View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roelof
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: cinnamon 2.2 Reply with quote

Hello

Does anyone know if Cinnamon 2.2 is avaible in Gentoo.
And if so, can I have this without systemd?

Roelof
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Cinnamon 2.2 seems not to be available.
There's Cinnamon 2.0.12 in the sabayon overlay.
As far as I know, you can have Cinnamon without sysd.
Now it's time for the harvest
roelof
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Maybe I can join the gnome team as a apprentacice and help them with cinnamon.

Roelof
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since cinnamon uses gnome 3, I would think that you would need systemd as gnome 3 requires it.

I suppose it depends on exactly how much of the gnome tree you are building.
PhaytalError
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Since cinnamon uses gnome 3, I would think that you would need systemd as gnome 3 requires it.

As of Cinnamon 2, it doesn't really "require" anything regarding Gnome 3 anymore. At least that was the Cinnamon teams plan anyway.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhaytalError wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:

As of Cinnamon 2, it doesn't really "require" anything regarding Gnome 3 anymore. At least that was the Cinnamon teams plan anyway.

That could be, I don't keep up with it.
I just know that it was originally a different shell on top of gnome 3.
If they've managed to separate it from the base gnome 3 more power to them.
shadywack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where they're presently at:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=487678

You can go here

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7527566.html

This gives you a really good guide to try out Cinnamon 2.0 from the Sabayon overlay.

As far as I know, the devs just haven't gotten around to it yet as they're probably bogged down on Gnome 3.12 stuff in the gnome overlay.

Given that Cinnamon 2.2 depends on gtk 3.10, however, this looks like a great time to look into it if any of the devs are interested in pursuing that work. As always, I appreciate the devs and their time. If it takes a while to get to Cinnamon it's not a big deal, but there are a few of us who would love to try it out as it seems to be getting more proliferated :)

[edit]
If any devs are also doing any Gentoo work for Cinnamon in an overlay or are considering an overlay I would be happy to try out any ebuilds there and help with any bugs.
shadywack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI for anyone still tracking this,

Sabayon has added Cinnamon 2.2 into their gentoo overlay.

http://gpo.zugaina.org/gnome-extra/cinnamon/ChangeLog
shadywack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tetromino :D

https://packages.gentoo.org/category/gnome-extra
tetromino
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinnamon 2.2 is now in portage and unmasked. Can certainly be installed in parallel with gnome-3.10. Can also work without gnome. I am not quite sure about compatibility with gnome-3.12 (you might run into a few issues with the >=upower-0.99 upgrade). If you find bugs, please report them in bugzilla.
shadywack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetromino wrote:
Cinnamon 2.2 is now in portage and unmasked. Can certainly be installed in parallel with gnome-3.10. Can also work without gnome. I am not quite sure about compatibility with gnome-3.12 (you might run into a few issues with the >=upower-0.99 upgrade). If you find bugs, please report them in bugzilla.

Thanks again!

:D

I saw that bug update, I want you to know that I appreciate it greatly. Building it out now alongside gnome 3.10. If I run into anything I'll file it in the bug system.

[edit]
Built with no problems. Very nice!

This is my favorite UI thus far.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 32 bit Gentoo ~x86 non-systemd box, i used to run Gnome and Cinnamon, but had to remove them both when gnome required systemd (too much trouble to mess with the complications of trying to keep Cinnamon without gnome/systemd, as my main DE has always been KDE).

However, I did like to keep Cinnamon, and do have a Mint partition on this box, among several other distros.

Was pleasantly surprised to see Cinnamon reappear in today's emerge -uDN @ world (along with kde-4.13.1).

Code:
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/cinnamon-desktop-2.2.1:0/4  USE="introspection -debug" 543 kB

Apparently, this means that on Gentoo Cinnamon is basically divorced from both gnome and systemd, and only needs gtk+-3.10.x, as no gnome stuff was being pulled in by Cinnamon.

Correct?

If so, wonderful! Cinnamon is a great DE I always liked to keep around, but didn't want to move all my systems to systemd, plus I'm not currently a big Gnome fan. Many Thanks to the Devs! :D
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... My emerge -uDN @world didn't work for Cinnamon, so i did it afterwards, and got the following, which obviously is more correct, with few gnome packages.

However, can i get rid of the bluetooth USE flag as I don't use any such devices on this system?

Code:
localhost linux-3.14.4-gentoo # emerge cinnamon -pv

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/libdaemon-0.14-r1  USE="-doc -examples -static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-auth/nss-myhostname-0.3  0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] net-misc/mobile-broadband-provider-info-20120614  0 kB
[ebuild  NS    ] app-text/docbook-sgml-dtd-4.1-r3:4.1 [3.0-r3:3.0] 0 kB
[ebuild  NS    ] app-text/docbook-sgml-dtd-4.0-r3:4.0 [3.0-r3:3.0] 0 kB
[ebuild  NS    ] app-text/docbook-sgml-dtd-3.1-r3:3.1 [3.0-r3:3.0] 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-perl/SGMLSpm-1.03-r7  0 kB
[ebuild  NS    ] media-libs/lcms-1.19-r1:0 [2.6:2] USE="jpeg tiff zlib -python -static-libs" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 (-python2_6) -python3_2 -python3_4" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/pypam-0.5.0-r2  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 (-python2_6)" 103 kB
[ebuild  NS    ] dev-lang/spidermonkey-1.8.5-r4:0/mozjs185 [17.0.0-r3:17] USE="-debug -minimal -static-libs {-test}" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/polib-1.0.4  USE="-doc" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 (-python2_6) -python3_2 -python3_4" 149 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/pexpect-3.2  USE="-doc -examples" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 (-python2_6) -python3_2 -python3_4" 128 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/pyinotify-0.9.4-r1  USE="-examples" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 -pypy (-python2_6) -python3_2" 59 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/pillow-2.4.0  USE="jpeg lcms tiff truetype zlib -doc -examples -jpeg2k -scanner {-test} -tk -webp" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 -pypy -python3_2 -python3_4" 6,368 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/lxml-3.3.5  USE="threads -beautifulsoup3 -doc -examples" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 -python3_2 -python3_4" 3,387 kB
[ebuild  N     ] virtual/python-imaging-2  USE="jpeg -tk" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 -pypy (-python2_6) -python3_2 -python3_4" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/cinnamon-menus-2.2.0  USE="introspection -debug" 530 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-text/docbook-xml-simple-dtd-1.0-r2:1.0  0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-text/docbook-xml-simple-dtd-4.1.2.4-r3  0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/libgusb-0.1.6  USE="introspection -static-libs -vala" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-text/docbook-sgml-utils-0.6.14-r1  USE="-jadetex" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/cjs-2.2.0  USE="-examples {-test}" 348 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/pyatspi-2.10.0  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3 -python3_2" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] net-wireless/gnome-bluetooth-3.10.0:2/12  USE="introspection -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-accessibility/caribou-0.4.13  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/gnome-python-base-2.28.1:2  0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/nemo-2.2.1  USE="exif introspection xmp (-packagekit) {-test} -tracker" 1,312 kB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-misc/colord-1.2.0:0/2  USE="gusb introspection udev -examples -extra-print-profiles -scanner -systemd -vala" 1,129 kB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.37  USE="introspection -doc (-selinux) -systemd" 355 kB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/cinnamon-screensaver-2.2.3  USE="pam -debug -doc -systemd" 139 kB
[ebuild  N     ] net-print/cups-pk-helper-0.2.4-r1  0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/gconf-python-2.28.1:2  USE="-examples" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/colord-gtk-0.1.25:0/1  USE="introspection -doc -vala" 265 kB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/cinnamon-settings-daemon-2.2.2-r1  USE="colord cups -debug -smartcard -systemd" INPUT_DEVICES="-wacom" 2,924 kB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/cinnamon-session-2.2.0  USE="-debug -doc -gconf -ipv6 -systemd" 880 kB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/gnome-color-manager-3.10.1  USE="-clutter (-packagekit) -raw" 2,551 kB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/nm-applet-0.9.8.8-r2  USE="bluetooth introspection -gconf -modemmanager" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] app-admin/openrc-settingsd-1.0.1  USE="-systemd" 0 kB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/cinnamon-control-center-2.2.5  USE="colord cups -debug -socialweb" INPUT_DEVICES="-wacom" 4,741 kB
[ebuild  N     ] net-wireless/cinnamon-bluetooth-3.8.4  USE="-debug" 1,638 kB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-extra/cinnamon-2.2.6  USE="bluetooth networkmanager" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 2,593 kB

Total: 41 packages (36 new, 5 in new slots), Size of downloads: 29,590 kB

Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
However, can i get rid of the bluetooth USE flag as I don't use any such devices on this system?
Right at the bottom:
Code:
gnome-extra/cinnamon-2.2.6  USE="bluetooth networkmanager"
So you might add
Code:
gnome-extra/cinnamon -bluetooth
to /etc/portage/package.use, or better add "-bluetooth" to the USE variable in /etc/portage/make.conf if you never use it anyway.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be something wrong with the ebuilds:
Code:
emerge --ask --tree gnome-extra/cinnamon

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies  ... ... done!
[ebuild  N    ~] gnome-extra/cinnamon-2.2.6  USE="bluetooth -networkmanager" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 2,728 kB
[ebuild  N    ~]  net-wireless/cinnamon-bluetooth-3.8.4  USE="-debug" 1,638 kB
[ebuild  N    ~]   gnome-extra/cinnamon-control-center-2.2.5  USE="colord cups -debug -socialweb" INPUT_DEVICES="-wacom" 4,741 kB
[ebuild  N     ]    app-admin/openrc-settingsd-1.0.1  USE="-systemd" 238 kB
[ebuild  N     ]    gnome-extra/nm-applet-0.9.8.8-r2  USE="bluetooth -gconf -introspection -modemmanager" 1,195 kB
[ebuild  N     ]  gnome-extra/nemo-1.8.5  USE="exif -introspection (-packagekit) {-test} -tracker -xmp" 3,717 kB
[ebuild  N     ]   gnome-base/gnome-panel-3.8.0-r1  USE="-eds -introspection -networkmanager" 2,339 kB
[ebuild  N     ]    dev-libs/libgweather-3.10.2:2/3-6  USE="-glade -introspection -vala" 3,878 kB
[nomerge       ] gnome-extra/nm-applet-0.9.8.8-r2  USE="bluetooth -gconf -introspection -modemmanager"
[ebuild  N     ]  net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8.8  USE="-avahi bluetooth -connection-sharing consolekit -dhclient dhcpcd -gnutls -introspection modemma
So although I actively disable networkmanager USE flag, I do not use it, the (then useless) nm-applet is pulled in, which pulls in networkmanager.

So no Cinnamon for me. That wretched networkmanager installs udev-rules that autostart it on every boot. No, thanks.

And although I have "-pulseaudio" in my make.conf USE flags, and not re-activated in package.use, I see this in the tree:
Code:
[nomerge       ] gnome-extra/cinnamon-2.2.6  USE="bluetooth -networkmanager" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[nomerge       ]  gnome-extra/cinnamon-settings-daemon-2.2.2-r1  USE="colord cups -debug -smartcard -systemd" INPUT_DEVICES="-wacom"
[nomerge       ]   media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r1  USE="X alsa asyncns -avahi bluetooth caps dbus -doc -equalizer gdbm glib -gnome -gtk -ipv6 -jack -libsamplerate -lirc (-neon) orc (-oss) qt4 -realtime ssl (-system-wide) -systemd tcpd {-test} udev webrtc-aec -xen" ABI_X86="-32 (64) (-x32)"
[ebuild  N     ]    media-plugins/alsa-plugins-1.0.27-r1  USE="-debug -ffmpeg -jack -libsamplerate pulseaudio -speex" 356 kB
[ebuild  N     ]     media-sound/pulseaudio-5.0-r1  USE="X alsa asyncns -avahi bluetooth caps dbus -doc -equalizer gdbm glib -gnome -gtk -ipv6 -jack -libsamplerate -lirc (-neon) orc (-oss) qt4 -realtime ssl (-system-wide) -systemd tcpd {-test} udev webrtc-aec -xen" ABI_X86="-32 (64) (-x32)" 1,422 kB
Oh, hell, nope, nope, nope!

I just tried with an explicit
Code:
USE="-pulseaudio" emerge --ask --tree gnome-extra/cinnamon
with the same result. What?

I then added it to package.use:
Code:
 ~ # grep alsa-plugins /etc/portage/package.use
media-plugins/alsa-plugins ffmpeg -jack libsamplerate -pulseaudio -speex
Still, something forces USE="pulseaudio" on alsa-plugins.

No idea what's going on.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure,
Thanks for the reply, however I knew how to get rid of the flag, I was asking CAN I get rid of it without other problems creeping in. IIRC, bluetooth was or is a dep of a few other packages.

All the packages I posted above emerged OK, Cinnamon shows up in KDM, but the normal GUI desktop immediately crashes at startup, but I can open a gnome-terminal and issue a halt command to reboot and get back to a KDM login screen. Emerge didn't complain of any missing deps, USE flags, etc.

I haven't investigated much as yet, but it appears Cinnamon might be actually running, but no DE is visible.

I share your feelings about networkmanager (at least on Gentoo). I've used wpa_supplicant GUI for years now with no problems.

Currently I'm installing Cinnamon on another identical Gentoo install on this box, but it uses systemd (wanted to get some systemd experience with gentoo). If my booting to Cinnamon problems don't appear, I'll suspect and look for a difference is this supposedly identical Gentoo system that uses systemd instead of RC. Either way, I'll post back.

Are you by chance on systemd, and does your Cinnamon DE actually boot OK, notwithstanding the audio complications?

UPDATE: OK- It's a little better on the systemd Gentoo partition. Cinnamon crashes when i login, but goes into "fallback mode" if you select "no restart cinnamon" in the dialog box (Black screen, with 7 icons, only one is normal (Chromium, which is functional), the others (generic white icons) all crash on trying to open them, except Leafpad, which works.

The Chromium window works normally, wireless is up, but the browser window is frozen in place on the black desktop. No panel, or menus, but right-click seems to have a few functions like created new doc or folder, but no application menus.

Any clues as to my problems, or what causes cinnamon to only login to fallback mode? I'm obviously not that experienced with Cinnamon.
binbash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
Yamakuzure,

Any clues as to my problems, or what causes cinnamon to only login to fallback mode? I'm obviously not that experienced with Cinnamon.

I had the same problem. I was running cinnamon-2.2.6 just fine then I upgraded to cinnamon-2.2.9 and it crashed to fallback mode. I think one of the new ebuilds is missing a dependency. "gnome-themes" Probably muffin-2.2.3 . Anyway try installing "gnome-themes" and see if it works. It did for me ;)
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

binbash,
Thanks much for the tip! That points me in the right direction, and I have a partially functioning Cinnamon DE.

However, it still seems to be missing a few things, like still having a black desktop background. Some default themes are installed, but will not display. I now have a menu, and can open most apps, but some Cinnamon related things don't seem to be fully functional. Desktop icons are still generic, and control-center doesn't have full functions. All the kde apps and other non-cinnamon relater stuff open and work normally.

I'm looking at the cinnamon ebuild to see if I'm missing deps, but so far i have the few that I've looked at. Here's a list of my gnome-extra packages:
Code:
gentoo-audio wrc # qlist -IC gnome-extra/*
gnome-extra/cinnamon
gnome-extra/cinnamon-control-center
gnome-extra/cinnamon-desktop
gnome-extra/cinnamon-menus
gnome-extra/cinnamon-screensaver
gnome-extra/cinnamon-session
gnome-extra/cinnamon-settings-daemon
gnome-extra/cinnamon-translations
gnome-extra/cjs
gnome-extra/gnome-audio
gnome-extra/gnome-color-manager
gnome-extra/gnome-screensaver
gnome-extra/nemo
gnome-extra/nm-applet
gnome-extra/polkit-gnome
gnome-extra/yelp-xsl
gnome-extra/zenity
gentoo-audio wrc # 

Any ideas on what I still might be missing? Maybe I should just go ahead and install gnome. Really don't want to, but it might be easier than sorting out one-by-one all the cinnamon ebuild deps listed.
binbash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
binbash,
Thanks much for the tip! That points me in the right direction, and I have a partially functioning Cinnamon DE.

However, it still seems to be missing a few things, like still having a black desktop background. Some default themes are installed, but will not display. I now have a menu, and can open most apps, but some Cinnamon related things don't seem to be fully functional. Desktop icons are still generic, and control-center doesn't have full functions. All the kde apps and other non-cinnamon relater stuff open and work normally.

I'm looking at the cinnamon ebuild to see if I'm missing deps, but so far i have the few that I've looked at. Here's a list of my gnome-extra packages:
Code:
gentoo-audio wrc # qlist -IC gnome-extra/*
gnome-extra/cinnamon
gnome-extra/cinnamon-control-center
gnome-extra/cinnamon-desktop
gnome-extra/cinnamon-menus
gnome-extra/cinnamon-screensaver
gnome-extra/cinnamon-session
gnome-extra/cinnamon-settings-daemon
gnome-extra/cinnamon-translations
gnome-extra/cjs
gnome-extra/gnome-audio
gnome-extra/gnome-color-manager
gnome-extra/gnome-screensaver
gnome-extra/nemo
gnome-extra/nm-applet
gnome-extra/polkit-gnome
gnome-extra/yelp-xsl
gnome-extra/zenity
gentoo-audio wrc # 

Any ideas on what I still might be missing? Maybe I should just go ahead and install gnome. Really don't want to, but it might be easier than sorting out one-by-one all the cinnamon ebuild deps listed.

That looks ok. I don't have gnome-audio or gnome-screensaver but I have the rest. When I first installed cinnamon on gentoo it wasn't in portage so I had to create a local overlay and hack some ebuild's. cinnamon was designed for linux mint so some things need tweaking or don't work on gentoo. I think it works better if you install a DM and login with that. I use gdm-2.20.11-r1 as I have most of gnome-3.8 masked, I don't use systemd. I use a theme called cinnamon but don't know where I got it. I don't use control-center but if you go into cinnamon-settings you can download themes from there. Also if you open "cinnamon-settings" go to hardware and click "system info" it just open's a blank window.
That's because linux mint puts things in a different place then gentoo but you can edit "/usr/lib/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_info.py" and change both instances of "lspci"
to "/usr/sbin/lspci" save it and log out of cinnamon and back in then system info will work.

I don't know how much tweaking gnome needs as i haven't used it for a while :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: