Brother dcp/mfc-XXXX
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
developer1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Brother dcp/mfc-XXXX Reply with quote

Gentoo does not support Brother products at all. Why? have no idea. No workaround for this. Just dont work and thats it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 different Brother printers here, 1 Canon, 2 Epson, everything's working just fine, no hacking involved at all, foomatic-db does the trick. :)

Also, scanner did just work - no configuration necessary at all, simply activated 'scanner' USE flag and selected my scanner brand in /etc/make.conf, all the dependencies were pulled in automatically as well as the correct scan tool for my DE. Awesome!
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Lexmark, One QMC magiColor and a Minolta bizhub, all work just fine. Foomatic rules! :lol: But his DCP-330C is not supported. What a shame. Someones gotta write an ebuild to install the Brother RPMs for it. ;)
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I helped someone install the printer driver for a Brother DCP-7065DN a couple of years ago, using a local overlay. The same concept could be used to install the printer driver for a Brother DCP-330C, although I don't have one so cannot test the procedure given below. Anyway, perhaps someone with a DCP-330C could try it and adjust it if necessary. One of the problems is that Brother changes their links frequently. :roll:

The following instructions will (hopefully) install the packages dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1 and dcp330clpr-1.0.1 from a Portage local overlay on your machine. In the text below, replace "fitzcarraldo" with your user name.

1. Save the following as /home/fitzcarraldo/dcp330clpr-1.0.1.ebuild

Code:
# Copyright 1999-2010 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

EAPI=3

inherit rpm

DESCRIPTION="Brother DCP-330C LPR driver"
HOMEPAGE="http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=dcp330c_all&os=127"
SRC_URI="dcp330clpr-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm"

LICENSE="GPL"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="~x86 ~amd64"
IUSE=""
RESTRICT="fetch strip"
DOWNLOAD_URL="http://download.brother.com/welcome/dlf005368/dcp330clpr-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm"

DEPEND=""
RDEPEND="${DEPEND}"

pkg_nofetch() {
   einfo "Please download ${A} from ${DOWNLOAD_URL}."
   einfo "Select 'I Accept' and move the file to ${DISTDIR}."
}

src_unpack() {
   rpm_unpack || die "Error unpacking ${A}."
}

src_install() {
   cp -r $WORKDIR $D
   mv $D/work/* $D
   rm -r $D/work/
}

2. Save the following as /home/fitzcarraldo/dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1.ebuild

Code:
# Copyright 1999-2010 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

EAPI=3

inherit rpm

DESCRIPTION="Brother DCP-330C CUPS wrapper"
HOMEPAGE="http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=dcp330c_all&os=127"
SRC_URI="dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm"

LICENSE="GPL"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="~x86 ~amd64"
IUSE=""
RESTRICT="fetch strip"
DOWNLOAD_URL="http://download.brother.com/welcome/dlf005371/dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm"

DEPEND="
   app-text/a2ps
   net-print/dcp330clpr
"
RDEPEND="${DEPEND}"

pkg_nofetch() {
   einfo "Please download ${A} from ${DOWNLOAD_URL}."
   einfo "Select 'I Accept' and move the file to ${DISTDIR}."
}

src_unpack() {
   rpm_unpack || die "Error unpacking ${A}."
}

src_install() {
   cp -r $WORKDIR $D
   mv $D/work/* $D
   rm -r $D/work/
}

pkg_postinst() {
   echo
   einfo "If you can't print, create the following symlink:"
   einfo "ln -s /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperdcp330c
   /usr/libexec/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperdcp330c"
   echo
}

3. Download dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm and dcp330clpr-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm from the Brother download site to the directory /home/fitzcarraldo/Downloads/.

4. Enter the following commands as root user:

Code:
cp /home/fitzcarraldo/Downloads/dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm /usr/portage/distfiles/
cp /home/fitzcarraldo/Downloads/dcp330clpr-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm /usr/portage/distfiles/
mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/net-print/dcp330clpr
mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/net-print/dcp330ccupswrapper
cd /usr/local/portage/net-print/dcp330clpr
cp /home/fitzcarraldo/Desktop/dcp330clpr-1.0.1.ebuild .
ebuild --force dcp330clpr-1.0.1.ebuild manifest
cd /usr/local/portage/net-print/dcp330ccupswrapper
cp /home/fitzcarraldo/Desktop/dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1.ebuild .
ebuild --force dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1.ebuild manifest
emerge -1v dcp330ccupswrapper dcp330clpr
etc-update # Just in case there are some config files to update. Enter -3 then answer yes to all.

N.B. If the merge fails because of collision protection, try again, prefixing the emerge command as follows:

Code:
FEATURES="-collision-detect -protect-owned" emerge -1v dcp330ccupswrapper dcp330clpr

N.B. If the above ebuild commands or the emerge command tries to re-download the RPM packages from the Brother Web site and you get an error message about the RPM package not being a tar file or being corrupt, have a look in /usr/portage/distfiles/ and delete any files containing "checksum_failure" as part of the file name. Then disconnect your machine from the network and repeat the above commands (with the exception of the mkdir commands, as the directories now already exist.)

5. If you have sys-apps/file-5.06 installed, you also need to enter the following command to install a later version, as version 5.06 stops some Brother printers from working correctly:

Code:
emerge -1v sys-apps/file

N.B. Even though the script /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp330c/cupswrapper/dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1 installed from the RPM package is not correct for Gentoo Linux, I am not certain that Steps 6 and 7 below are necessary, and I don't have a Brother printer so I can't find out. It may be that simply restarting the CUPS daemon (or, alternatively, rebooting) at this point would be sufficient. To simply restart the CUPS daemon, you would use the command:

Code:
/etc/init.d/cupsd restart

Anyway, Steps 6 and 7 won't do any harm (and may be necessary). If you decide to skip Steps 6 and 7 and see if the printer can still be installed and work correctly, you must at least restart the CUPS daemon (or, alternatively, reboot) at this point.

6. Open the script file /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp330c/cupswrapper/dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1 with a text editor. If it contains "/etc/init.d/cups" change that to "/etc/init.d/cupsd" (the RPM package is for a different distribution, remember). Also, if it contains "/etc/rc.d/" then change that to "/etc/init.d/" (ditto). Basically, make sure that you have "/etc/init.d/" everywhere rather than "/etc/rc.d/", and that you have "/etc/init.d/cupsd" everywhere rather than "/etc/init.d/cups" or "/etc/rc.d/cups" or whatever.

7. Run the dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1 script:

Code:
cd /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp330c/cupswrapper
./dcp330ccupswrapper-1.0.1

8. Launch a Web browser and enter http://localhost:631/ into the Address bar in order to use the CUPS manager. Use CUPS to install the printer.

--------------------------------------------------------

NOTE 1

Before doing any the above:

Edit the file /etc/make.conf and make sure it has the following lines in it at the end of the file:

Code:
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY} /usr/local/portage/"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"

Give your Portage local overlay a name:

Code:
mkdir /usr/local/portage/profiles
echo "local_overlay" > /usr/local/portage/profiles/repo_name

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Brother dcp/mfc-XXXX Reply with quote

developer1 wrote:
Gentoo does not support Brother products at all. Why? have no idea. No workaround for this. Just dont work and thats it.

Patches welcome.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath for an answer. :)

Other threads:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-990252.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7546888.html#7546888
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: