Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Can not add language layout to KDE/systemd?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Can not add language layout to KDE/systemd? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a computer with Gnome/Systemd and now added KDE -
So now I have multi DEs with gdm login manager.
However, I have a strange problem - I can not add local language keyboard layout to KDE. Gnome has it already.
BTW - I tried to switch to kdm login manager but it has additional problems, like:
I can not get Terminal by Crl+Alt+F1 - It is stuck on a line before getting to the host_name line.

Last edited by pmam on Wed May 21, 2014 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these error lines in kdm.log, maybe it can help find out why can not add local language:
Code:
kdmgreet(1678)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): No time zone information obtained from ktimezoned
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            Can't find file "US" for symbols include
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>                   Ignoring extra symbols
> Warning:          Compat map for group 2 redefined
>                   Using new definition
> Warning:          Compat map for group 3 redefined
> Warning:          Compat map for group 4 redefined

And in Xorg.0.log:
Code:
49.411] (EE) Error loading keymap /var/lib/xkb/server-0.xkm
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pmam.

I don't know if you already knowing the systemd Wiki. If not, it could help you eventually to implement forgotten steps for implementing the missing functions.

Eventually you have to start here, at the hostname or Locale setting: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd#Hostname

I've tried out systemd shortly for a test, to better know the dark side of the force. Yes, I'm one of those systemd haters which devide most Users into two groups of pros and cons.
But I did it only for a KDE installation, what you try to do is much more ambitious, but hopefully possible, as for openrc in those good old days, when actual gnome versions doesn't need systemd to work.

But I don't want to start here a new rant thread, cause we already have enough of it.

By the way, I had similar symptoms when I try to switch via Ctrl+Alt+F1 to the first console, but not with the hostname and the locale, which works well.
Nevertheless it could be normal systemd behaviour to not release the first console fully, cause systemd also control the graphical login-manager AFAIK.

That's why I thought - must be normal for it, but I don't like that too, beside of all those other arguments I don't want to name here again.

Hopefully the more experienced systemd users could show you the way to success, for your application conditions.

Much success,

Andy.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Andy,

Yes, I know systemd Wiki and already have done needed steps regarding hostname and locales.
In the first stage I installed Gnome/systemd without problems with local language and getting to terminal with Crl+Alt+F1 - These are ok.
The problem is that after a while the Main menu's icons disappear -
I opened another topic and still have not got any solution: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-988792.html

While I am writing to you this post, I added a nvidia graphic card, instead of the Intel on-board,
and for now Gnome/systemd is working very nice and icons not going any where :D
If it will remain so - First of all I will be happy, because I do like the modern look of Gnome3 - Is there similar DE for openRC?
Secondly - This fact can help to find out the cause of this problem - As you can see in the 'disappearing icons' topic -
Another user, called Pma, has same problem with a similar Intel on-board GPU!!!

At the moment, I added another DE -KDE, so now I have multi DEs.
I wanted to see if KDE works OK without any graphic problem like with Gnome (icons disappearing).
KDE is working ok, but as I post here - there is a problem with adding local language and switching to terminal.

I understand that there is a big discussion regarding systemd - I am facing with some problems that probably have to do with this discussion.
However, I want to give it a chance! I am quite new Gentoo's user (and systemd) but start to see that systemd is quite sensitive to computer's hardware -
Maybe it will take sometime to overcome this issue. I wonder - How long systemd is exist? Is it very new without enough experience -
or you think that the idea is problematic ? Other linux Distros have better results?

Thanks
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello pmam.

pmam wrote:
Dear Andy,

Yes, I know systemd Wiki and already have done needed steps regarding hostname and locales.
In the first stage I installed Gnome/systemd without problems with local language and getting to terminal with Crl+Alt+F1 - These are ok.
The problem is that after a while the Main menu's icons disappear -
I opened another topic and still have not got any solution: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-988792.html

While I am writing to you this post, I added a nvidia graphic card, instead of the Intel on-board,
and for now Gnome/systemd is working very nice and icons not going any where :D
snip
Secondly - This fact can help to find out the cause of this problem - As you can see in the 'disappearing icons' topic -
Another user, called Pma, has same problem with a similar Intel on-board GPU!!!

The disappearing problem seems to be Hardware driver specific eventually only in in combination with Gnome, to me. Hopefully just a matter of time when it should be fixed.

pmam wrote:

If it will remain so - First of all I will be happy, because I do like the modern look of Gnome3 - Is there similar DE for openRC?

At the moment, I added another DE -KDE, so now I have multi DEs.
I wanted to see if KDE works OK without any graphic problem like with Gnome (icons disappearing).
KDE is working ok, but as I post here - there is a problem with adding local language and switching to terminal.

There are lots of others DE, its a matter of taste which one you prefer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment
As I mentioned, after my test with systemd and kde, my first console was also locked by systemd, but my locale settings on the other consoles were right.
I never seen such a crap before, when using openRC for years. Also the way of managing services under systemd is not really intuitive an so comfortable and clear to me, as in openRC.
I admit, it could also be a matter of taste or practice.

pmam wrote:

I understand that there is a big discussion regarding systemd - I am facing with some problems that probably have to do with this discussion.
However, I want to give it a chance! I am quite new Gentoo's user (and systemd) but start to see that systemd is quite sensitive to computer's hardware -
Maybe it will take sometime to overcome this issue. I wonder - How long systemd is exist? Is it very new without enough experience -
or you think that the idea is problematic ? Other linux Distros have better results?
Thanks

I guess the most problems are related to the fact, that it is relative new (initial release 30 March 2010, fist "stable" release 25 March 2014) to Linux and under heavy development (its growing like cancer).
Not the idea of it is problematic, but more the way how its developers are implementing it, against all odds, less cooperating more eliminating good and reliable ways of Linux design.
But cause I'm no native speaker, its hard for me to express my arguments and so I would lost any discussion with a pro sytemd guy, when doing it not in my mother tongue.

Regarding systemd Fedora could/should be a little bit more ahead, regarding Gentoo, cause its their devs, who are programming most of this stuff.
The workflow takes some time, until its also implemented into every other Distro in the same featured version.

Nevertheless I've also seen younger live DVDs of Fedora, which shows the same behavior regarding not releasing the first console or doing other faults.
That's why I wonder how so much Distros get the crazy idea, in using systemd as their default init system already.

With Gentoo, you have the choice furthermore to choose what you want - and that's to be worth one's weight in gold!

So my strategy since years is as follows: Looking around what kind of interesting new features other Distros have, and if I like it, I implement it into my Gentoo System of choice, without getting all the bundled crap I don't like, to prevent my freedom of choice, other Distros would take away from me.

Just my 50 cent.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Andy,

As a new comer of Gentoo I firstly blame my self and try to looking for a solution in the net, each time I am facing a problem -
Thus, when you describing here the big picture, from your point of view (with much more experience than me...),
it is very useful and bring me about to re-considering of the steps a head!
If Systemd is immature yet and has quite long way to go, before will be reliable enough to users (specially new users like me),
I need to change my priority - I still want to give a chance to Systemd -
I really like the modern style of Gnome 3 and want to believe there is a good idea behind Systemd -
and hope the developers will proceed as fast as they can, however, due to shortage of time, I change the focus to openRC.

Thanks a lot
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I fixed the switching languages problem - I missed one of the input settings parameters... :wink:

Thanks
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pmam,

fine that you could solve your problem.

Best regards, Andy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: