bluez 4, bluez 5, pulseaudio, bluetooth headset, no micropho
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: bluez 4, bluez 5, pulseaudio, bluetooth headset, no micropho Reply with quote

Hi,

I use bluedevil and bluez 5. I have a Plantronics Voyager Legend headset. It works with pulseaudio and can have audio streamed to it just fine, however, the microphone does not work. This is a clearly documented issue, that bluez5 does not support this.

I decided to emerge bluez 4, but bluedevil stopped working altogether. I emerged blueman, and had more success - I could connect to the plantronics bluetooth headset, I could connect in headset mode instead of A2DP mode! Excellent.

However, on the pulseaudio configuration page, my headset is not listed like it is when bluez 5 is installed.

is there a way to get bluez 4 working with pulseaudio? I feel like I am so close to having a skype conversation without yelling into my laptop's terrible microphone.. but so far at the same time!
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
with Bluez 5, the use of Pulseaudio is mandatory for Bluetooth audio because Alsa do not support Bluez 5. So, in your $HOME directory, an .asoundrc file like
Code:
pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

will redirect all applications who use Alsa to Pulseaudio. With Bluez 5, my headsets are detected and usable without any change of the default Pulseaudio configuration.

I have not try to use the microphone. In the /etc/pulse directory, you can specify an Alsa sink device and an Alsa source device. If you define a Bluetooth entry to your headsets in /etc/asound.conf, you can use it as a device in /etc/pulse/default.pa for
Code:
load-module module-alsa-source device=
load-module module-alsa-sink device=

It's a way to try to resolv your undetected Bluetooth microphone. You need to use the bluetoothctl command subshell to communicate with Bluetooth remote devices or the Bluetooth utility of the Gnome Control Center who support Bluez 5. With the Bluetooth and Sound utilities of the Gnome Control Center you can replace Bluetoothctl and Pavucontrol.

On Debian, I have not been able to make Pulsaudio work with Bluez 4. I have not work on it. Hopefully, Alsa and Blueman support Bluez 4. I have not been able to make Dmix work with Bluetooth. I hope my information is up to date. Make a Web search for better information and solutions.
thender
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing I did with bluez5 got me a working microphone. I think they broke it just for fun.

At this time, I have gotten bluez 4 working perfectly with pulseaudio! It works, the headset shows up in pavucontrol, and it sees incoming audio.

My only issue is I must manage all functions from the command line, which is a tad inconvenient. bluedevil and blueman do not seem to work when I have bluez 4 installed. bluedevil says no adapters detected, and blueman just doesn't start.

Code:
localhost Downloads # blueman-applet
Loading configuration plugins
blueman-applet version 1.23 starting
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/blueman-applet", line 125, in <module>
    BluemanApplet()
  File "/usr/bin/blueman-applet", line 64, in __init__
    self.DbusSvc = DbusService("org.blueman.Applet", "/")
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/blueman/main/DbusService.py", line 33, in __init__
    self.bus = bus()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 211, in __new__
    mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 100, in __new__
    bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 122, in __new__
    bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think bluedevil-2.* is designed to work only with bluez-5.*, so you would need to downgrade to bluedevil-1.3.2 if you've downgraded to bluez-4.*.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
yashavanth_ks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Android bluez Reply with quote

Hi,

I am using bluez 5.30 in android Kitkat 4.4.2, It's working fine and i am getting all the profiles except spp. if i try to browse spp it shows an error like "No SDP records found". Can anyone please help me to solve this problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: