected to the internet with wired or wireless. i am able to connect both wire and wireless with arch linux and many other linux distros without problems. i cant install with latest minimal image and i cant install with the live dvd eather. i only have lo listed when i do ifconfig. i tried connecting with lo but it dont work. i realy wanted to use gentoo but its impossible for me now. my network card for both wireless and wire connection is broadcom. on arch linux when i do ifconfig it comes up Broadcom card for wireless BCM43225 (rev 02) and Broadcom Eathernet is BCM57780 (rev 01).
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not much matter what livecd/usb you use to install gentoo as nothing from the install media is used in the installed system. The install media does need to have the same bitness as the planned install and support the chroot command. The gentoo minimal install cd emphasizes the minimal and does not include a sufficient complement of firmware and software to support most wireless NIC's and some wired NIC's. The unsupported would appear to include your equipment. Recommend using the System Rescue Cd .
Pearlseattle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I put the accent on DONAHUE's "It does not much matter what livecd/usb you use to install gentoo" - the initial commands mentioned in Gentoo's installation handbook (e.g. fdisk, mkfs.ext4, chroot) should be included as well in any other liveCD.

Therefore use e.g. your Arch liveCD to boot and perform all initial steps and once you'll reach the step in Gentoo's installation guide where you "chroot" then you'll be in a Gentoo environment.

Probably important in your case:
1)
when you compile the kernel triple-check that the modules for your network card model are selected.
2)
before performing the last steps mentioned in the handbook (exiting chroot and reboot) install the packages "sys-kernel/linux-firmware" and "sys-firmware/b43-firmware" with the commands:
emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware
echo "sys-firmware/b43-firmware >> /etc/portage/package.keywords" && emerge -pv sys-firmware/b43-firmware

This will install a lot of general firmware (1) and some more Broadcom firmware (2) which is currently not yet marked as being stable (could still work in your case - very specific to the HW-device). This firmware might be what your Gentoo minimal install CD is currently missing in order to make your network card work.
rlsmithjr56
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for helping me. I got it fixed, i had to download the new latest kernel from kernel.org the version 3.15. in went through the setup selecting all the broadcom module and everything i needed. after all that it detected my card and for both wire and wireless. :D
Pearlseattle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, so you've now become a Gentoorian => welcome :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: