systemd and lvm: timed out
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javitury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: systemd and lvm: timed out Reply with quote

Hi,

I've used fedora for some years, but gentoo caught my attention so I decided to try it. I have lvm on luks in fedora so I created a new logical volume on that lvm, installed gentoo and got it to boot with less trouble than expected, my hdd and gentoo mount points looks like this:

- /dev/sda2 /boot
- /dev/sda5
- Luks container
- LVM - group name -> fedora
fedora/root
fedora/home
fedora/swap swap
fedora/gentoo /

my /etc/fstab

/dev/sda2 /boot ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/mapper/fedora-gentoo / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/mapper/fedora-swap none swap defaults 0 0
#/dev/mapper/fedora-root /mnt/fedoraroot ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user 0 0
none /selinux selinuxfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noexec,nosuid,rootcontext=system_u:object_r:tmp_t 0 0
#tmpfs /run tmpfs mode=0755,nosuid,nodev,rootcontext=system_u:object_r:var_run_t 0 0

I have selinux installed but it is in permissive mode

The system boots OK with openrc, but when using systemd there is a pause of 1 minute and a half because of this:

from /var/log/boot.log:

[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-mapper-fedora\x2dswap.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /dev/mapper/fedora-swap.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Swap.

from /var/log/messages:

Apr 24 15:04:09 localhost systemd[1]: Expecting device dev-mapper-fedora\x2dswap.device...
Apr 24 15:05:39 localhost systemd[1]: Job dev-mapper-fedora\x2dswap.device/start timed out.
Apr 24 15:05:39 localhost systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-mapper-fedora\x2dswap.device.
Apr 24 15:05:39 localhost systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /dev/mapper/fedora-swap.

There is nothing related in dmesg

The system boots correctly and I get to a normal session but the swap partition isn't activated on boot. However the volume is listed correctly in /dev/mapper and lvm2 activates the volume group correctly prior to this error. Furthermore I can activate it using "swapon /dev/mapper/fedora-swap" without problem.

There are no logs for any of the "failed" units which are dev-mapper-fedora\x2dswap.device, dev-mapper-fedora\x2dswap.swap and swap.target. No logs using "systemctl status <name of unit>" or "journalctl -u <name of unit>", their status isn't even failed but inactive (dead)

systemd-udevd has the following log but seems to be unrelated because of the hour:
Apr 24 14:27:56 localhost systemd[1]: Started udev Kernel Device Manager.
Apr 24 14:27:56 localhost systemd-udevd[3384]: IMPORT{builtin}: 'uaccess' unknown /lib64/udev/rules.d/73-seat-late.rules:15

I had planned to mount fedora-home also as /home in gentoo however before messing up my configuration files I tried to mount /dev/mapper/fedora-root (just to check any problem with lvm) on /mnt/fedoraroot (having created previously that directory) using /etc/fstab and then systemd goes to emergency mode. I don't get any shell, Am I supposed to get one in emergency mode?

I've noticed a subtle difference, when I boot in fedora and I open nautilus, in the devices list I just get my filesystem and the gentoo partition while when I boot in gentoo nautilus shows me my filesystem and the luks partition called "encrypted device". When I click it I am asked for the password to unlock it even though it is already unlocked. I cannot check this using openrc because gnome doesn't work with openrc.

On fedora if I do "ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid" there are symbolic links to lvm logical volumes but on gentoo there aren't with openrc or systemd

I've used systemd.log_level=info as an argument for the kernel line in order to get some logs, but they are as poor as before. Upgrading to systemd-212-r2, the testing version, doesn't solve the problem either.

Is this a bug or have I misconfigured something?
javitury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I solved it. The issue is that I had mixed 2 guides with the gentoo handbook and I ended up installing genkernel instead of genkernel-next. I got an error each time I used "--udev" telling me that the udev option wasn't recognized so I thought that udev support had to be already included and I ignored it from them on. I couldn't be so wrong.

So if you encounter problems when mounting your partitions on boot with systemd, check it!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: