View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: OS X Reply with quote

Hey All,

I have a g3 loaner. I went ahead and loaded 10.2 (upgrade not a fresh install). I like the new 10.2 but when i now choose to shut down it asks if im sure if I would like to shut down. Annoying it is. But does anyone know how to make the redudancy stop?

Also I would like to dual boot Jaguar and gentoo. But since I am new to this MAC world, i am uncertain of the partion table. As well as the boot loader procedure. Is there somewhere where i can find on how it works or if not where there is a step by step outline and I will figure it out later.

Thanks

-Mykey
ernstp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A easy way to do it is to download the mandrake ppc cd's and do a minimal install with them. It has a really nice installer that fixes a bootstrappartion for you (among other things).

But if you're a newbie, you could also stick to Mandrake. It's not that much difference in speed...
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Opps Reply with quote

10.2 is the latest mac OS X (jaguar) version. I did an update from 10.1.5

I also want to put gentoo really soon as well sharing the same HD. I have used a PC for the longest time and switching to the mac has been pleasent but i want to be as usual more than just a user. On the PC i have a server running FreeBSD 4.5 and I am happy with that as well. Mandrake i want to shy away from. Thanks for the input but I will try to be more specific next time.

The main question is tho, i dont want to have the redundancy check of whether or not i want to shut down. The next question is that I want to find a good doc on how to setup partions using mac-fdsk. I need this before i continue with setiup
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernst: the mandrake installer is horribly broken on 3 of my 5 ppc machines, and if you're going to advocate mandrake the Gentoo forums might not be the best place :)

As for speed difference there is actually a HUGE speed difference for me, and a HUGE difference in bloat, MDK is full of bloat.
ernstp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerk wrote:
ernst: the mandrake installer is horribly broken on 3 of my 5 ppc machines, and if you're going to advocate mandrake the Gentoo forums might not be the best place :)

It is? Ok, I used the 8.2beta for some time and it was actually really userfriendly on my iMac. I learned really much from Mandrake... enough so I could switch to Gentoo!

Gerk wrote:
As for speed difference there is actually a HUGE speed difference for me, and a HUGE difference in bloat, MDK is full of bloat.

Not that much speed difference for me... But enormous bloat-difference, better ppc support and simply better!
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out this link which tells you how to dual boot between OS X and debian. It has a nice section on partitioning. basically, you can use it to partition and install OS X, then jump to the gentoo ppc instructions. :)

debian page with good partitioning instructions:
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html

gentoo ppc install instructions:
http://gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-install.xml
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks zojas

I appreciate some material to read before i plung. I am new to the mac and I cant wait till i get the nerve to tear into the hardware more. Then software.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: