Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
v3tv, xawtv, a Voodoo3500 TV and no sound.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splooge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: v3tv, xawtv, a Voodoo3500 TV and no sound. Reply with quote

I'm having issues watching TV on my Gentoo box. (1.4)

I have compiled the kernel with v4l support, i2c, got the latest drivers from v3tv.sourceforge.net, compiled them and inserted them into the kernel (insmod) correctly.

I have my sound setup correctly also; I can play .wav's with aplay. I can 'cat test.wav > /dev/dsp' and get favorable results.

I emerged xawtv, and after fiddling with the country/cable system, I got it to work for video, but there was never any sound, not even any 'snow' -type sound. The software package (as well as the sound card via the mixer) is unmuted and volume is all the way up. I've tried xawtv -C /dev/dsp and it still didn't work.

Any clue as to why I wouldn't be hearing any sound?

Thanks!
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know this was an issue with my Voodoo3 3500 TV AGP back when I first got it and was using Win98, you have to connect the audio-cable from your 3500 to your sound card. If you have done that you also need to be sure that the correct 'source' is also unmuted and the volume is reasonable for the type of connection you used to your soundcard (TAD, AUX, CD-IN). If you are absolutely sure that both of those things are in tact then you are into software related issues where I am not much help. I just wanted to be sure and give what little help I could, even if just to make sure you have checked things like this. Sorry if this seems just way too basic, I don't doubt your ability, I just need a few reminders on the little stuff sometimes too--so I try to do the same for others.

:)

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
splooge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

It's been so long since i've opened up this box (using it as my firewall) that I totally forgot I needed a patch audio cable from the V3 to the soundcard. ;p
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: