Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
notageek's considerations over powertripping
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you un-ban me, please? I don't understand the terms of my ban. 1) The said post was made on Monday, while I was banned today and 2) wasn't out of ordinary for OTW and 3) wasn't warned about the said post.

Sure, in two weeks.
  1. If you really want that close of personal monitoring, it can be arranged.
  2. It was sufficient to have caught the attention of multiple individuals who are familiar with the tone of Off the Wall.
  3. Warnings are a courtesy, not a hard prerequisite to a ban.
-- desultory

notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sure, in two weeks.
  1. If you really want that close of personal monitoring, it can be arranged.
  2. It was sufficient to have caught the attention of multiple individuals who are familiar with the tone of Off the Wall.
  3. Warnings are a courtesy, not a hard prerequisite to a ban.
-- desultory

Multiple individuals? I didn't see any report on this thread against me, you're arbitrarily acting on your own and you're not familiar with OTW at-all.

I'd prefer you reverse this unjustified ban as there's no basis for it to be in the first place because I'm still finding it hard to find the reason you banned me. The only plausible one is that you're a powertripping mod.

Last edited by notageek on Sat May 24, 2014 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- Arbitrarily split from the report thread by aCOSwt -- 2014/05/24--

BTW, If "Warnings are a courtesy", justifying is : supererogation!

FYI, there are many ways to bring a thread to the attention of a moderator or site admin.
Only those actually "familiar OTW" are aware of them, I presume. General Guidelines for Off The Wall

Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
-- Arbitrarily split from the report thread by aCOSwt -- 2014/05/24--

BTW, If "Warnings are a courtesy", justifying is : supererogation!

FYI, there are many ways to bring a thread to the attention of a moderator or site admin.u
Only those actually "familiar OTW" are aware of them, I presume. General Guidelines for Off The Wall
They make just about anybody moderator these days. You're unfit to be a moderator on account of being incoherent in your posting. At the very least, you'd expect a moderator to have the basic grasp of the language of the forum he's supposed to be moderating.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're unwilling to extend courtesy, then don't expect to get any in return. The ban is frivolous and arbitrary therefore it should be reversed immediately.

Nobody reported me on the threads that were supposed to be used for the said purpose. SMS, phone call or going to the house of the mod to complain about a poster and the mod taking action on it betrays bias and prejudice. Therefore unjust.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: aCOSwt
Reason: This user is unfit to be a moderator of OTW because he has shown to be biased, lacks grasp of the English language and generally annoying. He's free to be a moderator of the technical forums if he feels he's capable of doing so but so far as moderating a forum, he's done a very poor job.

---For the record, notageek's considerations over powertripping was split from the report thread. Not from OTW.--- aCOSwt -- 2014/05/24 --
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a massive overreaction. It is VERY clear from the thread that they weren't being aggressive with each other and were just having a laugh. Also it is very clear that neither person meant what they said and neither was offended.

Banning preemptively like this is grossly unfair especially when the rules for OTW say that you should have a "thick skin".

This is the problem with other mods/admins not being able to undo bans, if the original ban-er refuses to acknowledge on a thread like this it is impossible to reason with the banning
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts McCokey wrote:
I think this is a massive overreaction. It is VERY clear from the thread that they weren't being aggressive with each other and were just having a laugh. Also it is very clear that neither person meant what they said and neither was offended.

They might not have been but others clearly were; and questioning the veracity of a moderator who tells you "several people raised this" has got to be the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time.
Quote:
Banning preemptively like this is grossly unfair especially when the rules for OTW say that you should have a "thick skin".

No it's not: see the guidelines for why it's not.

Note also that reports may be in the form of PMs, making the protestations about "reports" null and void.
Quote:
This is the problem with other mods/admins not being able to undo bans, if the original ban-er refuses to acknowledge on a thread like this it is impossible to reason with the banning

From where I'm sitting, they did acknowledge, were accused of lying, and then another moderator stepped in, which quite often happens eg on irc. How are you supposed to "reason" with someone who refuses to believe you about simple facts to do with your job? The basis for communication doesn't really exist.

To my mind, if you really can't do without OTW for 2 weeks, that's an indication you probably need to take some time out, and get reacquainted with the sun, the sky and the grass.

IOW without context, I'd infer that you probably were out of line, simply based on the fact that you can't do without an off-topic forum for a couple of weeks. The latter is an indication of burnout, ime; definitely a loss of perspective.

Rounding on the other moderator (whose language I admit isn't Austen) reinforces that perception of someone losing perspective.
So: get a grip.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Butts McCokey wrote:

They might not have been but others clearly were; and questioning the veracity of a moderator who tells you "several people raised this" has got to be the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time.
It is nothing to do with others. If I say "nigger" that may offend people but unless I direct it at someone that is no need to ban someone. Also if I direct it at a friend who knows I am joking there is no need to ban either because it's good-hearted banter
steveL wrote:
Quote:

No it's not: see the guidelines for why it's not.

Note also that reports may be in the form of PMs, making the protestations about "reports" null and void.
The guidelines are, at best, contradictory in this circumstance. And I couldn't care where the reports were made either.
steveL wrote:
Quote:

From where I'm sitting, they did acknowledge, were accused of lying, and then another moderator stepped in, which quite often happens eg on irc. How are you supposed to "reason" with someone who refuses to believe you about simple facts to do with your job? The basis for communication doesn't really exist.

To my mind, if you really can't do without OTW for 2 weeks, that's an indication you probably need to take some time out, and get reacquainted with the sun, the sky and the grass.

IOW without context, I'd infer that you probably were out of line, simply based on the fact that you can't do without an off-topic forum for a couple of weeks. The latter is an indication of burnout, ime; definitely a loss of perspective.

Rounding on the other moderator (whose language I admit isn't Austen) reinforces that perception of someone losing perspective.
So: get a grip.
Don't be so pompous and tell me to get a grip. Open your eyes, I wasn't one of the people that were banned :roll: I'm just sticking up for them both because I think they have been wronged.

I don't get on particularly well with either person but I can see quite clearly what has gone on here and it is the most common of mistakes by mods/admins: a mod/admin didn't realise they were having a joke or English isn't their first language and they then banned. Then the only person who can rescind it is the person doing the banning.

I would also like to point out that the majority of bannings are for good reason, just not this one.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts McCokey wrote:
It is nothing to do with others. If I say "nigger" that may offend people but unless I direct it at someone that is no need to ban someone. Also if I direct it at a friend who knows I am joking there is no need to ban either because it's good-hearted banter

Yes there most definitely is. I refuse to go on with this discussion, as I find you incredibly offensive: ask a moderator to deal with you as I never will.

It's sad that you can't even see the racism, but not so sad that I have any sympathy for you whatsoever.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Butts McCokey wrote:

Yes there most definitely is. I refuse to go on with this discussion, as I find you incredibly offensive: ask a moderator to deal with you as I never will.

It's sad that you can't even see the racism, but not so sad that I have any sympathy for you whatsoever.
Well I'm ever so sorry that you are offended by a word that I have used only to highlight a point of view.

It is people like you that I find offensive, it's a faux politically correct stance. You have no problem when using "chink", "limey", "cheese eating surrender monkey" or "cracker" but you are up in arms when anyone uses "nigger". If I were you I'd be a little more introspective and re-evaluate your stance to include either all racial epithets or none.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Can you un-ban me, please?
You have successfully doubled the length of your ban from Off the Wall, just a couple of days before it would have been lifted.

It should be obvious, even without being explicitly mentioned, that creating a new account to get around a ban is not welcome.

Edit: and redoubled.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL ... oh and *snap*
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
notageek wrote:
Can you un-ban me, please?
You have successfully doubled the length of your ban from Off the Wall, just a couple of days before it would have been lifted.

It should be obvious, even without being explicitly mentioned, that creating a new account to get around a ban is not welcome.

Edit: and redoubled.
WTF? It wasn't me.

Anyone who knows me, would tell you that.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit, can you please help me here?
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really disappointing. I don't understand why anyone would target an individual like this. There are far worse things spoken on OTW and yet here I am.

It is really stupid to be a racist on the Internet. You don't even know if I'm using deodorant or I speak in a funny accent. Shameful.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's minotaur's another accout: https://forums.gentoo.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=223049

And snapL's: https://forums.gentoo.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=153873
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for you, notageek.

This was one of the most silly reasons for a ban I have seen.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the ban wasn't for the original offense (whatever was posted and edited),
but more about arguing with the mods and continuing to bad mouth at least one of them.

I could be wrong, I've been that once or twice before :lol:

Note: This is just a guess, and I haven't gone back and re-read all that was posted by him in the interchange.
Nor am I saying it was right or wrong.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
I feel for you, notageek.

This was one of the most silly reasons for a ban I have seen.
++
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I think that the ban wasn't for the original offense (whatever was posted and edited),
but more about arguing with the mods and continuing to bad mouth at least one of them.

It's probably the latter part that caused it then, because there's people outside OTW who can get away with murder doing just the former for months on end.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying something once and walking off is one thing, but I think most could see where that particular interchange quotee by the mod was heading.

Yes, OTW has lax rules, though if one really wants to just insult people and get into those types of "arguments" there are other forums that allow that type thing, where one can be creative as all getout. Not my cup of tea but to each his own. IIRC there was another thread where it got pretty nasty about lifestyle preferences, and perhaps they didn't want it to go on any further here. You'd have to ask the mod, I would suggest doing it by PM vs trying to air it in public, but feel free to do whatever you wish.

Again, I'm not taking sides, I'm trying to give a balanced view of possibilities.

Edit to add: Given the latest link by notageek, I think it was a cumulative series of running insults in a particular vein over several threads.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thread was nearly a week old before I was banned.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how banning works, perhaps it takes a consensus amongst admins.
As I said if you were really interested in seeing why you would PM desultry.

I seriously doubt that whining about it on the forum in a thread will have much effect.

Later, and good luck
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: